E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW Assist Worthless with Stolen Car?

Closed Thread

08-09-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
E90Eric
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i LCI

BMW Assist Worthless with Stolen Car?

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and about to buy a new 335i on Monday or Tuesday. The car literally has every option except active cruise so I'm really looking to protect my investment. Is my understanding correct in that if my car were stolen and the thief simply lifted the rear trunk floor mat, disconnected the three or four cables to the TCU and removed the TCU from the car that BMW assist would no longer be able to track the car?!?!?! Seems way too easy to defeat what could be an awesome technology. I guess I should do lowjack instead? Thanks for your help, I'm just trying to figure out what all I need to buy before signing on the dotted line. . .
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Eric View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and about to buy a new 335i on Monday or Tuesday. The car literally has every option except active cruise so I'm really looking to protect my investment. Is my understanding correct in that if my car were stolen and the thief simply lifted the rear trunk floor mat, disconnected the three or four cables to the TCU and removed the TCU from the car that BMW assist would no longer be able to track the car?!?!?! Seems way too easy to defeat what could be an awesome technology. I guess I should do lowjack instead? Thanks for your help, I'm just trying to figure out what all I need to buy before signing on the dotted line. . .
If someone wants your car that badly, let them take it and get a new one from your insurance company. People on this forum are entirely too paranoid. It's a 50K insured vehicle, not a briefcase full of a million dollars.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Low&Slow

Cars have never been stolen from my family before, but my guess is it's a very stressful situation. I think I'd rather keep my car than have to deal with insurance companies and hope I get my money.

Montego Blue 2007 E92 335i - ZSP / ZPP / Steptronic / Logic7
Broadway Static - CCW - Megan - Orion
Instagram: bmwforlife
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomama69 View Post
If someone wants your car that badly, let them take it and get a new one from your insurance company. People on this forum are entirely too paranoid. It's a 50K insured vehicle, not a briefcase full of a million dollars.
Forgive me if my reply sounds abit how can I put this? Straight forward but getting a new car through insurance can take a long time especially if you claim in the first year, and if the car is traceable then it's better that the car be found with abit of damage which can be repaired easily (even privately if you have the money and don't want an increased premium for living in an area with a higher rate of car theft.) rather than never finding the car at all. As for the original question I'm not sure but I am sure that someone will answer soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
+1

Believe me, I would be extremely pissed if someone stole one of my cars. But you and I pay insurance for a reason. As much as that situation would suck, your insurance company will take care of you.

Don't worry about it so much. The odds are very slim.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
Stinger44
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Quote:
BMWs are not even in the top 10 most stolen cars. Not even close.
      08-09-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
Forgive me if my reply sounds abit how can I put this? Straight forward but getting a new car through insurance can take a long time especially if you claim in the first year, and if the car is traceable then it's better that the car be found with abit of damage which can be repaired easily (even privately if you have the money and don't want an increased premium for living in an area with a higher rate of car theft.) rather than never finding the car at all. As for the original question I'm not sure but I am sure that someone will answer soon.
Please ask the M3 owner whose car was stolen from The Palms in Vegas if he would have preferred the car never have been found.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

Quote:
a woman at my dealer told me that all they have to do is remove the shark fin and it cant be traced. is this true?
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
E90Eric
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i LCI

Yea, I know my fear is probably a little out there. It's just I've waited three months for the perfect 335 to come in and now that I've seen it I'm in love. I can't imagine driving a Ford Focus rental for a month while waiting for my insurance company to lowball me on a replacement.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #10
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Please ask the M3 owner whose car was stolen from The Palms in Vegas if he would have preferred the car never have been found.
So it was damaged BUT now that he got it back, he can have it repaired and be driving it around rather than having to wait for a replacement which could take forever and maybe some people have sentimentel values for their cars and would prefer the same one than getting a replacement? Just a thought

But I can see where youre coming from, so you should understand where Im coming from. Insurance FTW!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #11
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
So it was damaged BUT now that he got it back, he can have it repaired and be driving it around rather than having to wait for a replacement which could take forever and maybe some people have sentimentel values for their cars and would prefer the same one than getting a replacement? Just a thought

But I can see where youre coming from, so you should understand where Im coming from. Insurance FTW!
IIRC, it took him like 2-3 months to get the car back and now has an encumbered title from theft recovery. Even if the car is repaired 100%, residual value is highly affected.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #12
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
IIRC, it took him like 2-3 months to get the car back and now has an encumbered title from theft recovery. Even if the car is repaired 100%, residual value is highly affected.
Correct, and the car is never 100% again. Nothing is ever repaired to new factory spec. That guy had a lot of damage on the car so I hope for his sake it was a lease. Can't remember if it was or not.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #13
Dwill335i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i White/Beige

BMW Assist is basically like Onstar or MBs Tele-Aid. It's not a new magic technology and is mainly there for communications, not specifically for anti-theft. If you disconnect the unit in any of them, they won't be able to track the car. If you want Lojack technology, you have to get Lojack.

I'd be more worried about the fact that the cars don't even come standard with an alarm.
      08-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #14
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Not after telling amateur thieves the location of the TCU & what to do

It is a worthy option to have.
      08-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #15
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Quote:
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
Believe me, I would be extremely pissed if someone stole one of my cars. But you and I pay insurance for a reason. As much as that situation would suck, your insurance company will take care of you.

Don't worry about it so much. The odds are very slim.
and this.
      08-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #16
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

LoJack is no different. There's only so many places the lojack unit can be placed. Find it, snip snip, no more LoJack.

Or even just yank the battery and tow it away on a flatbed, which is likely what will happen since you cant really drive away these cars anyways without a key.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #17
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananaz18 View Post
a woman at my dealer told me that all they have to do is remove the shark fin and it cant be traced. is this true?
I was told the same thing when I bought my car. Mind you it was from the business manager as part of trying to sell me the Boomerang system.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #18
Neutrino45
Major
Rep
Drives: XXX

Quote:
Man, you should delete your post before Google indexes it or any armature car thief can learn how to disable our car's tracking capability!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 07:25 PM   #19
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

i dont know what kind of insurance you have but it doesn't take that much time to get insurance to help you get a new car...

but nonetheless, they pay what your car is worth at the time of theft, not what you paid for it....
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #20
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Odds are that you'll get in a major accident before your car will ever be stolen. Probably best not to drive the car. Ever.

Okay I'm being facetious, but hey we can't go thru life worrying about this stuff. They're just cars, they can be replaced. After you've owned a lot of them in your lifetime you tend to quit worrying.

I understand the first time car ownership fears, but put all those negative thoughts of "what if" out of your head and enjoy life. Think positive and good things will happen. That's the best protection in the world.

Congrats and enjoy your new ride
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #21
atwell3993
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

Go out, buy a 500 gb hard drive. Go out, buy a security camera. Hook up the security camera, put it on a 24 hour loop on the highest resolution.

08 335xi | Sport | Cold Weather | Black on black | KW V1 | 19" VMR VB3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
When even your heroes are criminals, what do you expect?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 03:53 AM   #22
TommyK
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i LCI

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i LCI  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
in a year ive only heard of one guy on the forum that has had his car stolen. dont quote me but im pretty sure about that.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread