E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > following too close ticket

11-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
lilboilooser
Rep
Drives: JB 335i

following too close ticket

Hey, new here.

I was wondering if anyone in the socal area has ever gotten a ticket for following a car too closely. I got the ticket yesterday while driving on the 5 going south around the Irvine area. The officer said i was going 78 (gave me a verbal warning for speeding) and weaving through traffic. I felt that I was going with the traffic flow (bad argument), but my lane changes were basically, going from the left most lane, to the right, then back to the left, to pass a car in front of me. He said I was being reckless driving too close to the car in front of me during my lane changes.

I'm considering whether I want to fight this ticket or not, afterall he did give me a verbal for speeding (plus I'm not even sure it's something I can even win). The only problem is, I got a speeding ticket in June, and just took traffic school the day before ::facepalm::
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

what ticket is it called when you tailgate, i didnt know it was possible to get a ticket for it
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
JonLerd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i coupe

yeah that was my first ticket and its not worth fighting because there is no way to prove that you werent....its the cops word over yours....i got mine back in 2000 and i argued that it was the effects of HID's that simulated the appearance that i was following too close since the lights are brighter....i even had print outs and tech specs and all...long story short the judge bought into it all up till the cop testified then i was founded guilty...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
lilboilooser
Rep

yea, that's what I figured. Since he was behind me, he probably has video evidence and everything, and I it was during the daytime, so I guess there's really nothing for me thatI can prove.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
SES_D
pewpew
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

unfortunately it's up to the officer to decide if you were driving recklessly...I wouldn't fight this one...maybe just go to judge to get fine reduced and grant you another traffic school opportunity ... maybe lol
      11-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
lilboilooser
Rep

my luck has been horrible. my last ticket in june, i asked for a reduction and the judge said " I only reduce fines that are $600+" which makes no sense to me...like asking me to be more reckless to get a reduction for a cheaper ticket.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 10:43 PM   #7
Jvo
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Convertible AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilboilooser View Post
my luck has been horrible. my last ticket in june, i asked for a reduction and the judge said " I only reduce fines that are $600+" which makes no sense to me...like asking me to be more reckless to get a reduction for a cheaper ticket.
qq I agree with SES_D just try and talk to the judge and ask if he can reduce the ticket i guess.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 11:51 PM   #8
Bora20
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si M-Sport

pass on the left next time while doing the speed limit, problem solved.

pay the ticket and be happy that they didn't catch you every other time, that is how i look at it.
      11-17-2009, 12:27 AM   #9
sokdo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bora20 View Post
pass on the left next time while doing the speed limit, problem solved.

pay the ticket and be happy that they didn't catch you every other time, that is how i look at it.
WELL it's not so simple you see in los angeles where the slow people drive on the LEFT lane also slow people drive on the RIGHT lane.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 12:31 AM   #10
Bora20
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokdo View Post
WELL it's not so simple you see in los angeles where the slow people drive on the LEFT lane also slow people drive on the RIGHT lane.
Yes, they are everywhere. They are usually doing the speed limit because they saw the cop that you didn't. That is the only time I do the speed limit too.
      11-17-2009, 01:48 AM   #11
sokdo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bora20 View Post
Yes, they are everywhere. They are usually doing the speed limit because they saw the cop that you didn't. That is the only time I do the speed limit too.
This actually causes more problems I would imagine because the flow of traffic is 80 but yet they're doing 65. Now it's not really a problem but when you're in the fast lane doing 65 while everyone is going 15+ faster than you, then you need to speed up or gtfo. No rational cop is going to pull you over for doing 80 when 50 other cars around you are doing 80. Maybe if you're doing 95 or something but within reason of 70-80 you won't get pulled over unless you have the shittiest luck but I mean realistically cops are people and they seem to have a certain amount of common sense. I see cops doing 75-80 all the time on the 110 and 91 when there isn't much traffic.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 06:31 AM   #12
JonLerd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i coupe

yeah especially for a ticket like following too close...thats one of those dick moves that a cop is trying to mess with you. They probably tried following you to get you one speeding or something else but in the end thats all they could get you for. When i got pulled over for that i was the one following the cop and my friend was on the right side of me in his car and witness the bs too... but still loss...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #13
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

at 78 mph it would take you probably close to 300 feet to stop, even with the amazing BMW braking system. Were you closer than that when you passed? He also wrote the vehicle code you violated on the ticket. Look it up and see what he actually wrote you up for violating. He may have been kind and given you the lesser of evils in the ticket since it won't be as expensive as the 78.

Best regards,
Wede
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 10:39 PM   #14
lilboilooser
Rep

update on this ticket, it's been almost a month already, but there's been no courtesy notice sent home, so i'm guessing either i check online or call?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 08:52 AM   #15
McMuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Widebody 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilboilooser View Post
update on this ticket, it's been almost a month already, but there's been no courtesy notice sent home, so i'm guessing either i check online or call?
No, need for a courtesy notice, your date and time are at the bottom of the ticket.
Appreciate 0