E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Advice on 6FL & IPOD Hard Drive Noise

09-11-2009, 05:45 AM   #1
icecoldcube
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D Msport (Sep2009)

Advice on 6FL & IPOD Hard Drive Noise

Hi,

Just got my 320D M Sport Business Edition and was hoping some of you may be able to assist with some small issues and give me some advice thanks.

I ordered the car with I Drive Pro, Logic 7 and 6FL, after using the IPOD for a little over 2 days I'm noticing the IPOD hard drive noise through the speakers. This happens when I change tracks from one artist to another. I've been searching the forums here and others and some suggestions include:

EQ settings off on IPOD
Check IPOD dock connector
Use of USB stick instead (tried this with 64GB stick but takes too long to index... over 40 mins each time I start the car!)

Anybody had similar experiences? The IPOD is a 2 year old Classic 160GB, I have the EQ set on Logic 7 and all other settings default.

Many thanks for any advice.

Would prefer to use the IPOD given the faster start times and searching (USB sounds better I know but with over 60GB music is not pratical for me).

Dave
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G15 840i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecoldcube View Post
Hi,

Just got my 320D M Sport Business Edition and was hoping some of you may be able to assist with some small issues and give me some advice thanks.

I ordered the car with I Drive Pro, Logic 7 and 6FL, after using the IPOD for a little over 2 days I'm noticing the IPOD hard drive noise through the speakers. This happens when I change tracks from one artist to another. I've been searching the forums here and others and some suggestions include:

EQ settings off on IPOD
Use of USB stick instead (tried this with 64GB stick but takes too long to index... over 40 mins each time I start the car!)

Anybody had similar experiences? The IPOD is a 2 year old Classic 160GB, I have the EQ set on Logic 7 and all other settings default.

Would prefer to use the IPOD given the faster start times and searching (USB sounds better I know but with over 60GB music is not pratical for me).

Dave
Just one question are you using the BMW Y cable or the Apple cable ?. No noise from my 120gig classic using Y cable.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 06:46 AM   #3
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecoldcube View Post
Hi,

EQ settings off on IPOD

Dave
Same for me and a number of other people I know. It's not really the hard drive, in fact, but some noise that the iPod makes itself while searching on the HD for titles. However, it's slightly annoying but so far I haven't found anyone who's found a way to avoid it.

BTW, I'm using the BMW iPod connector cable, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      09-11-2009, 07:17 AM   #4
icecoldcube
Rep

Hi,

I'm using the BMW Y Cable, its not the worst thing in the world but just a little annoying. My attempts to use a USB stick have been a little problematic so IPOD remains the best choice for storage and search.

Another option (allow costly) would be to replace the IPOD with a new IPOD Touch 64GB since this uses flash storage, but I would hardly use the other features.

I used the IPOD in my old E90 using a Logic3 lineout cable (just 3.5mm connection) and never had noise problems. Could the interference be related to the BMW Y Cable.

An interesting one, but possibly no way to fix at present.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

ice,

Its not the hard drive but just cross talk between the ipod circuits internally. Most PCs do this if you listen carefully at the speakers with no sound playing you can hear the computer 'thinking' as the display changes or it accesses memory etc.

People forget the ipod is pretty poor sound quality and is only really designed for mobile use with headphones.

I use a 64GB kingston USB stick and it indexes in about 5 minutes from start up (59GB used), but I just play from the album folders immediately as personally i find indexing a bit useless on any device.

The sound is MUCH better from a USB stick as the car decodes the MP3 instead of the ipod or other device.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
icecoldcube
Rep

All,

Thanks for the replies I will have another go with the use of USB stick and see how I get on.

May borrow an IPOD touch also and give it a try.

Thanks,

Dave
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
I am using a 120GB Ipod classic (upgraded from a non HD based nano) and I have never experience any noise at all with my Logic 7 setup.

I certainly can't hear any interference or crosstalk at all with my ipod - could be a faulty ipod?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #8
icecoldcube
Rep

Hi,

Interesting I will get hold of some other IPODs and give them a test, maybe the problem relates to 160GB models ...

Will report back.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #9
rob77
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d SE

Sorry to bring up such an old thread but I have just purchased an ipod classic 60gb and am experiencing the noise you mention when skipping tracks.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this or is it a case of all ipod's with hard drives do this and it's just something I have to live with?

Cheers
Appreciate 0