BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > UK

08-28-2009, 05:53 AM   #1
Mollox
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite E92 M3

EDC - Can anyone really notice the difference?

(...between modes)

I'm talking normal road driving (I live in suburban north london) because I pretty much can't...

There seems to be no discernable difference between Normal and Comfort but I'd say that I can notice just how uncomfortable when its set to Sport.

Any differences appear to be so subtle that I wonder if mine is working. In fairness to the system, I haven't rememebered to go out and actively try and test the differences - just seems that for an option that people rave about as being Obligatory, there's not much shaking with it at the end of the day...

Am I alone?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
cienzod
Rookie
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 E83 // Mini Cooper S vert

I drive on a mix of country roads an city roads practically everyday. I have to say that I do notice the difference between Comfort & Normal on the country roads. Normal definitely stiffens up when pushing it into corners, there's a definite less willingness to roll.

I don't notice the difference between Normal & Sport, although I've been told, that you'd only really notice the difference on a track. Given the difference I notice between Comfort & Normal, I've got no reason to doubt that.

Generally, if I'm in town or motorway, I switch to Comfort.
      08-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

I just leave mine on Sport all the time
      08-29-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedtrap View Post
I just leave mine on Sport all the time
me too
      08-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
J1220
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe 09

I have mine set to comfort for key setting and normal for 'M' mode. I have tried the sports settign and it is hard for my liking. I must be getting old!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 06:20 AM   #6
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
yes I notice it, especially under spirited overtaking on the m4. On sport the car is super aglie. I prefer to kick into normal on bump roads as the car doesn't wallow about as much.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #7
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1220 View Post
I have mine set to comfort for key setting and normal for 'M' mode.
Same here - comfort for every day rides arround town, normal assigned to the "M" button for spirited driving.
Sport only makes sense arround the track IMO, and even in bumpy tracks normal is best becasue it is adaptive (whilst sport is not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cienzod View Post
I have to say that I do notice the difference between Comfort & Normal on the country roads. Normal definitely stiffens up when pushing it into corners, there's a definite less willingness to roll.

I don't notice the difference between Normal & Sport, although I've been told, that you'd only really notice the difference on a track. Given the difference I notice between Comfort & Normal, I've got no reason to doubt that.

Generally, if I'm in town or motorway, I switch to Comfort.
Normal and comfort are adaptive based on driving conditions (bumps, turns etc). Obviously normal is stiffer to minimise body roll.
In Sport the stiffness is fixed to 75% of the max stiffness irrespective of the prevailing driving conditions. (I can't recall where I have read the 75% figure but even if it is not 75% it is a certain stiff fixed value).

The best way to feel the difference between the 3 modes is to switch whilst driving on stone pavements (such as these found in pedestrian areas).
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
MontyRFC
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E93, 07 S-Class, LR Disco

I didn't bother ordering it. I read that without it the system was set a little harder than normal and imo unless you are going to track the car (and I don't understand people wanting to track an M3, why not buy a proper track car, the M3 is just a road car.....but then I bought the convertible so you can all tell me to naff off for being a pansy if you like ;-)) It rides fine as it is, wouldn't want it any harder or softer for that matter. £1250 trousered thanks v much
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 11:24 AM   #9
Hayzi
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 09 E92, BMW S1000 RR Bike

I have EDC and it's great, cruise around in comfort! Worth every penny and also help sell the car when it's time to go.

Can't see the point in owning a M3 or any other high performance vehicle just to drive on the road or to say (I have a M3) as the car will never be driven anywhere near it's potential on a UK road. Not saying I can drive it to it's potential on a track but once you have done trackdays it's a drug.

Sorry just my opinion
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #10
MontyRFC
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E93, 07 S-Class, LR Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayzi View Post
I have EDC and it's great, cruise around in comfort! Worth every penny and also help sell the car when it's time to go.

Can't see the point in owning a M3 or any other high performance vehicle just to drive on the road or to say (I have a M3) as the car will never be driven anywhere near it's potential on a UK road. Not saying I can drive it to it's potential on a track but once you have done trackdays it's a drug.

Sorry just my opinion
I do totally understand tracking your car to explore its limits and your own. I don't understand being a serious track enthusiast and wanting to track an M3. Just my feelings towards it
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 03:55 AM   #11
CardinalZeus77
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.2 Carrera S

Garage List
I keep mine on Comfort for key setting and Sport for "M" mode.
I have tried all three settings and you can notice the difference.
Sold: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange
Sold: E92 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red Leather
Appreciate 0