E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Curbed Alloy - Patch up or full refurb?

08-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Curbed Alloy - Patch up or full refurb?

After some advice from peeps who have had wheels repaired – patch up or full refurb?

Prestige Wheels came out this Friday and took one look and said he didn’t really want to try to patch up the damage . Something about my BM wheels...they have multi coats of paint/lacquer and as the damage has gone down to different layers I may be able to spot the repair.

He suggest taking the alloy away and stripping it down in a chemical bath (?!) to get that even new finish. That sounds great, but will it look different from the other three?

Or should I just try the patch up and hope the repair isnt noticable?

Cheers.

Last edited by TMP; 08-17-2009 at 02:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 06:16 AM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
After some advice from peeps who have had wheels repaired – patch up or full refurb?

Prestige Wheels came out this Friday and took one look and said he didn’t really want to try to patch up the damage . Something about my BM wheels...they have multi coats of paint/lacquer and as the damage has gone down to different layers I may be able to spot the repair.

He suggest taking the alloy away and stripping it down in a chemical bath (?!) to get that even new finish. That sounds great, but will it look different from the other three?

Or should I just try the patch up and hope the repair isnt noticable?

Cheers.
Let Pristine work on the wheel properly, and have it refurbed 100%. They have the standard BMW wheel paint, which I believe is Straight Silver, and it will match up perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 06:55 AM   #3
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Thanks Tony - just the reassurance I wanted.
      08-17-2009, 07:13 AM   #4
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Let Pristine work on the wheel properly, and have it refurbed 100%. They have the standard BMW wheel paint, which I believe is Straight Silver, and it will match up perfectly.
Hi Tony, I need to get my wheels refurbed at some point too. I know you've previously recommended Lepsons, so would you advise I go to them, or lookup Pristine? Or are they both as good as each other?