BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Fuel info - possible DOT increase in % of ethenol content

09-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
JayD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Fuel info - possible DOT increase in % of ethenol content

I called BP yesterday to get some info as to why they are not listed on the "top tier fuel" web site. (see my post from a few days ago). A chemist with them called me back and said their fuel exceeds the top tier requirement for detergant additives across all octane ratings. A few years ago it was just the premium fuel that had the most comprehensive additive package, now its all grades. They chose as a company decision not to participate in the top tier program. He said they would back me up with a technical letter sent to my dealer if BMW ever denies warranty work citing that I was not using top tier fuel. He was quite helpful. Now for the ALARMING part. He did say the DOT will rule on Dec 1 weather or not to allow the ethenol content maxium to go from 10% to 15-20%. I stated to him that some engines won't operate correctly with an ethenol content % that high. He agreed with me but said it is strickly political. I certanly hope for my N54's sake and my big block 454 motor in my boat, that the government does not pass the increase!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Blame former presidential nominee General Wesley Clark. He's the head of the ethanol producers' lobbying arm. It's EPA, not DOT that they are lobbying. EPA is responsible for overseeing gas blends. Also, it's an increase to 15%, not 20%.

In any case, I share you annoyance and frustration, but ultimately this topic isn't E9x and belongs in the General Automotive forum.

BTW - the knock on Gen Clark is tongue in cheek. He's just one of several knuckleheads to blame.
      09-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

There's talk that raising the ethanol content would actually cause gas to fail CARB's own standards. There's a big seesaw debate going on between the EPA and CARB as far as what pollutants are acceptable in what amounts, and how they are caused. CARB has gone to great lengths to prove that "cradle to grave" pollution when using ethanol blends is greater than vanilla gasoline. The more ethanol we add, the worse that number gets. However, there have been credible refutations and refutes to those refutations, to the point where it's hard to tell what the truth is, but I don't believe that this will be passed.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Ethanol is garbage, and if it weren't for the fact that our government was run by greedy DBs getting paid off by companies that make it to push it, it wouldn't even in our fuel.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 07:11 AM   #5
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
Ethanol is garbage, and if it weren't for the fact that our government was run by greedy DBs getting paid off by companies that make it to push it, it wouldn't even in our fuel.
Ethanol is a fantastic race fuel, if your engine can deal with it. It just kills the gas mileage though. My car gets about 2-3mpg better fuel economy on the highway with pure gasoline vs a 10% ethanol blend.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
RENN Spec
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 488 Pista, M2CS, Tundra

e85 ftw!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
TexAg06
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90

i'm torn on this. i hate the reduced mileage.

but, my company is getting into the ethanol business. so, it could help my paycheck.
Appreciate 0