BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Car lifts

09-02-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
Smac355
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Car lifts

Does anyone have recommendations on car lifts that can be utilized to do wheel/tire suspension work?? Thanks guys
Black Sapphire Metallic 135i/Coral Leather Interior/ Gloss Black Grills/20% tint/M door sills/Black 135i badge, smoked LED side marker, Dinan stage II , DINAN Exhaust, performance side skirts, performance shift boot/e-brake, pedals, carbon fiber wrapped interior
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

I'll give you some.

I have a Rotary Lift model SPOA10. It's their standard 10,000 pound lift with asymmetrical columns. I paid $3,500 installed in my garage in 2004.

When considering a lift, buy one made in the USA from a reputable manufacturer Bend-Pac, Rotary, etc. because you'll be able to get replacement parts for it and service. Look in your area for a commercial automotive tools supplier because he'll most likely carry lifts, install them, and service them. You can find cheap Asian lifts on the net, but most likely they are not certified by the American Lift Institute and probably will not be supported by a local business. You want a certified lift; both Bend Pack and Rotary are. You are taking your life in your own hands standing under a car 6 feet off the ground, so making sure it's safe it the number 1 priority. Get an asymmetrical lift because it lets you open the doors wider.

Most lifts require a 12 foot ceiling (Rotary has one that works in a 9 foot ceiling) and a minimum of 4 inches of concrete floor. When they install it, they will mark off the floor set the columns and then drill the floor and install the anchor bolts. You’ll need a 220V -30A circuit.

Lastly, make sure the lift will fit your E9X. The E9X chassis is wide and low and some lifts may not reach the lifting pads. My Rotary didn’t fit my E90 (I bought it before the E90 came out), but I retrofitted it with updated lifting arms from a later model, so now it does. You need to pay attention with the minimum lifting pad height to make sure it fits under the car. Also make sure it comes with a locating plate which is used to properly align your car with the lift (via the front left wheel) and get it centered.

Get the one I have and your good to go. Northern Tools sells them out of their catalog and sells the shipping and installation as an additional price. If you find a local distributer you’ll probably get a better price (Northern Tools just probably goes to the local place anyway).

Get one, it will be the best tool you ever buy. If you do your own work you’ll pay it back in no time.
Appreciate 0