E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 09 iDrive and voice commands

09-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
09 iDrive and voice commands

Hi All

I wanted to ask how people are getting on with the voice commands on the 09 idrive...

I personally find that for the majority of commands its pretty accurate. And it seems that the more obscure the command the more accurate it is. For example, saying destination names and street names, its surprisingly good. Saying 'voice guidance on' or '75 yards' (for the map scale) its nearly 100%.

However, the two commands it is absolutely hopeless at recognising are probably the two most important......
For some reason my system just about refuses to recognise the word 'Phone book', it gets it about 5% of the time at a guess. Also the word 'Map' it seems to really struggle with.

And its not just me, I've had other people (with different accents!) try it, and they get the same results.

So in order to make a phone call by voice, I have to do the following.
-Say 'My Contacts' (which it recognises better than phonebook)
-Say the name, Surname then first name
-Then say 'call'
-Then the number of the entry (if there is more than 1, which there usually is).
-Then say 'Yes' to make it actually dial.

Now all this is a ridiculous palava, when all I want to do is say 'Call John Smith'

I'm sure in the older versions you could just say 'Call......' but in the manual there is no reference to such a command and I certainly can't get it to recognise that.......

How else are people using it to make calls?

Many thanks
Chris
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 02:23 AM   #2
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
yes i agree on the long command list, its nuts. I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can turn on short commands and finding the menu option I think will check it out later.

I find this system far better at recognising my voice than the first Idrive.

Neil.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 03:27 AM   #3
bbimmer79
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 318d

the "short" option exists in Settings -> Language , but i don't see any difference when i turn it to short/long , "call smith john" still doesn't work.
      09-07-2009, 03:44 AM   #4
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbimmer79 View Post
the "short" option exists in Settings -> Language , but i don't see any difference when i turn it to short/long , "call smith john" still doesn't work.
Thanks for the replies, glad its not just me getting driving to distraction by it!

The short/default option in the menu refers to the way the computer speaks to you, not the commands you can give it. This is copied from the CIC service manual. Oddly, the regular owner's manual offers no explanation of what the options actually mean........

>>
it is possible to choose between “Default” and “Short”
voice dialog commands.

Default dialog:
SYSTEM: "Please name the town"
USER: "Munich" - shown on display
SYSTEM: "Name the number of the correct entry and say new entry"
USER: "Entry one"

Short dialog:
SYSTEM: "Town"
USER: "Munich" - shown on display
SYSTEM: "Which entry"?