2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum BMW 5 Series GT Makes North American Debut at S. Florida International Auto Show

10-25-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW 5 Series GT Makes North American Debut at S. Florida International Auto Show

BMW 5 SERIES GRAN TURISMO MAKES NORTH AMERICAN DEBUT AT SOUTH FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW

• Press Release

Woodcliff Lake, NJ - October 23, 2009… The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo will make its North American debut at the South Florida International Auto Show October 23-November 1. For the first time, attributes of an elegant sedan, a contemporary Sports Activity Vehicle and a classic Gran Turismo are masterfully melded into a single, harmonious vehicle shape. The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo adds new facets to BMW’s Ultimate Driving Machine tradition and refines the concept of first-class travel.

The traditional European term Gran Turismo (Grand Touring) was first applied by Italian carmakers in the 1950s when they combined the performance, handling, and style of a 2-seat sport car with luxurious amenities and luggage room for each occupant. BMW’s new Gran Turismo nurtures this tradition in its own contemporary way, providing exceptional space, style, luxury, and comfort for four passengers, plus the performance and driving pleasure of a BMW.

It does so with 21st-century technology. BMW’s wide-ranging EfficientDynamics engineering philosophy endows this new automobile with an outstanding balance between performance and efficiency. Thanks to its innovative twin turbo V-8 engine and 8-speed automatic transmission, the 550i Gran Turismo can accelerate from rest to 60 mph in just 5.4 seconds, yet delivers excellent efficiency in everyday driving.

Design: Abundant sportiness, elegance, luxury and versatility.
• Typical BMW proportions communicate dynamic character and sportiness.
• Long wheelbase and graceful, coupe-like roofline.
• An interior with contemporary design, generous dimensions and premium materials.

The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo radiates a unique blend of sportiness and stylish presence. Typical BMW proportions, four doors with frameless windows, and a coupe-like roofline combine into a harmonious, highly distinctive silhouette that visually represents this vehicle’s innovative capabilities.

The Gran Turismo’s visual presence is a fusion of established BMW identity and new elements. Its elongated hood and long 120.7-inch wheelbase coalesce with a “greenhouse” set well aft and a fastback roofline into a profile that’s immediately recognizable as a BMW, yet at the same time communicates a new vehicle concept. From the first glance, it’s clear that this is an exceptionally roomy vehicle, yet also a highly dynamic one.

Inside the 5 Series Gran Turismo, users find generous dimensions, inspired contemporary design, and individualized luxury. Sweeping contours – such as those of the interior door panels – combine with rich, premium-quality materials to create an ambiance that’s equally satisfying to front and rear occupants.

At the front: thoroughly modern, traditionally BMW.
The Gran Turismo’s frontal aspect has a marked forward thrust, with its traditional BMW “kidney grille” leaning slightly forward and emphasized by its separation from the flanking (also traditional) four round headlights.

In profile: frameless door windows and a new form of “Hofmeister Kink.”
The 5 Series Gran Turismo is also the first 4-door BMW to have frameless door windows - a feature BMW usually reserves for Coupes and Convertibles. These give an “open” look to side and angled views of the vehicle.

Over the years, another window detail has become a tradition: BMW’s so-called “Hofmeister Kink,” named after Wilhelm Hofmeister, who headed BMW design when this shape first appeared. On the Gran Turismo, it appears in “6-window” (3 windows per side) form in the rear quarter windows aft of the rear doors, framed in matte black plus chrome or optional high-gloss Shadowline black trim.

At the rear: aesthetically and functionally distinctive
Another BMW design tradition, in evidence since the second-generation 7 Series was introduced for 1988 is the freely interpreted L-shape of the rear lighting clusters. On the 5 Series Gran Turismo this theme is retained but new LED lighting tubes wrap far around the body sides and provide yet another recognizable BMW design cue. Together, these elements reinforce the impression of the Gran Turismo’s wide stance, which is further enhanced by strong horizontal lines spanning the bi-modal trunk and likewise tying into the character lines of the side profile.

Function, as much as the handsome aesthetics, is the main attraction of the 5 Series Gran Turismo’s interesting rear view. Below the rear window is a conventional, though shorter-than-usual, sedan trunklid that opens separately to reveal a fully enclosed trunk – sealed off from the passenger cabin by an acoustic partition that renders the interior as quiet as that of a sedan.

To take full advantage of the 5 Series Gran Turismo’s great cargo capacity, the liftgate – including lower trunklid, rear window and an upper section reaching a few inches above the window – can also be opened. There are two releases, one for the trunklid alone, the other for the entire liftgate including trunklid.

Interior design: spacious luxury at its finest.
The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo interior combines space, luxury and stylish materials to create a premium ambiance. In the rear seats as well as up front, there’s a sense of generous space and comprehensive amenities, promoting relaxed and accommodating travel.

The outstanding feeling – and reality – of spaciousness is enhanced by design and materials. Dash and instrument panel lines are decidedly horizontal; door panels sweep dramatically and harmoniously from front to rear. Thanks to their frameless designs, the door windows are larger than they would be with frames, adding to the openness of the cabin. The dual-panel panoramic moonroof, standard on the U.S. model, also contributes to these effects.

Instrument panel in Black Panel technology.
Like so many aspects of the 5 Series Gran Turismo, its instrument cluster combines BMW tradition with advanced, beautiful new executions. Here the entire cluster is in a high-resolution Black Panel display, in which four classic circular instruments are most prominent; other driving-relevant displays and readouts – including Navigation if present, vehicle-monitoring functions, upcoming service requirements and other information – also appear here in their various (and function-related) graphic forms. Climate-control settings and controls are located in a second Black Panel display in the center console stack.

So it is that the advantages of mechanical and electronic displays are ideally combined with eye-catching visual and graphic effects. As the user enters the vehicle, the circular instruments’ “chrome rings,” until now open at the bottom, close and become brighter. Once the ignition is activated (by pressing the Start/Stop button), the numerals plus all other displays and warnings illuminate. As the engine starts, functions that have been previously activated by the driver are then revealed as well.

The new BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo will arrive in BMW Centers this December. Pricing will be announced closer to the on-sale date.

BMW 5-Series GT photos CLICK ON THE THUMBNAILS FOR THE FULL WALLPAPER SIZED PICTURES

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #2
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Looks nice love the interior!
perfect vehicle for the soccer mom!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Nice interior!

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

I think it would be impossible to design an uglier car, I love the interior though.
      10-25-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
CSL-Fanatik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3, e46 M3 CSL

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWI6 View Post
I think it would be impossible to design an uglier car, I love the interior though.
Couldn't agree more. I sat in one in Germany yesterday and played around with it. Interior is great, and I like the front as well. But no matter how hard I try, the rear is ugly in RL and in pictures.. Sry BMW...

Best,

CSL
      10-25-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
mantissss
...eagerly awaiting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

saw this car in Orlando at my dealership
not gunna lie it looks like crap in the photos but man this car is sweet in person it is such a bold looking car and not to mention it was loaded with everything including the all so awesome HUD
      10-25-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
CaliE90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2021 M550xi  [0.00]
I hope those LED AEs get a little bit thicker and make it into every other bmw model
      10-25-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

I'm going there.

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #9
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Low&Slow

Christ, this is one of the most hideous BMWs I have ever seen from an exterior point of view. The interior is really awesome though.

Montego Blue 2007 E92 335i - ZSP / ZPP / Steptronic / Logic7
Broadway Static - CCW - Megan - Orion
Instagram: bmwforlife
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 06:29 AM   #10
ebeem
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M - Paket

I need those Angel Eyes for my car!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #11
Nr!qUe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 LCI 328i 6MT

I hopefully will be going to the show this weekend, I'll take some more pictures and post them up.
2009 BMW E90 328i | Xenons | MT | Space Gray | Beige-ette | CF Fabric Trim | iPod/USB | 20% Tints | Euro-Plate | Rear Fog Switch Lego Mod | Painted Reflectors | Performance Short-shift Kit | Style 197 Wheels | OEM Sport Suspension |
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 05:30 AM   #12
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

Why couldn't BMW just let the Aztek rest in peace?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #13
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoggm3 View Post
Why couldn't BMW just let the Aztek rest in peace?
Yeah the resemblance is uncanny

Appreciate 0