E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Garage door opener not working

08-10-2005, 09:21 PM   #1
Jim2
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Garage door opener not working

Dear All:

My garage door opener is not working at all, I have read the manual thoroughly and even reset it for several times but still not working.

The garage door remote is good, I was able to do that in my previous Audi A6.

Anybody can help?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2005, 09:35 PM   #2
Ed_330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

is it by any chance a craftsman door opener?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2005, 10:20 PM   #3
ex-poster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 328, 2006 330

The BMW manual is wrong (or unclear, same deal).

The very last step where you press the button of your choice on the mirror three times, you must hold it in each time for 2 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2005, 10:25 PM   #4
bmwboy29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 325xi

Do you guys know if the garage door opener has to be very new? Ours I think is from the early to mid 80s... does it matter?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2005, 11:24 PM   #5
zippo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I had to "program" it several times before I got it to work....guess I stumbled into the "hold it for 2 seconds" thing by sheer luck. Also, I had to experiment with the remote's distance from the mirror to get the little green LED to flash, as I recall, *farther* away worked better than real close in...

No doubt you've noticed in the manual the two, slightly different procedures for programming, depending on whether your opener has what I think is termed "code rotation" or not? Not sure when they started offering that feature.

Mine has it (1 year old opener), and though the manual for it doesn't explicitly say it's "HomeLink (R)" compatible, it works!

Do you get the green LED to flash as per the manual?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2005, 12:43 AM   #6
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwboy29
Do you guys know if the garage door opener has to be very new? Ours I think is from the early to mid 80s... does it matter?
Its actually easier to program older garage doors w/o rolling code. I have a Linear from '82 and it worked just fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2005, 10:06 PM   #7
Jim2
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Sorry to be a pain, but mine is still not working

It's not Craftsman, it's a Linear instead.

I till don't understand the differences between manual and what "smithrh" says, can you put it more clear? thank u.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2005, 11:06 PM   #8
Steply
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i Graphite

also, I've noticed that after it's programed, I have to hold it for a couple seconds for it to open my garage (whereas, my original garage remote only required a quick tap of the button).
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 09:45 AM   #9
Jess
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Mine doesnt work either. :mad: I have to hold the button for more than 2 seconds for sure before the green light starts blinking and it still doesnt work.
      08-12-2005, 10:13 AM   #10
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

The system is not compatable with all brands

Go to www.homelink.com ( the OEM suplier of the system ) and see what systems are compatable with it
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 10:16 AM   #11
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Also try here

http://www.eurohomelink.com/_uk/programming.html

they have a interactive programming guide, aswell as a PDF programming guide
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2005, 02:14 AM   #12
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

I have just programmed my homelink system in my car after trying for a month to do so. The homelink website is a lot more help then then how the bmw manual describes to program the homelink system. Heres a little walk through taken from the homelink website

1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.) - You HAVE to do this before you start the whole prodcedure

2.Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (located on your overhead), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view. - Don't believe in the 1-3 inches that homelink says, try to have the remote as close as possible

3.Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)

4.Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.
-If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.
-If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.

5.At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the “learn” or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the garage door opener’s manual or contact us.

6.Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.

7.Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.