E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > got a Speeding Ticket but its weird

11-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
TheTwinz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 300Z

got a Speeding Ticket but its weird

Yesterday I got a speeding ticket going 65 driving down Diamond Bar Blvd. Diamond Bar is considered to be Los Angeles County. The ticket I received is from Orange Police Department, and at the bottom where it shows you which courthouse you have to go to, it states Pomona. So, what the f*ck... ? Is there a limitation as to who can pull you over and where? Where do I go to find my ticket info? lasuperiorcourt.org or occourt.org?

The stupid thing is, it was a cop on a motorcycle, and I was driving home at 1:05am. i saw the one taillight in the back, and I thought to myself, theres no way a motorcycle cop would be out patrolling past midnight. Well, I was wrong. WTF. He said he paced me going 65, no laser, no radar. Any one know of any loopholes with being paced? Like, arguing that maybe his speedometer was broken?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTwinz View Post
Yesterday I got a speeding ticket going 65 driving down Diamond Bar Blvd. Diamond Bar is considered to be Los Angeles County. The ticket I received is from Orange Police Department, and at the bottom where it shows you which courthouse you have to go to, it states Pomona. So, what the f*ck... ? Is there a limitation as to who can pull you over and where? Where do I go to find my ticket info? lasuperiorcourt.org or occourt.org?

The stupid thing is, it was a cop on a motorcycle, and I was driving home at 1:05am. i saw the one taillight in the back, and I thought to myself, theres no way a motorcycle cop would be out patrolling past midnight. Well, I was wrong. WTF. He said he paced me going 65, no laser, no radar. Any one know of any loopholes with being paced? Like, arguing that maybe his speedometer was broken?

Thanks

i can't help you with the jurisdiction about who can give you the ticket where, but when you go to court, take something that you know the speed of.

like one of my friends got a speeding ticket from being paced, he took a quarter dropped it from chest height and asked the cop "can you tell me how fast was the quarter dropping from my chest till it hit the ground"...he said no, than my friend said "than how can you positively identify my car at the speed of XX, if you can't give me the number of how fast the quarter was dropping"... and the judge dismissed his case.

but anyways, you can take something you FOR SURE can prove how fast is moving and if he guesses at a wrong speed, you are in favor in front of the judge.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Nerd View Post
like one of my friends got a speeding ticket from being paced, he took a quarter dropped it from chest height and asked the cop "can you tell me how fast was the quarter dropping from my chest till it hit the ground"...he said no, than my friend said "than how can you positively identify my car at the speed of XX, if you can't give me the number of how fast the quarter was dropping"... and the judge dismissed his case.
I don't see how that applies to pacing. Pacing is when the cop is driving behind you at the same speed as you and they look down at their speedometer to tell how fast you are going. That argument would work if the cop was sitting on the side of the road and pulled you over for flying past him, but he didn't have a radar readout. If it were physically possible for the cop to drive behind that falling quarter at the same speed , then yes of course he would have been able to tell how fast it was going.

But good for your friend getting it dismissed, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2009, 10:35 PM   #4
xsb00st
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow

I've got a buddy who works for Orange PD and he told me he can pull people over in another city, but he chooses not to because he has to show up at that city's/county's court house.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 03:43 AM   #5
Z22Z
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: WRX

as far as pacing goes they have to follow you for a quarter of a mile. you can argue that he didnt.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 07:15 AM   #6
Samuel L Jackson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

Just do a Trial by Declaration, then if that fails do a Trial de novo. I wrote about that in another thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

bad timing man, i dont drive on diamond bar blvd much
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
200Duece
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '73 2002,'18 X5 35d,'17 328d T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z22Z View Post
as far as pacing goes they have to follow you for a quarter of a mile. you can argue that he didnt.
There is no minimum distance. it is all circumstantial. I tried that a couple months back. You basically are telling the Judge that the officer is lying. not a good move.

1988 E28 535is Euro Conversion --- sold
2009 E90 335 6MT --- sold
2003 E39 540iT Msport --- sold
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #9
200Duece
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Nerd View Post
i can't help you with the jurisdiction about who can give you the ticket where, but when you go to court, take something that you know the speed of.

but anyways, you can take something you FOR SURE can prove how fast is moving and if he guesses at a wrong speed, you are in favor in front of the judge.
9.8 mps = gravity your buddy should have got owned

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 12:05 PM   #10
200Duece
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTwinz View Post

Thanks
Most motor officer's are traffic cops and they are often asked to do overtime work in neighboring cities for the local PD's

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #11
twinturbopg
How you like them apples?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
btw i totally wanted that sn...but u can keep the ticket though lol
      11-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #12
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

DBar doesn't have it's own PD from what I remember. Contracts out.
Appreciate 0