E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > pinking

08-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

pinking

ive got the use of a z4 3.0si, i know its not an e9x but i would appreciate help all the same. i notice when changing down going up hill there is a slight twinkling sound reminisent of pinking. i filled it with shell v power and its still doing it. if i change up to 6th and make the engine labour i cant hear it. i thought with modern ecu,s pinking was a thing of the past, any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Prob aint detenation then mate. Doubt a new Z4 would have det prob.

Get her to a dealer just incase.
      08-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
ive got the use of a z4 3.0si, i know its not an e9x but i would appreciate help all the same. i notice when changing down going up hill there is a slight twinkling sound reminisent of pinking. i filled it with shell v power and its still doing it. if i change up to 6th and make the engine labour i cant hear it. i thought with modern ecu,s pinking was a thing of the past, any ideas?
Are you also getting a metallic ticking sound at idle on occasion?

The 3.0 litre engines have had problems with the oil levels at the valve lifters. There is a 'self adjusting' bleed valve thingy that's supposed to stop this, but on cars that have been driven 'gently' of used purely for short journeys this can stick.

I had this on my car and it sounds like tappets under load.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Engine load should have no effect on lifter operation and/or noise.
      08-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

could be, when under heavy load ie in 6th and foot down it doesnt do it only changing down uphill. its a late old model. nice car but doesnt feel anywhere near as quick as the 335d. just thought the ecu should sort all that out.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 03:24 AM   #6
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
Engine load should have no effect on lifter operation and/or noise.
It's more about when you can hear it.

The metallic noise I am talking about is there all the time, it's just easier to hear at idle when the revs are low. You need to be outside of the car or have the windows down to pick it up though.

It speeds up as the engine speed increases. When the engine is revving or under load it's masked by other noise so all can discern (sometimes) is a little bit of metallic tinkling, which sounds a bit like worn tappets (or knocking).

Whilst acerboo doesn't seem to have the 'ticking' at low engine speeds (or maybe hasn't noticed), I still think this could be related to oil supply and valve lifters rather than a detonation problem.

Modern cars have knock sensors so the ECU should prevent straightforward engine knocking.

Either way, it needs looking at ASAP.
Appreciate 0