ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > Canada
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-12-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

For those with xenons

Is it possible to have daytime running lights operate such that your xenons are not always on?

My car was originally a US car and so I am wondering whether one of the modifications necessary for importation is to have the xenon lights operate as daytime running lights, or is there another setting where only the daytime running lights will come on?

I'd rather not waste the xenon life as I planning on keeping this car a long long time

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
acvr4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3.0Z4,VR4,Vehicross.Touareg

Depending on the year I though that the dealer could activate the inter - flash to pass halogens to become daytime running lights. That could be cool with some LED repalcements.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLYZ4COUPE IN GTA View Post
Is it possible to have daytime running lights.......my car was originally a US car.
US cars equipped with bixenons have an "angel eye" ring on the inner dummy light. Normally, the inner angel ring illuminates when the xenons are on and are off when the xenons are off or when the parking lights are turned on. The angel rings can be reprogrammed to be always on when the car is running, however, they are not very noticeable or bright.

Last edited by Incompatible; 10-13-2009 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: Correction of thinking vs writing mishap.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4Mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
US cars equipped with bixenons have an "angel eye" ring on the inner dummy light. Normally, the inner angel ring illuminates when the xenons are on and are off when the xenons are off. The angel rings can be reprogrammed to be always on when the car is running, however, they are not very noticeable or bright.
Aren't the angel eyes on when the headlight switch is in "parking light" mode? Therefore the angel eyes can be on when the xenons are off ... Not trying to be an ass, just saying.

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_lm View Post
Aren't the angel eyes on when the headlight switch is in "parking light" mode? Therefore the angel eyes can be on when the xenons are off ... Not trying to be an ass, just saying.
Correct, no problem. Another thinking vs writing mishap.....corrected.

Last edited by Incompatible; 10-13-2009 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #6
Steve P.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Coupe, 2008 M3 Sedan

Mine is also an original US car, and mine has been programmed so the angel eyes act as the DRL's, as stated above by someone else. They are not very bright but it really don't matter, looks cool actually.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #7
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

thanks for the replies

it looks like I would need to have my lights reprogrammed as it does not appear that the xenons are off at any light setting, that's probably at least $150

any ideas on the life of the xenons? Is it really something I should worry about?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLYZ4COUPE IN GTA View Post
it looks like I would need to have my lights reprogrammed as it does not appear that the xenons are off at any light setting, that's probably at least $150

any ideas on the life of the xenons? Is it really something I should worry about?
Are you saying that the outer two headlamps are on all the time when driving, day and night? I would think that having them on all the time would shorten their lifespan, more so from the constant on/off then the additional burn time. If I found the correct one, the individual xenon bulbs run around 170.00 to 215.00 US. http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
      12-04-2009, 01:59 PM   #9
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
Mine is also an original US car, and mine has been programmed so the angel eyes act as the DRL's, as stated above by someone else. They are not very bright but it really don't matter, looks cool actually.
Ditto that for me as well.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0