Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Runflats to Non runflats

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-11-2005, 12:14 AM   #1
tjalt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 4.4 (330 soon)i

Runflats to Non runflats

Has anyone changed their tires from runflats to non runflats? If so, any difference? On the Mini board, lots of people have and noticed better handling and quieter. Only drawback, need to carry a tire repair kit and compressor.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2005, 12:23 AM   #2
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

No, I am very happy with my pirelli runflats. Granted, I am still in car run in mode but I do not have any intention to change my tyres to non run flats.

Welcome aboard.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2005, 09:03 AM   #3
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

I'm getting rid of runflats ASAP,
the pirelli is the only runflat available in 325 sport tire size, and I think they make too much noise and don't grip enough. they'll probably last forever since they don't grip much
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2005, 09:08 AM   #4
Joker
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Garage List
2005 320i  [0.00]
Remember that the setup of the car is made for runflats. Changing to non runflat tyres will affect the handling but offcourse all this depends on the type of tyre used. If you use something like 225/45 I doubt there is any difference. My problem is that in Finland we use winter tyres and they should be rather soft to grip well and the runflats are certainly not soft tyres...
      08-11-2005, 09:26 AM   #5
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker
Remember that the setup of the car is made for runflats. ...
I am skeptical of this assertion of BMW. My first thought is that they mean new chasis was designed to transmit less of the harshness of run-flats. However, that doesn't mean non-run-flats wouldn't ride even smoother.

I think it is marketing and liability. Run-flats seem convenient, allow for greater storage space, lighter weight, and less change of a snooty bmw customer having to get their hands dirty. Also, there were many complaints about other bimmers equipped with those tire-fix-it kits (eg, M3).

If you can live with the tire fix-it-kit, I cannot see a downside to non-run-flats.

Please, prove to me otherwise... and don't say because bmw says so!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2005, 09:41 AM   #6
brewer
Private
Rep
Drives: Arctic E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker
Remember that the setup of the car is made for runflats. Changing to non runflat tyres will affect the handling but offcourse all this depends on the type of tyre used. If you use something like 225/45 I doubt there is any difference. My problem is that in Finland we use winter tyres and they should be rather soft to grip well and the runflats are certainly not soft tyres...
I really think that's just BMW advertising. Plenty of members here are running regular nonrunflats and they not only said that the handling is the same, but it's a smoother ride too. Dont buy into every last thing BMW says.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2005, 09:51 AM   #7
E90 Enthusiast
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I'm not worried about the ride quality as much as tire wear, and frequent replacement on my soft sport-pkg tires. Some have mentioned replacement costs of $400 per tire - steep!!
      08-11-2005, 09:52 AM   #8
davinet78
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d

Garage List
i think that the run flat is something that we all have to get used to because in the future most cars will run on runflat.
      08-11-2005, 09:54 AM   #9
E90
Bemuri
Rep
Drives: 2013/320i AxDrive Alpine White

I drove my E90 320i for 3 month´s with Continental run -flats .They are too hard for our roads here in Finland.You can really feell all bumps on the road.It is all differnce driving in Germany on their motorways .There run -flats are ok.I drove there in June.Two weeks ago I changed my tyres to Continental Contact 225/45/17" and the ride is much smoother and less tyre noise.You can also take the bumps like I did it with my E39 and E46.So my opinion is that somewhere else run-flats are doing a good job.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2005, 10:40 AM   #10
fredtoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325 328 350

Garage List
1986 328  [0.00]
2006 325  [0.00]
I will most likely switch to the non run flats. I think the on board tire pressure moniter will give enough warning that something is going wrong.
A can of Flat Fix will handle the other emergencies.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2005, 10:50 AM   #11
Joker
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Garage List
2005 320i  [0.00]
If regular tyres really work and corner aswell as the runflats then I gues BMW should use the regular tyres. Still I doubt that a car manufacturer that builds such superbly handling cars would use runflat tyres knowing that they are not as good as regular tyres. That would truly be a bad marketing strategy.

Last edited by Joker; 08-11-2005 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2005, 11:00 AM   #12
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

If you do decide to go to non-runflats, a really cool and compact repair kit is the Slime "Smart Spair". Lots of people with Minis carry them. It would easily fit in the little compartment under the trunk. (that's where I keep my owner's manual and tire guage too.

http://www.slime.com/smartspairs/

Their office is less than a mile from my house, and I know quite a few people that work there. In fact, I just realized I know the girl in the picture on the website. (She works for them).

It's a great product. If you get a flat, you add sealant to the tire, inflate with the compressor, and then get to a tire shop. You can have the tire shop wash out the sealant (which is biodegradeable) and then repair the tire and remount.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2005, 11:40 AM   #13
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
I'm getting rid of runflats ASAP,
the pirelli is the only runflat available in 325 sport tire size, and I think they make too much noise and don't grip enough. they'll probably last forever since they don't grip much
Bridgestone make those sizes aswell for the E90 as RE050's
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2005, 11:48 AM   #14
NaTuReB0Y