E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Harman Motive/Vishnu Exhaust

10-07-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
BMFUNATIC
Vishnu Fan
Rep
Drives: 07 335I Sedan

Harman Motive/Vishnu Exhaust

Just installed my Harman Motive Catback Exhaust for my 07 335i Sedan AT. I just would like to say..OH MY GOD is it LOUD.

Have you all experienced this?

I know after market exhausts aren't supposed to be exactly quiet either but wanted to get a guage from the community and owners and thier thoughts on this. It also drones between 2 and 3K RPM. Does it get quieter in anyway after some settling? Also, it took my installer an added 30mins to get the tips centered and lowered as it was vibrating against my oem bumper?

What exhaust would you recommend that has somewhat of a growl but isnt so loud that you can hear your music?

I apologize in advance if this topic is review for some of you.

Thanks in advance.

BMFUNATIC
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
jaysonbmw
F1
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formula 1 E92

Do you have stock DP?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMFUNATIC View Post
Just installed my Harman Motive Catback Exhaust for my 07 335i Sedan AT. I just would like to say..OH MY GOD is it LOUD.

Have you all experienced this?

I know after market exhausts aren't supposed to be exactly quiet either but wanted to get a guage from the community and owners and thier thoughts on this. It also drones between 2 and 3K RPM. Does it get quieter in anyway after some settling? Also, it took my installer an added 30mins to get the tips centered and lowered as it was vibrating against my oem bumper?

What exhaust would you recommend that has somewhat of a growl but isnt so loud that you can hear your music?

I apologize in advance if this topic is review for some of you.

Thanks in advance.

BMFUNATIC
I have the same exhaust.. i don't think it's that bad.....

There is a little drone if you lug it down around 2k... which given the torque available, can happen...

you could decrease the noise slightly by throwing some dynamat under the carpet in the back if it really bothered you...

personally i like it and it doesn't seem any louder than aftermarket exhaust i've had on other cars in the past (wrx, rx7, nsx)

I think shiv changed his mufflers if i remember right.... dunno if he kept the same exhaust before the mufflers... i spotted him driving the other way the other day, sounded pretty good at a light cruise...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

Mine are custom made from an exhaust shop and sound better than any others I've heard with zero drone
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
BMFUNATIC
Vishnu Fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonbmw View Post
Do you have stock DP?
Yep I have stock DPs
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
BMFUNATIC
Vishnu Fan
Rep

I think I am going to try the dynamat solution, Thank you all!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 08:52 AM   #7
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Are you referring to the exhaust note or the drone? It's kinda tough to get a really loud exhaust note out of these cars to be honest. On the other hand I had the UR catback and the drone around 1800 - 2500 RPM was stupid, and that's where the AT sits at most cuise speeds.

In fact I read one guy here who said it was enough to make his wife nauseous while driving.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 08:53 AM   #8
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: THE GUY YOU LOVE TO HATE

get rennart resonated exhaust, nice tone and quiet
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMFUNATIC View Post
I think I am going to try the dynamat solution, Thank you all!
just be warned... that will help with noise level, but not drone...

also... not sure if you've played with dynamat before... but what most people use is pretty permanent.. in that it's basically tar with an aluminum backing that you press onto the metal panels on the car... so you have to pull up the carpet, and liners..etc...

they also make a not so permanent sorta foam thing.... comes in a roll... it's not self sticking... not sure how much it would help...

with the tar stuff... if one layer isn't good enough, you can try two or 3 over the parts that are really close to the mufflers/exhaust tips..etc...

oh yea... one of the best places i found to buy dynamat a couple years ago was amazon... with prime... free shipping.. bulk packages... way cheaper than anywhere else.... turned out to be smarter to buy a bulk package, making sure i had enough, rather than a trunk kit or door kit or whatever....

what i'm curious about .. with drone... is where does that come from ? is that from the length of the pipe ? or come from mostly the back ?... it's physically where does it emanate from... (so where would the best placement for sound deadening materials be)
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #10
badass1g
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

add a couple resonaters? or get used to it, or you could sell it
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #11
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Make sure the pipes are aligned and tightened up correctly. My HM system droned and ounce it got aligned 95% of the drone went away.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
Gumby_F80
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

CP-E FTMFW!!
Appreciate 0