E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Koni FSD + Eibach Pro-Kit

09-12-2006, 10:29 PM   #1
eldestructo
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Koni FSD + Eibach Pro-Kit

I am thinking of installing this new matched set. As seen here:

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...036&perfCode=S

Has anyone else installed this? I am deciding between this and H&R Sport Springs + Koni Sports. I have heard good things about the FSDs and am curious about other people's thoughts.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2006, 03:36 PM   #2
Mark Chen
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11' E93 M3 LMB

Garage List
2011 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
I remember that HRC(Danny) have koni sport and H&R sport springs on his car
Maybe you can ask him

11' LMB E93
///M3

KW V3 / 19" BBS LM DB-SLD 20th limited edition / AP Racing Pro 5000+ BBK / Akrapovic Evolution Line Exhaust / Arkym Rear Diffuser
/Dinan Stage 2 Engine Transmission software
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2006, 03:45 PM   #3
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Same price here, http://www.suspensiononline.com/prod...-2150-4036.htm, but they've got free shipping.

I came real close to buying this kit ... but then I'd need new wheels ... and then new sways ... and then and then.

Read a lot of reviews on FSDs but not on this particular kit. From what I gather, it still rides a bit more firm that stock sport but takes out the sharp impacts.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2006, 04:11 PM   #4
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

i would pay a little more and go the koni yellow route since fsd's are non-adjustable. koni yellows and h&r sport would cost $910 before shipping on tirerack.
      09-13-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
JMeezee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 SG 335i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
I'm not able to comment on the ride quality of the FSD kit, but I am able to say that the H&R sport/Koni Sport combo rides slightly harsher than stock ZSP even at the softest setting. I've got to admit that I was slightly disappointed that ride quality wasn't the same as stock after I lowered it on the Yellows. I really hoped that at the softest setting that it would actually feel soft!

Handling definitely improved, but the real difference maker was the front and rear sway bars...jeez this thing handles like a go-cart now!

2007 SG E90 335i: OEM Spoiler / Hartge Replica lip / M-Tech Sides and Rear / ACS Replica roof spoiler / Blacklines / Eibach Pro-Kit Springs / Koni Yellows / 19" Miro M6 Reps / Modded CDV / 35-20 Tint / LUX 3.0 / MTEC Fogs / Stealth Turn Signals / OEM Leather Short Shift knob / NO TUNE YET so I drive slow
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2006, 06:12 PM   #6
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by shragon
i would pay a little more and go the koni yellow route since fsd's are non-adjustable. koni yellows and h&r sport would cost $910 before shipping on tirerack.
+1! I love my setup!

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2006, 07:35 PM   #7
SV Concepts
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner E60 M5

Whatever you decide to get, don't buy it from Tirerack - we have better prices for you
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2006, 02:48 PM   #8
eldestructo
Rep

Well I went against the grain and decided to try the matched eibach springs and FSD dampers. The issue wasn't price (it costs essentially the same as the H&R + Koni Sports), it was that this is also my daily driver/commuter with only the occassional autocross. They were only installed yesterday but so far I am very happy with them over the sports suspension that came with my 330i. I have done about 75 miles Bay Area freeways so far and the car absorbed the imperfections and felt very responsive. I haven't been out to hit the twisty roads yet, but am thinking of doing a skyline run (for those of you in the Bay Area) later this weekend. The car needs a wash so I will post some pics after I get around to it.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2006, 09:59 PM   #9
macboi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 e90

Garage List
2006 325  [0.00]
cool.. can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2006, 10:15 PM   #10
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldestructo
Well I went against the grain and decided to try the matched eibach springs and FSD dampers. The issue wasn't price (it costs essentially the same as the H&R + Koni Sports), it was that this is also my daily driver/commuter with only the occassional autocross. They were only installed yesterday but so far I am very happy with them over the sports suspension that came with my 330i. I have done about 75 miles Bay Area freeways so far and the car absorbed the imperfections and felt very responsive. I haven't been out to hit the twisty roads yet, but am thinking of doing a skyline run (for those of you in the Bay Area) later this weekend. The car needs a wash so I will post some pics after I get around to it.
Yeah keep us updated too, I am defintely interested in this combo..so no harsher then stock ZSP?
      09-17-2006, 12:02 AM   #11
tiga901
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i, mt pp sp

Quote:
W I haven't been out to hit the twisty roads yet, but am thinking of doing a skyline run (for those of you in the Bay Area) later this weekend. The car needs a wash so I will post some pics after I get around to it.

Who installed them for you in the Bay Area...

Next mod...Intake(Dinan or Gruppe M), Rogue SSK
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2006, 12:20 PM   #12
eldestructo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScBlacksunshine
Yeah keep us updated too, I am defintely interested in this combo..so no harsher then stock ZSP?

Nope, not harsher than ZSP. On the highway it feels nice and solid, but the bumps are absorbed more than with the stock shocks. However, it in no way feels like driving a boat, handling seems improved and tighter. My twisty drive didn't happen yesterday but I'm still hoping to get it in before tomorrow. As for installation, I got it done at Edge Motor Works in Dublin.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2006, 12:35 PM   #13
obLu
Major
Rep

Can't wait for the pics ... don't worry if the car is clean or not. I'm more interested in how low the car sits compared to stock zsp because I've seen some pics of eibachs that look just a tad bit under stock and I've seen some eibachs that look pretty slammed.

I've got a daily driver too, so I'm really intrigued by the FSD. But I'm not that excited about lowering the car much until I'm ready for bigger wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2006, 12:45 PM   #14
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Nope, not harsher than ZSP. On the highway it feels nice and solid, but the bumps are absorbed more than with the stock shocks. However, it in no way feels like driving a boat, handling seems improved and tighter. My twisty drive didn't happen yesterday but I'm still hoping to get it in before tomorrow. As for installation, I got it done at Edge Motor Works in Dublin.

When I contacted Edge, they were crazy with the labor prices, book time on everything...

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2006, 01:01 PM   #15
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by obLu
Can't wait for the pics ... don't worry if the car is clean or not. I'm more interested in how low the car sits compared to stock zsp because I've seen some pics of eibachs that look just a tad bit under stock and I've seen some eibachs that look pretty slammed.

I've got a daily driver too, so I'm really intrigued by the FSD. But I'm not that excited about lowering the car much until I'm ready for bigger wheels.

Nice, how much did everything cost you? how much does regular shop in SoCal charge I wonder. Also, did you get an alignment done at the dealer afterward?
      09-17-2006, 08:55 PM   #16
eldestructo
Rep

I was able to do a quick wash today, it is about time for the full zaino treatment so I can post more pics after I do that. Here are a couple of pics, the car really needs some spacers in the back after the drop (I'm thinking 12mm).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2006, 09:22 PM   #17
eldestructo
Rep

We had perfect weather in the Bay Area today (70 degrees and sunny) so I was able to open the sunroof, lower the driver's window (our stock exhaust is too quiet) and firm up the sport seats for a quick Skyline drive. For those who haven't been on Skyline before it runs along the top of a ridge of mountains about 20 miles south of San Francisco. Most of the way it is lined with redwoods however several clearings along the way allow you to see both the Bay and the Pacific ocean. It has some nice elevation changes and an ok road surface.

As for the new shocks and springs, they were great. A nice improvement over the stock ZSP. The car felt hunkered down and even when pushing it I didn't feel like the front end was losing traction. Around corners the car went exactly where I wanted it to go and while the handling was tight and deliberate the imperfect road surface didn't feel like it was shaking the car apart. The road was a little crowded with bicyclists today (many blind right hand turns) so I am looking forward to an autocross where I can really push it on a nice flat surface (where the FSDs should be at the stiffest setting). All together I am enjoying the new suspension so far. Next up, spacers for the back, then sway bars or exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2006, 09:46 PM   #18
obLu
Major
Rep

When you get some time, would you mind measuring the fender heights?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2006, 10:32 PM   #19
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep

Quote:
We had perfect weather in the Bay Area today (70 degrees and sunny) so I was able to open the sunroof, lower the driver's window (our stock exhaust is too quiet) and firm up the sport seats for a quick Skyline drive. For those who haven't been on Skyline before it runs along the top of a ridge of mountains about 20 miles south of San Francisco. Most of the way it is lined with redwoods however several clearings along the way allow you to see both the Bay and the Pacific ocean. It has some nice elevation changes and an ok road surface.

As for the new shocks and springs, they were great. A nice improvement over the stock ZSP. The car felt hunkered down and even when pushing it I didn't feel like the front end was losing traction. Around corners the car went exactly where I wanted it to go and while the handling was tight and deliberate the imperfect road surface didn't feel like it was shaking the car apart. The road was a little crowded with bicyclists today (many blind right hand turns) so I am looking forward to an autocross where I can really push it on a nice flat surface (where the FSDs should be at the stiffest setting). All together I am enjoying the new suspension so far. Next up, spacers for the back, then sway bars or exhaust.
btw, how much did everything cost you? I am looking to get the same set up soon, I've been reading nothing but good review on the FSD+Eibach combo
      09-17-2006, 10:46 PM   #20
aapriadi
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 AW 320i

ok now i'm confused..which is actually better? koni fsd or koni yellow?
      09-17-2006, 11:01 PM   #21
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapriadi
ok now i'm confused..which is actually better? koni fsd or koni yellow?

Well, just found out Koni FSD are OEM shocks for the Lamborghini Gallardos, that's good enough for me
      09-17-2006, 11:33 PM   #22
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

wow, that's nice~
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScBlacksunshine
Well, just found out Koni FSD are OEM shocks for the Lamborghini Gallardos, that's good enough for me