E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > 328 i or xi to go skiing?

09-04-2006, 07:23 PM   #1
GF
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 340i xdrive MT +M perf 1+2

328 i or xi to go skiing?

I know there has been so many discussions about getting xdrive or not but I haven't found much information about my situation and would like your feedback.

I live in Montreal and go skiing 8-10 times a year in the Laurentians and Jay Peak, VT and I'm having a hard time deciding if I should get the 2007 328i or xi sedan.

Any insight?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2006, 09:34 PM   #2
ssam
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: carefully

Hi GF,

I forgot to mention that I go skiing several times/winter mainly in Bromont and Tremblant and without any problem....

The most important thing is to have good winter s tires
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 11:07 AM   #3
weiher
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssam
Hi GF,

I forgot to mention that I go skiing several times/winter mainly in Bromont and Tremblant and without any problem....

The most important thing is to have good winter s tires
Hi ssam - It sounds like you drive in the same conditions that I would be driving in - I've been really leaning towards an Xi because I don't want to be stuck, stranded, or whatever in any kinds of conditions. I really need an all-weather car. My old Accord has gotten me thru the winters on reasonble winter tires (though not great ones) and I was more or less pleased with that. I've never worried about getting stuck or not being able to get home because of weather - I just drive accordingly. If I knew I could expect something similar with a non-Xi car, with good or great winter tires, then I would love to give up the complexity and expense of an Xi and go with straight RWD. I'm commuting between Ottawa and Mirabel along the back roads and skiing up in St-Sauveur weeknights. Whether it's bad weather or good, I want to be able to go if I need to.

Who did you buy your car from? How's the service been?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 07:11 PM   #4
ssam
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: carefully

I bought it from park avenue bmw (brossard) and the service was good so far....

Of course it s a RWD and during a snow storm it s not as easy to drive as an FWD
If being stuck is something you can t tolerate it might be better to go with an xi

Regarding me I used to be stuck at least once each winter with my previous car (FWD) but not yet with my 325i......I know it s going to happen sooner or later and I can live with it
1993-2001 vw jetta 1.6l 75hp
Appreciate 0