E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > How do I know if the shock is blown?

10-07-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
tolkino
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 BSM E92 328i xDrive

How do I know if the shock is blown?

I have been suspecting uneven lowering on the rear of my car(left rear was sitting lower than right side), so I went to get it checked. They reinstalled both sides at the rear (shocks and springs) but they weren't able to find the problem. One thing I notice now is that only on my left rear when I go over bumps or potholes there is a weird crashing sound coming( dont know how to explain the sound, its loud and I can hear it from the cabin) first I thought it was because the alignment is messed up due to reinstallation but now I'm thinking what would alignment have to do with that? Can the shock on that side be blown? I got the shocks very recently btw. My setup is Bilstein b8 shocks + Eibach pro kit.

Can anybody knowledgeable chime in?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
Derek Zoolander
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M-Sport

If a shock is blow, you'll know it. It'll be super bouncy. Check the shock for fluid leaking or sprayed all over.
You'll have to remove it to confirm.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
r_seng
End Game
United_States
Rep
Drives: Devil's Chariot

Derek pretty much hit the nail on the head, you'll notice your ride to be "bouncy". Upon visual inspection you should be able to see leaking fluid on the suspected blow shock(s). It is best for the entire car to be lifted to get a detailed view.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 11:56 PM   #4
tolkino
Captain
Rep

Problem solved, it just had to be tightened from the bottom so nothing big.. thanks for the answers!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 12:17 AM   #5
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Just remember that when you touch anything suspension wise it will throw your alignment off, if you just had one very recently done take it back to the dealer and have them recheck it, they should do it free
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 12:36 AM   #6
tolkino
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
Just remember that when you touch anything suspension wise it will throw your alignment off, if you just had one very recently done take it back to the dealer and have them recheck it, they should do it free
I wish they would do that, but I'm not too hopeful. I'll definitely get the alignment checked anyhow
Appreciate 0