E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > leg room

08-12-2005, 10:20 AM   #1
Minarets
Private
Rep
Drives: maxima

leg room

as some know...i am looking at buying a new car here in the not too distant future. my wife and i are expecting our first baby here in DEC. its a boy!! wooooooooot....anyway, i am 24 and looking for my first nice car. i currently drive a 1996 maxima with 192,000 trouble free miles. Nissan/Infiniti has earned my respect with that. I am looking at a G35 (which i get a really good employee pricing on) and the 325/330i.

i love both models for different reasons. obviously my car is used a lot for commuting. i drive 80 miles round trip a day. (advantage 3series) i love the looks of both cars and the feel. is the leg room ample in the back? i took a test drive last weekend and the 330i on the floor i sat in the back and had zero room. i didnt adjust the seat upfront, so it could have been all the way back. it was also manu seat, which i cannot stand in the BMW. there were at least 5 different levers to adjust.

anyway. my wife has a Trailblazer so anytime we NEED space we can have it--however, i would like people to fit comfortably in my car if need be.

looks--for me toss up. love both the G35 and the 330i, maybe a hair towards the 330i
performance--the G feels faster to me, but the 3did corner better
price/cost--advantage G, with my discount i can get a fully loaded G for $34500, with what i want on the 330i it runs close to $40,000
maint--advantage BMW. 4yr/50,000 nice to have...wonder if there will be a lot of used BMW sold in 2010?
feel--advantage 330i
roominess for 4--well , i cant say yet, since i was an idiot and didnt properly adjust the seats when test driving.
NAV--advantage BMW...i like the look of the "birdseye" view of infiniti, but i dont like the annying buttons to program with. i have only used the new idrive opnce, but it seemed pretty nice--lots better then the 7series that i used before.

anyway, again, sorry for the long posts. i am so excited about new cars. i test drive new cars every week....from $30,000 to $70,000....i love cars. now affording to own one is my problem. the M45 is my favorite i have driven on the current market. the 330i and G35 are my next 2 favs. they i can afford, the M i cannot

this forum is the best 3 series forum i have found yet! thanks guys. owner enjoy, wanters, i feel your pain.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 11:03 AM   #2
icedragon
guardian of ice and snow
Rep
Drives: 128i, 325i

Garage List
06 325xi  [0.00]
If u adjust the front seats a little higher, there is plenty of legroom as the rear passengers can then place their feet under the front seats. I find that compared to other cars, the E90 also has a lot of rear headroom. And if u get their folding rear seat option, u will also have plenty of storage space.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 11:10 AM   #3
icedragon
guardian of ice and snow
Rep
Drives: 128i, 325i

Garage List
06 325xi  [0.00]
On a side note, brand-wise, BMW has more snob-appeal then Infiniti
But honestly, BMW is an international brand and exists as BMW all over the world. Nissan just made up the name Infiniti, which is basically a Nissan with leather. Infiniti only exists in North America and a few parts of the world. If u go to Japan and tell people u drive an Infiniti they will think you're a weirdo. Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti do not exist in Japan. Instead, they are sold as cheaper Toyotas, Hondas, and Nissans. However, last month, Toyota tried launching the Lexus name in Japan. I don't know how well that will work tho. Why would ppl buy a Lexus IS when they can buy a cheaper Toyota Altezza? (which is the same as the IS, but without leather)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 11:16 AM   #4
KillDork
First Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: E90 MY '06 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minarets
is the leg room ample in the back? i took a test drive last weekend and the 330i on the floor i sat in the back and had zero room. i didnt adjust the seat upfront, so it could have been all the way back. it was also manu seat, which i cannot stand in the BMW. there were at least 5 different levers to adjust.
All the levers are why the BMW seats are some of the best in the business, allthough electric seats are nice.
Aluminium trim|black Dakota leather|Xenon|Comfort Access|Sports seats|Steptronic|iDrive Professional|Bluetooth|Voice|PDC front & rear|sun shade rear window & sides|auto dim outside & inside mirrors|Comfort|Dynamic|Advantage
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 11:56 AM   #5
Minarets
Private
Rep

electric will have to be a must for me. i did not enjoy the manu. i am sure you get used to it, but i had no clue which one id what, and it was always adjusting the wrong thing
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 11:58 AM   #6
z1ppo325i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: blk.s e90 325i

lol yeah.. if you raise the seat you have leg room, if you lower, zero leg room.. if your under 6 feet, you can raise seat comfortable providing ample leg room in the back seats... but if price is a deciding factor, why pass on a fully loaded g35 with emplyee discount? people love the g35 but once they own a bmw, they fall in love with it (most of the time) and become enthusiasts... thats why bmw clubs are prominent.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

If the car had manual seats then it was a 325, not a 330i. I have three boys (6 8, 11) and they fit great in my E46, which has slightly less rear seat room than the E90. The G35 has a bit more legroom than an E90. The difference is insignificant, IMO; as you suggested, move the front seat up a touch more and the cars are the same. If you have a kid on the way then I would opt for the E90 for safety reasons. The seat anchors for car seats (and the BMW car seat itself), air bag setup, and general chassis are outstanding in the E90. As your child gets older the visibility out is a little better in the E90 too.

The tough issue is your employee discount. You might want to consider an EuroDelivery on the BMW, especially if you can get a free ticker over.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 01:44 PM   #8
Minarets
Private
Rep

WHOA!

how would you get a free ticket over? the Euro delivery would be way more expensive no? fly over, have it shipped back? wow
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 02:15 PM   #9
Minarets
Private
Rep

now i found out i can get a M35 sport with journey pkg for about the same as the 330i with what i want.....

dang! decisions!!!!!!!

i want both!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 02:36 PM   #10
gsxrpaul
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Leg room is good in the new 3. When I played in a basketball tournament about a month or so back I was the one who did the driving. Now I am short at 5'8'', but all my friends are 6'2'' or taller. Not once did they complain about leg room.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 02:45 PM   #11
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

"...Infiniti only exists in North America and a few parts of the world. If u go to Japan and tell people u drive an Infiniti they will think you're a weirdo. Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti do not exist in Japan."
Not quite accurate. A Japanese friend in Tokyo has a 10 year old Infinity Q. The premium cr lines from Japan were indeed conceived to broaden market penetration in the U S but many of them are now available in other markets, including Japan. As you said, some of the cars sold here are marketed under the parent's name in some other markets. As an example, one of the Acuras is a gussied up european market Honda Acord that is different than the Acord sold hers.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 03:04 PM   #12
Minarets
Private
Rep

[QUOTE=ben1364]"...Infiniti only exists in North America and a few parts of the world. If u go to Japan and tell people u drive an Infiniti they will think you're a weirdo. Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti do not exist in Japan."
QUOTE]

you cant be serious? i mean, i know you are using a quote, but c'mon people. am i driving my car in Japan? no...everyone here knows who BMW is and they know who Infiniti is. besides do you buy a car because people know what it is or b/c of how it drives and how you like it.

the M35/45 , imo of course, smokes the 5 series in every way. i am not talking M5, but the 5 series. the 3series however is proilly the best in class, but also has the highest premium

if you really think all Nissan/Infinitis are created the same, your wrong. dont ride off all other maufactuerers b/c it isnt a BMW. i love BMW, but it isnt the only thing out there worth driving. go sit in a M35 and then a maxima. if you really think it is all the same, then you wouldnt no a carrot from a turd.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 03:27 PM   #13
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minarets
...if you really think all Nissan/Infinitis are created the same, your wrong. dont ride off all other maufactuerers b/c it isnt a BMW. i love BMW, but it isnt the only thing out there worth driving. go sit in a M35 and then a maxima. if you really think it is all the same, then you wouldnt no a carrot from a turd.
He is not alone in his views, but really it's just that, an opinion, just like your statement is your opinion, can't get much more basic than that.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 03:35 PM   #14
Minarets
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC
He is not alone in his views, but really it's just that, an opinion, just like your statement is your opinion, can't get much more basic than that.

Danny

Walnut Creek--nice place. i was there last month on buisness. ate at PF Changs--lov ethat place. i could eat that every night. i almost do.

anyway, very nice place. real nice shopping area. luckily my wife was not with me
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 03:43 PM   #15
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Welcome to fatherhood. I recomment you buy Ford Ranger and save the extra $$ for 529 plans and pvt school. honestly though, Pass on the BMW. Get a cheap car to commute to/from work. Let the mom-to-be have the nice car with the car seat since that's the one car all of you will spend the time in when you're together. Afterall, with the little one on the way you WILL be together all the time.

My $02
Appreciate 0