E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DTC button not working

08-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
alpini
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F32 420d M Sport Coupe

Garage List
DTC button not working

my dtc button seems to have stopped working - when i'm driving along, the DTC lights and sometimes the triangle flash up in the larger display on the dash. they keep going on and off (nothing to down with cornering etc. - they randomly come on). when i try to hit DTC button, nothing happens - i've tried holding it for 3 secs as well, then hitting it once more, but absolutely nothing happening on screen.

anyone know what could be happening? - hopefully nothing major - don't want to have to take her back to dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
spirocheter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 535d, E90 335d

I've never been quite sure how my DTC works... thought it operated in two stages, though seems to be only one choice ... off or on. Flashing on and off though, I'd want to get the dealer to check it if under warranty. If it is major, would want it performed under warranty, if not might take it to an independent dealer to get code read then post on forum??

How is the handling and is there any retardation of power?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpini View Post
my dtc button seems to have stopped working - when i'm driving along, the DTC lights and sometimes the triangle flash up in the larger display on the dash. they keep going on and off (nothing to down with cornering etc. - they randomly come on). when i try to hit DTC button, nothing happens - i've tried holding it for 3 secs as well, then hitting it once more, but absolutely nothing happening on screen.

anyone know what could be happening? - hopefully nothing major - don't want to have to take her back to dealer.
If you drive regularly and in "M motorsport" mode then, you might want to get the stealer check it properly, as the dtc/dsc functions are very important in performance driving...just my 2p....
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 04:56 AM   #4
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Yeah take it to the dealer.

The alternative? Well take apart your dash and check for loose connections... but if that doesnt work - well back to the dealer anyway.

If you car is in warranty, dont mess about mate.

As for how the DTC button works... there are 3 modes.

As standard when you turn the car on, dynamic traction control and his friends will all be at their most agressive should you slide, lock your breaks etc and apparently the car wont accelerate as agressively either as there will be a 'soft' assist with regards to limiting torque.

Give the button a stab, and you engage something else which should tell you via I-Drive if you have it that traction control is limited, but that dynamic stability control is now in operation - this is a much less agressive version, but can still be used for day to day driving (Tony uses it ALL the time, as do I, and some others no doubt) in conjunction with M-Sport or Manual modes in an auto, or manual gearboxes its the preferred choice for using all the power you have in something like a 330 or upwards. I would guess it enables you to get the best out of any BM to be honest but I have never felt how much power a 325 puts down anyway, I suspect you can get em sideways more than readily enough.

Anyway, press and hold the button for about 5 seconds and you engage the suicidal traction control completely off mode... in my 560lbs/ft and 355bhp car - I leave this well alone, but have tried it once or twice when trying to see how quickly I could launch in a straight line or whatever - it never really helped me. It did help a little in the snow earlier this year!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
spirocheter
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Yeah take it to the dealer.

The alternative? Well take apart your dash and check for loose connections... but if that doesnt work - well back to the dealer anyway.

If you car is in warranty, dont mess about mate.

As for how the DTC button works... there are 3 modes.

As standard when you turn the car on, dynamic traction control and his friends will all be at their most agressive should you slide, lock your breaks etc and apparently the car wont accelerate as agressively either as there will be a 'soft' assist with regards to limiting torque.

Give the button a stab, and you engage something else which should tell you via I-Drive if you have it that traction control is limited, but that dynamic stability control is now in operation - this is a much less agressive version, but can still be used for day to day driving (Tony uses it ALL the time, as do I, and some others no doubt) in conjunction with M-Sport or Manual modes in an auto, or manual gearboxes its the preferred choice for using all the power you have in something like a 330 or upwards. I would guess it enables you to get the best out of any BM to be honest but I have never felt how much power a 325 puts down anyway, I suspect you can get em sideways more than readily enough.

Anyway, press and hold the button for about 5 seconds and you engage the suicidal traction control completely off mode... in my 560lbs/ft and 355bhp car - I leave this well alone, but have tried it once or twice when trying to see how quickly I could launch in a straight line or whatever - it never really helped me. It did help a little in the snow earlier this year!

Matt
Ah-ha! Thanks for that Matt, I'm sure I looked it up in the manual and it did not explain to press and hold for five seconds (though the manual is lacking in other respects too... no torque settings for wheel nuts, thank e90 though for all things not in manual).

I hadn't noticed the iDrive come up with any notification, though will check it out tomorrow. Would certainly like to use a 'half way house' mode, but full blown off would not be for me on the road... may be an empty track (which I've yet to try).

Just got my 225s on, though I've to finish spraying one last hub tomorrow, if not too busy with work. Will be interesting to see if handling any different with 19s instead of the 18s. Might be looking to sell my 18s or else I'll keep them for the track.

Jon
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
spirocheter
First Lieutenant
Rep

Again thanks.... DTC switched half way off is a huge improvement, not driven in wet yet though with switched off, but launch rates much less retarded by traction control! I would not like the system completely switched off on public roads, so this is a great improvement over the system on my last car ... e46
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
alpini
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F32 420d M Sport Coupe

Garage List
contacted dealer... they're gona take her in start of september. they don't think anything major - told me it's safe enough to keep driving - just watch corners on a wet day!!
Appreciate 0