ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Balaclava
Rep
Drives: 1M for fun, 330xd for winter

non-M Z4 balanced brake upgrade?

Hello,

I have 355mm Brembo GT kit in the front (drilled), to be installed soon, and would like to keep good brake balance and also match the looks in the back. I was thinking stainless steel brake lines, better pads and drilled rotors in the OEM 294mm size in the rear should do the job, do you agree? If not, what do you recommend?

-- What brake pads do you like and use with the non-M Z4? Looking for something giving better grip than OE, something that can tolerate occasional track (ab)use, but must work OK on the street. I don't mind brake dust, like to clean my car regularly...

-- What do you recommend for rotors? Should I stay with OE size? What drilled rotors you recommend to match the looks of the front brembos?

I think the rear brakes are the same for the 2005 3.0i and the 2007 3.0si, I think they only changed the front brakes, so this may apply to most non-M cars here.

-- Finally, do you have any idea how to check if the rear brake discs for the E46 328i are the same as in the Z4? They are the same size (294x19), but different part numbers (34216766219 vs 34211165563), although they look the same on the realoem drawing. Would a Brembo rear rotor for the 328i fit on the Z4?

-- Is this too many questions for one thread? I hope not, being a bit of a newbie here. Thanks for any help/advice!
      10-30-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
MrPedals
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 M3 Mystic Blau

I am also extremely interested in all of these exact questions!!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringSpeed View Post
Hello,

I have 355mm Brembo GT kit in the front (drilled), to be installed soon, and would like to keep good brake balance and also match the looks in the back. I was thinking stainless steel brake lines, better pads and drilled rotors in the OEM 294mm size in the rear should do the job, do you agree? If not, what do you recommend? in my opinion i would just keep the rear stock. you probably wouldnt notice a difference if you changed them or made them larger. also, if you did go with a larger rotor you would need to replace the carriers and calipers as well. stainless lines seem to be hit or miss on some cars. on my old gti they were a night and day difference. on my brothers A4 it didn't feel any different. so it seems hit or miss

-- What brake pads do you like and use with the non-M Z4? Looking for something giving better grip than OE, something that can tolerate occasional track (ab)use, but must work OK on the street. I don't mind brake dust, like to clean my car regularly... i've heard good things about the hawk hps street pads which seem like a good choice for street and occasional track use

-- What do you recommend for rotors? Should I stay with OE size? What drilled rotors you recommend to match the looks of the front brembos? as mentioned above, for the rear i'd probably just stay stock especially since you gotta swap carriers/calipers if you do go larger. i wouldnt go with drilled rotors either as they are known for cracking. stick with slotted or just plain blanks.

I think the rear brakes are the same for the 2005 3.0i and the 2007 3.0si, I think they only changed the front brakes, so this may apply to most non-M cars here. yes the rears are the same part #. fronts on the si are 325x25 and 300x22 on the i

-- Finally, do you have any idea how to check if the rear brake discs for the E46 328i are the same as in the Z4? They are the same size (294x19), but different part numbers (34216766219 vs 34211165563), although they look the same on the realoem drawing. Would a Brembo rear rotor for the 328i fit on the Z4? i dont believe they are the same. if i remember correctly, the part of the rotor that has the holes for the lug bolts protrudes out further on the z4. this was just what i saw with my eye when changing my neighbors (e46 328) rear rotors so i may be wrong but it did seem wider on the z4

-- Is this too many questions for one thread? I hope not, being a bit of a newbie here. Thanks for any help/advice! yes it is! now get out!
see replies in blue

Last edited by nickpapa; 10-31-2009 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
Balaclava
Rep
Drives: 1M for fun, 330xd for winter

Thanks a lot, nickpapa, I'll follow your advice! I appreciate you taking the time to answer all my questions.
      10-31-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

no problem! by the way, i took a quick glance at my neighbors rear rotors and they were definitely not as wide as the z4. maybe an inch and a half to 2 inch difference in width
Appreciate 0