EXXEL Distributions

11-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 Vert, Silverstone II DCT.

Launch Control

I've been trying to get into the launch control but for some reason, which is probably down to me, I can't seem to activate it. Here is what I'm doing:

1. Foot on brake
2. De-activate DSC.
3. Make sure all bars are lit up

This is where its gets interesting, the next stage, as directed by the handbook, is to push the gearstick forward until the chequered flag appears on the dash. I do this but nothing happens, i.e no chequered flag. I know there are other steps to take, but i can't seem to get past this one and no point in going further until I do.

I know I'm missing a step or three, but can some kind soul let me know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Flapps
      11-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Are you engaging S6?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 06:55 AM   #3
mikewads
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe DCT

Push stick forward then release the brake. Flag should appear if car is propely warmed up and transmission tempature is OK.

2009 BMW M3 ESS Supercharged / Nitrous - 10.87 @ 131 MPH / 60 - 130 MPH in 6.23 secs
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I have tried to engage S6 via the idrive but it will only let me select S5. When I do manage to put S6 up and come out of it, it reverts back to S5!..........and i did all this after I had been for a blast so engine, oil and transmission is throughly warmed to optimum working temp.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm sure its me at fualt and not the car, but its fantastic trying to find out what I'm doing wrong..........
      11-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
frenchM3dreamer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GTP

I'm pretty sure you have to turn Traction Control totally off before you can switch to S6...
but i dont drive a M3 so i couldnt tell you how you do that
should be in the manual anyway, or i'm 100% sure i've read other posts about that lately...

Pat
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchM3dreamer View Post
I'm pretty sure you have to turn Traction Control totally off before you can switch to S6...
but i dont drive a M3 so i couldnt tell you how you do that
should be in the manual anyway, or i'm 100% sure i've read other posts about that lately...

Pat
Cheers for that, turned off the DSC via the idrive and even manually via the switch by the gear selector, which is then pushed forward but I still get no flag symbol appearing on the dash. I have gone deeper into the idrive and I can't seem to change S5 to S6, well I can change it but as soon as I exit that particular field the 6 reverts back to 5

I have trawelled over the manual to no avail as well. Looks like its back to the school of hard knocks for me!

Flapps
      12-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #7
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapps View Post
Cheers for that, turned off the DSC via the idrive and even manually via the switch by the gear selector, which is then pushed forward but I still get no flag symbol appearing on the dash. I have gone deeper into the idrive and I can't seem to change S5 to S6, well I can change it but as soon as I exit that particular field the 6 reverts back to 5

I have trawelled over the manual to no avail as well. Looks like its back to the school of hard knocks for me!

Flapps
if i remember correctly....press dsc on the dash until it deactivates fully = then click the drivelogic button up to prog 6 - then you're ready to press brake and push knob forward for chqred flag
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 06:34 AM   #8
MontyRFC
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E93, 07 S-Class, LR Disco

Quote:

Flapps
Foot on brake, engage M mode, deactivate DSC completely, move to S6 (should stay with M mode engaged), foot off break, push lever forward = chequered flag, depress accellerator fully, engines bounces off 5500 rpm. I've got this far but not released it yet, waiting for dry, straight and safe road.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 11:30 PM   #9
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyRFC View Post
Foot on brake, engage M mode, deactivate DSC completely, move to S6 (should stay with M mode engaged), foot off break, push lever forward = chequered flag, depress accellerator fully, engines bounces off 5500 rpm. I've got this far but not released it yet, waiting for dry, straight and safe road.
Cheers Monty, will try that out once the roads are suitably dry to do so.......

Flapps
      12-26-2009, 06:02 AM   #10
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Well bugger me.............whilst sitting in traffic during the recent snow problems the devil found work for idle hands, in this case fingers. I have found how to engage the launch control at last

The only snag............couldn't quite bring myself to unleash the beans in the snow as it would've been a bit eye-popping!

Flapps

Last edited by Flapps; 01-13-2010 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 05:34 AM   #11
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

Lol.. I havent even tried it yet.... dont want to blow that engine.

Quote:
Well bugger me.............whilst sitting in traffic during the recent snow problems the devil found work for idle hands, in this case fingers. I have found how to engage the launch control at last

The only snag............could quite bring myself to unleash the beans in the snow as it would've been a bit eye-popping!

Flapps
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 03:05 AM   #12
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbona View Post
Lol.. I havent even tried it yet.... dont want to blow that engine.
no danger of that with the DCT launch control.

I did SMG launch control in my old E46 M3 and it was fantastic . I'm going to give this a go in the spring too
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #13
Mollox
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyRFC View Post
Foot on brake, engage M mode, deactivate DSC completely, move to S6 (should stay with M mode engaged), foot off break, push lever forward = chequered flag, depress accellerator fully, engines bounces off 5500 rpm.
HOW complicated? I'd be long gone by now

And dont tell me you get an extra engine with DCT??
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #14
Dougie335
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

Hi Guys,
Just had my DCT's run-in service (at 1500 miles) and thought I would give the launch control a try. Only did it twice. All that seems to happen is the tires leave a 30 yard piece of rubber on the road and the back end constantly tries to step out. So much so that I have to back off before I lose control. The cars fitted with Continental Contisportcontact 3's.
Anyone else have the same problem and what tires do you use?

PS. used to have a 335i DCT and it hooked up much quicker.

Dougie.
Appreciate 0