E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Does BMW replace HPFP with better/newer ones

10-04-2009, 04:01 AM   #1
yslee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e93 335i, f80 m3

Does BMW replace HPFP with better/newer ones

I just recently had my HPFP replaced. I was wondering (from all the ppl who had theirs replaced multiple times) if the dealership replaced it with the exact same one it had before or a new and improved one. Basically, did BMW come out with newer HPFP since they knew it had problems?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 04:03 AM   #2
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yslee View Post
I just recently had my HPFP replaced. I was wondering (from all the ppl who had theirs replaced multiple times) if the dealership replaced it with the exact same one it had before or a new and improved one. Basically, did BMW come out with newer HPFP since they knew it had problems?
There have been a few revisions. All of them fail. There is no cure.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
boom
My X5d tows my spec miata to the track.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d

I've heard that the pumps fail because the pressure sensors fail. It was something like the high pressure sensor reads too low and car blows out it's pump seals because it never relieves the pressure. Therefore pump replacements should come with sensor replacements or your new pump will fail for the same reason the old one did. Does anyone know if this is true?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
I've heard that the pumps fail because the pressure sensors fail. It was something like the high pressure sensor reads too low and car blows out it's pump seals because it never relieves the pressure. Therefore pump replacements should come with sensor replacements or your new pump will fail for the same reason the old one did. Does anyone know if this is true?
HPFP failures are not common in Europe. IMO it's more a gas related issue. Also, most pumps don't fail immediately, the story begins with long engine cranking when you start the car. However, this does not say that the reason isn't the pressure sensor having problems with some kind of gas.

In addition there have been piggies around that raised fuel pressure to keep being undetectable after "doomsday" for the MSD81 ECU. I don't know whether this is still the case but would certainly not increase reliability of an already prone component.

40.000 miles on the 1st HPFP up to now.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
HPFP failures are not common in Europe. IMO it's more a gas related issue. Also, most pumps don't fail immediately, the story begins with long engine cranking when you start the car. However, this does not say that the reason isn't the pressure sensor having problems with some kind of gas.

In addition there have been piggies around that raised fuel pressure to keep being undetectable after "doomsday" for the MSD81 ECU. I don't know whether this is still the case but would certainly not increase reliability of an already prone component.

40.000 miles on the 1st HPFP up to now.
I made it to a little over 40k on my original. The second pump failed after 2k miles. The 3rd has been ok for about 5k now. I have never used fuel pressure modification as I'm pre 29.2
      10-04-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
kirby135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

bmw keeps putting the same pumps in...CP-E just came out when a new hpfp that is supposed to be better than OEM.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
I made it to a little over 40k on my original. The second pump failed after 2k miles. The 3rd has been ok for about 5k now. I have never used fuel pressure modification as I'm pre 29.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
So IMO it would be worth a try for a high pressure sensor replacement according to this new "rumor".
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #8
Ferre86
Captain
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/H2/SL350/Panamera 4/

changed mine recentlly , my dealer said that problem will not accure once again.. they said its new type of HPFP though..

| e93 M-DCT ESS VT2-625 | Akra Slip-on | Challenge Race Catless x-pipe | Challenge front lip | Challenge Diffuser | Carbon front grilles | defi gauges control unit | Macht Schnell gauge panel | E93 M3 trunk Spoiler | IND Carbon Fiber Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
kirby135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferre86 View Post
changed mine recentlly , my dealer said that problem will not accure once again.. they said its new type of HPFP though..
thats prob BS...just had mine replaced and its the same hpfp...they just keep stocking the same failing components.
Appreciate 0