BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Rumor or truth: Ford Mustang to get a new 3.7 V6 and new 5.0 V8.

09-02-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Rumor or truth: Ford Mustang to get a new 3.7 V6 and new 5.0 V8.

Quote:
2011-2012 Mustang info.

3.7L V6 to be rated at 315 horsepower: Same as 2010 GT; 15 hp more than Camaro V6
No immediate plans for EcoBoost V6 Mustang due to small horsepower gap between EcoBoost and 5.0L V8 (365 vs 400)
2011 Mustang GT to be rated at 400 horsepower, will get increase in 2012
2011 Mustang GT to get 6-speed transmission and variable valve timing
2011 Mustang GT Track Pack to include Brembo brakes
2011 Mustang GT 5.0L V8, 6-speed, track pack, Brembo brakes ran even with 414-hp BMW M3, which is 200 lbs lighter, at GingerMan Raceway in South Haven, Michigan
2011 Shelby GT500 to get Aluminum Block
Next special edition: 2012 Boss
Link=bradbarnett.net

Hmm....this has happened before. 330 replaced by 335i. S5 V8 replaced by
S5 SC V6.
Now Mustang. No wonder the sales are lower then Camaro's. I think most of the potential buyers of Mustang are holding out as this rumor has been circulating around for a long long time.

The current Mustang has been getting great reviews with many car mags and this engine upgrade would surely help it dominate the 'Muscle' segment further. (Camaro, Challenger)

About the NA 3.7 V6, the info speculates that the upcoming 3.7 V6 would make as much hp as the current 4.6 V8. That's a big jump. I always thought that Ford would replace the current 4.0 V6 with a 3.5 V6 from the Ford Fusion. Anyway, the more the merrier.

Also, I hope the ecoboost V6 does make it into the hood. It can be used in a special edition or something. Like for eg: Shelby GT350.
The ecoboost V6 turbo engine can have loads of potential(I'm just guessing) for the tuning world.
And it could also attract a different set of crowd(turbo fanatics). I'm keeping my fingers crossed
      09-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Even if they put in new engines, i doubt that people will be swayed from their Camaros. It has a chassis that is light years ahead of the one in the Mustang, Ford should axe the LRA instead of complaining that it would cost $5000 per car to do so.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

P.S....I also hope they replace the live rear axle with a independent rear suspension.
Did anyone know that it would have cost Ford only 100$ extra to get a new independent rear supension on the previous S197 Mustang....!
Here's the link for for the article

If you don't know what I'm talking about Clickon this link

Last edited by OBI_agent; 09-06-2009 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: Wrong link provided:(
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Haha...I was thinking the same thing. I was finding links to back my thoughts.
Refer to my above post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
Even if they put in new engines, i doubt that people will be swayed from their Camaros. It has a chassis that is light years ahead of the one in the Mustang, Ford should axe the LRA instead of complaining that it would cost $5000 per car to do so.
+1 on almost everything.

Even though it has a LRA, recent reviews show that the Mustang can almost hang on with Camaro.
The Camaro's chassis are good but Mustang's are not bad either. They need a IRS(independent rear suspension) and it will be perfect
      09-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
Boost Gomez
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I know it wouldn't be very muscle car, but an EcoBoost V6 Mustang tuned to ~450 hp would be interesting. Or maybe if they stuck the 6.2 L Boss V8 in there..
      09-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

New body Mustang >>> Camaro

Camaro has one advantage: IRS. Whatever.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
New body Mustang >>> Camaro

Camaro has one advantage: IRS. Whatever.
Haha....IRS=Independent rear suspension ....Drag racers will hate me but I want a Mustang with a IRS rather then a live axle....And not fromsome tuner but from Ford itself.

I think Roush or Saleen makes or fits a IRS for Mustang's.
      09-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #8
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Interestingly enough, in Motor Trend's "Best Driver's Car" shootout, the live-axle Ford GT500 placed ahead of other cars including the BMW 135i, Jaguar XF-R, and Nissan Z. I tend to think that the talk of the live rear-axle is exaggerated. When you're mass-producing cars, you need to make compromises to keep things on budget. Ford elected to stay with the cheaper live-axle setup, probably because in even in hard driving, the difference is minimal (provided that the car is setup correctly).

I don't fault Ford for doing this. Obviously, the engineers put in overtime to make sure that the handling is top notch, given the bad publicity surrounding the previous-gen GT500. It looks like they've succeeded:

"... Easy to drive hard, no manhandling needed," says Loh, who also notes, "Steering is accurate and precise ..."

" ... Yee-haw! Boy, I had a great time at the wheel. That car was really enjoyable. And it's much improved over the Shelby Mustang we drove last year." How so? "It's more balanced," he says without pause. "This Mustang is balanced, despite its size; as a driver, I really enjoy that. I could create a little understeer, I could create a little oversteer; it was predictable in that way. It has big power-enough to leave black stripes out of some of the corners. You look over there at Turn Four and the black stripes are almost laid right over each other from my two laps -- that's good handling because I could place the car right where I wanted it, even though I was in a power-oversteer drift. These are wonderful things ..." (Motor Trend)
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

Lol, Ford is the new BMW, as BMW makes its cars softer and heavier?

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 05:08 PM   #10
Guibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI_agent View Post
P.S....I also hope they replace the live rear axle with a independent rear suspension.
Did anyone know that it would have cost Ford only 100$ extra to get a new independent rear supension on the previous S197 Mustang....!
Here's the link for for the article

If you don't know what I'm talking about Clickon this link
It actually ended up costing them $98 more than if they had gone with the IRS.
Appreciate 0