E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Car Sounds Like it Has a BOV??

09-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
Hollywood Hogan
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sold: '13 RS5

Car Sounds Like it Has a BOV??

For the last couple of days when I give my car a bit of gas and rev to say 4k rpm or so and let go of the gas it sounds like a I have BOV...

I never noticed this sound before and im pretty sure I would have which is why I'm starting to think something came loose. A while back I had an AA BOV for one day before (didnt like it) and didn't notice anything strange noises after removing it. Again everything looks like it is in place and nothing is loose as far as I can see.

I currently have JB+ and Vishnu DCI and its a steptronic.

Any thoughts? Is this the sound that the DCI's give and I may have just never noticed it? It literally sounds like a BOV and its quite audible.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Hogan View Post
For the last couple of days when I give my car a bit of gas and rev to say 4k rpm or so and let go of the gas it sounds like a I have BOV...

I never noticed this sound before and im pretty sure I would have which is why I'm starting to think something came loose. A while back I had an AA BOV for one day before (didnt like it) and didn't notice anything strange noises after removing it. Again everything looks like it is in place and nothing is loose as far as I can see.

I currently have JB+ and Vishnu DCI and its a steptronic.

Any thoughts? Is this the sound that the DCI's give and I may have just never noticed it? It literally sounds like a BOV and its quite audible.
Take it to the dealer. I had these symptoms and the boost gauge told me I was underboosting about 2-3 psi. Eventually it will trigger a 30FF code. Dealer replaced the solenoid and vacuum hoses under warranty. The sound went away and the power came back. This sound won't occur when you throw the stock airbox back on, but it will trigger a CEL which is what the dealer needs in order to attempt to diagnose the situation.
      09-27-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

I just had the same issue. I had a shop put my diverter valves back on. It sounded like it still had a quieter BOV. I checked under the hood, and the hose popped off. I'm missing a clamp or something
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
Hollywood Hogan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
Take it to the dealer. I had these symptoms and the boost gauge told me I was underboosting about 2-3 psi. Eventually it will trigger a 30FF code. Dealer replaced the solenoid and vacuum hoses under warranty. The sound went away and the power came back. This sound won't occur when you throw the stock airbox back on, but it will trigger a CEL which is what the dealer needs in order to attempt to diagnose the situation.
Wait why would installing the stock airbox on in this situation cause a CEL vs. no CEL with the DCI?

Also, the car feels just fine power wise...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i Xdrive

Quote:
Wait why would installing the stock airbox on in this situation cause a CEL vs. no CEL with the DCI?

Also, the car feels just fine power wise...
just cheack under the hood and see if the dvs popped off.

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 09:20 PM   #6
Hollywood Hogan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon335iFL View Post
just cheack under the hood and see if the dvs popped off.
Checked earlier today and everything is on snug...maybe I'll try to disconnect and then reconnect
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Maybe your charge pipe popped off completely? It could have been loose when you put it back on after the AA pipe and just slowly fallen off with the pressure?

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #8
Hollywood Hogan
Captain
Rep

charge pipe is on for sure...someone on another forum suggested that the sound is normal with an intake...?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
you should expect a certain amount of pshhhh sound when you shift gears and your car releases the pressure....

it wont be as loud as a BOV, but theres sound. Tough to diagnose really without hearing it
      09-27-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

It was one of those things that everyone told me was normal as well. After 3-4 months of just "dealing with it" it eventually triggered the 30FF code on my end. After two weeks at the dealer, they diagnosed a boost leak in the rear wastegate and replaced the solenoid and vacuum hoses after a smoke test. Take my experience for what it's worth, but I had what you experienced, a BOV type sound on a partial throttle acceleration with DCI.

FYI, you won't be able to discern a 2 lb psi loss in power, it might even be less in your situation, but who knows.
      09-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #11
Hollywood Hogan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
It was one of those things that everyone told me was normal as well. After 3-4 months of just "dealing with it" it eventually triggered the 30FF code on my end. After two weeks at the dealer, they diagnosed a boost leak in the rear wastegate and replaced the solenoid and vacuum hoses after a smoke test. Take my experience for what it's worth, but I had what you experienced, a BOV type sound on a partial throttle acceleration with DCI.

FYI, you won't be able to discern a 2 lb psi loss in power, it might even be less in your situation, but who knows.
Hey I definitely appreciate your responses. So basically I'll have to wait until the 30FF code is thrown?

I scanned my car today and no codes and I've "noticed" this sound for about a week now.

And just to clarify it sounds like a BOV but its quite a bit softer than an actual BOV.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 10:02 PM   #12
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Yeah man, its a small leak that is probably going to get worse. Try running stock for a few days and see if you can trigger the CEL. When tuned I couldn't get it to throw any codes either, probably because of the nature of the tunes.

Or.......... you could just be overly paranoid But I'm sure you know your car better than any of us!
      09-27-2009, 10:13 PM   #13
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I would go as far as saying, if you do NOT hear your car releasing air like that...you should be more worried than hearing it whoosh a bit between gears when your boost level goes from 8psi--0psi...

have to let that pressure go somewhere
      09-27-2009, 10:26 PM   #14
Hollywood Hogan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo4u2 View Post
I would go as far as saying, if you do NOT hear your car releasing air like that...you should be more worried than hearing it whoosh a bit between gears when your boost level goes from 8psi--0psi...

have to let that pressure go somewhere

I actually drive an automatic and this sound happens when I gas to abotu 4-5k rpm and let go of the throttle...it doesn't happen when the car shifts
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 10:51 PM   #15
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Hmm i can hear this sound to but only when the windows are down. I thought my car has felt slower also some times but then others she feals fast again. Haven't thrown any codes as of yet. Any idea how much new solenoids are? The myst I noticed in another thread that you had the siren sound as well, did the replacement of the solenoid do away with that sound as well. I have had this sound for a little bit of time as well and am wondering if that is what is wrong with it. I never watch the boost gauage while I get on it because I am paying attention to the road but when I recall boost I have had spikes all the way up to 17lbs, so did you have boost spikes during shifts as well. I have an automatic as well and am just wondering even though you were around 12 lbs did you ever have any high shift spikes like that? If anyone could give me the part number to these slenoids that would be awesome. I searched real oem and this is what I could come up with I am not sure if this is the right part 04 PRESSURE CONVERTER 2 03/2009 11747548706 $160.95
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 11:20 PM   #16
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I actually drive an automatic and this sound happens when I gas to abotu 4-5k rpm and let go of the throttle...it doesn't happen when the car shifts
manual cars go from 8psi--0psi between shifts because you let off the throttle. Same effect as you going to 4-5k rpm and letting off the throttle...you drop boost.

the whoosh, is normal, the pressure is released.

if you have no codes, and are still not convinced that your engine is running as it should (being that its a turbo, and has two diverter valves), you can run a boost leak test. If you search on here sniz posted a diy for a boost leak test that you can do.

To be honest, if your car runs fine, you have no reason to be concerned. If you have hesitation when you are laying on the gas, or if you have a boost gauge and you arent reaching normal boost levels (depending on whether your car is stock or not, stock~8psi max @ sea level, up to 11 in high elevations), then check. Otherwise...why worry?
      09-28-2009, 12:08 AM   #17
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo4u2 View Post
manual cars go from 8psi--0psi between shifts because you let off the throttle. Same effect as you going to 4-5k rpm and letting off the throttle...you drop boost.

the whoosh, is normal, the pressure is released.

if you have no codes, and are still not convinced that your engine is running as it should (being that its a turbo, and has two diverter valves), you can run a boost leak test. If you search on here sniz posted a diy for a boost leak test that you can do.

To be honest, if your car runs fine, you have no reason to be concerned. If you have hesitation when you are laying on the gas, or if you have a boost gauge and you arent reaching normal boost levels (depending on whether your car is stock or not, stock~8psi max @ sea level, up to 11 in high elevations), then check. Otherwise...why worry?
I assume he doesn't have a boost gauge which can be why he feels the car is running normal. When I had this noise, i was operating 2-3 psi under where I should be.
      09-28-2009, 09:03 AM   #18
fast4door
Captain
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

My car h as the same sound but its normal..i noticed it after i installed my intake and jb+..it kinda sounds like a bov but quiter and softer, its the diverter valve. my car has had that noise since i installed the intake and jb and i havent had any problems and the car is running nice..installing my jb3 later today cant wait!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #19
ShortCkT101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I just noticed it now happening to me and the car does feel slower. Feels like a boost leak. I did a pull in 4th gear and you can see the rpm are not really going up smoothly.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 04:01 PM   #20
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335XI Coupe Loaded w/body kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
Hmm i can hear this sound to but only when the windows are down. I thought my car has felt slower also some times but then others she feals fast again. Haven't thrown any codes as of yet. Any idea how much new solenoids are? The myst I noticed in another thread that you had the siren sound as well, did the replacement of the solenoid do away with that sound as well. I have had this sound for a little bit of time as well and am wondering if that is what is wrong with it. I never watch the boost gauage while I get on it because I am paying attention to the road but when I recall boost I have had spikes all the way up to 17lbs, so did you have boost spikes during shifts as well. I have an automatic as well and am just wondering even though you were around 12 lbs did you ever have any high shift spikes like that? If anyone could give me the part number to these slenoids that would be awesome. I searched real oem and this is what I could come up with I am not sure if this is the right part 04 PRESSURE CONVERTER 2 03/2009 11747548706 $160.95
Hey I have this exact problem with the power being hit or miss I have had two HPFP replaced and now 1 LPFP replaced and I still get long cranks and the car seems slow even with the JB3 on!!!!! some days its like a effin rocket ship most days like a 328 im baffled!!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 04:35 PM   #21
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

I have never had long cranks and my car has never felt slow it has just felt slower then it used to be.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #22
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

take it to the dealer.. something is wrong if all your power is not there

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0