E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Rear brake pad wear sensor story

08-29-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
Tunna_uk
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Rear brake pad wear sensor story

Hi Guys
Well thanks to the advice on this forum, I got rid of my warning light for the rear brake pads. It would seem that these sensors will start to wear down quite early on in the life of the pads, and I'm guessing that the computer on the car will receive a different resistance reading or something as the sensor wears down-result is a fairly acurate milage indication of the life left in the brake pads.
Like some people on hear who can't help themselve when they get a new car, they go fiddling about with things and me being one of these- (the wife said she had lost me when I got my new car) I ended up trying to reset the readout on the dash for the rear pads-(as they were new) but ended up getting two warning lights that won't go away no matter what you try untill you repalce the sensor.
So I took some pictures to explain the story:
1. Went to stealer this morning and bought new sensor. £19.21 pence thanks said the man.

Note the little nipple on the end...
Then it was off with the wheel using a nice safe jack and axle stand of course, and out with the wheel arch liner. Sensor unclips from pad,and a couple of clips hold cable.

Sensor connects under wheel arch liner here

Looking at end of old sensor you can see its worn down quite a bit...

Now while the arch liner is out I notice the end of the sill is full of mud.. so I get to cleaning it out

Turns out theres enough dirt in there to plant a garden

All out now thats better car is lighter now lol

getting carried away now and cleaned the inside of the wheel-

now look how close the sensor is to the disc on a NEW pad !!!! I was tempted to tie sensor up out of the way so it stays new, but in the end decided to fit it properly, they are not that much money to replace each time...???? And the warning system will work properly

Now the car would let me reset the miles on the brake pad indicator
Now shows 42,000 miles !!!!!
Moral of story, don't mess about
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 02:36 AM   #2
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Nice work - it just goes to show the nipple on the sensor contacts the disc well before the pad is anywhere near worn out!
      08-31-2009, 04:20 AM   #3
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Yeah the nipple wears away far too quick. From that picture the whole nipple will be worn off and you will still have about half you pad left.

Thats why I disconnected my sensor ages ago and cable tied it up inside the arch. I then check the pads every few months or so. I will need to replace them soon as I am now down to about a quarter left.
Appreciate 0