E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Warning of Liquidation??

11-30-2009, 06:01 AM   #1
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Warning of Liquidation??

Is there any way of getting an early warning that a business is about to go ito liquidation???

I ordered a few pairs of heavily discounted designer sunglasses from 'Brand Alley' over a month ago but these have not yet arrived. Their procedure is to collect the money on order as opposed to dispatch and so I've got nearly £300 collecting interest on my credit card with nothing to show for it (didn't realise this before due to usual prompt dispatch).

They have been in touch with me via e-mail apologising for the continued delay but I'm starting to get twitchy.

Two days ago I got a letter telling me that the bathroom company who were holding my £1,000 deposit has gone tits-up so am obviously now paranoid of everything. Luckily I'd paid this deposit on the credit card so doesn't look like there will be any problems in getting it back; eventually.

Just now concerned this, pretty unacceptable, delay is due to them having no cash.

Any way of checking a company's finances out as I may just cancel the order (again I've used my credit card so am not too worried).

CAVEAT - I'M NOT SUGGESTING IN ANY WAY THE BRAND ALLEY ARE IN ANY DIFFICULTY AND THIS MAY SIMPLY BE A LEGITIMATE STOCKING ISSUE (I'm just a little pannicy at present).
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 07:00 AM   #2
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Seems like the panic is over. A very kind forum member has provided me with some information to calm my nerves - I look forward to receiving my new sunglasses (maybe in time for the summer!!).
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 07:00 AM   #3
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

I've run a credit check on them and all looks OK.

They have a credit rating of 92/100 and a lending limit of £165,000.

No CCJs entered against them.

No financial info exists pre 2007.

However, they did make a loss of £4.5m year to Dec 2008.

They are a subdivision of New Corporation.

The above info is all publicly available.

But, who knows really?

If you contact your credit card company to say that you haven't recived the goods from them yet they will place the transaction "in dispute" and you will not be charged interest. You can then cancel the order and wait for your refund (if you don't get refund your card issuer will refund it anyway after 30 days), or wait for the goods and let your card issuer know when goods have arrived and they will then add it back to your statement.

In general it is always best to pay for anything on your credit card to gain the additional protection it brings - particularly online. Never use a debit card as this has zero protection.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 07:03 AM   #4
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Metz. Similar information that I was given. Nice one .
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 07:28 AM   #5
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Any info given now via online credit checks is frankly worthless as it will be old. You need to see very recent audited accounts and up to date monthly management accounts. I have recently researched companies where the online systems show they should be good for credit of 500,000 and then found out from people holding up to date detail that their credit worthiness is now zero. We are living in rapidly moving times so any public info is not that useful.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 07:31 AM   #6
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Any info given now via online credit checks is frankly worthless as it will be old. You need to see very recent audited accounts and up to date monthly management accounts. I have recently researched companies where the online systems show they should be good for credit of 500,000 and then found out from people holding up to date detail that their credit worthiness is now zero. We are living in rapidly moving times so any public info is not that useful.
Depends who you subscribe to and how much wonga you are prepared to pay. The system that my company uses will flag up a CCJ for a client the same day it is logged for example.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 07:55 AM   #7
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep

Quote:
The reason I stated it was public info was to make clear that it wasn't private or otherwise confidential (and wouldn't get the forum into trouble if you see what I mean)

Quote:
You need to see very recent audited accounts and up to date monthly management accounts
This information is not on public record and so is not available for anyone to view - subscription or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
Depends who you subscribe to and how much wonga you are prepared to pay. The system that my company uses will flag up a CCJ for a client the same day it is logged for example.
We pay the wonga and we get the info... which, as PJS has noted, is pretty accurate and updates daily. Gives us detailed ccj, accounts for past 5 years, shareholder and director info - all of which goes along way in assessing "trustworthyness" of companies. Has helped us enormously in managing our debtors and associated credit risks.

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #8
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Can you find out from your systems where my sunglasses are
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 08:06 AM   #9
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post

... you'll have to wait and see what Father Christmas brings you!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 08:10 AM   #10
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
In a Container, due in Felixstowe on thursday
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 09:37 AM   #11
JonD
Major
Rep
Drives: 1 Series Coupe, M Sport

I've just seen our postie wearing a rather cool pair of shades, I thought it was strange for this time of year.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #12
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Up to date Management Accounts and Confidential information are made available to credit insurers by Companies in an attempt to maintain their credit ratings with these people. In my recent experience this is the only source of valuable information but yes you do have to be a client paying a fee to tap into this detail.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 11:02 AM   #13
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Business Edition

Quote:
Up to date Management Accounts and Confidential information are made available to credit insurers by Companies in an attempt to maintain their credit ratings with these people. In my recent experience this is the only source of valuable information but yes you do have to be a client paying a fee to tap into this detail.
Or Plod.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #14
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep

Quote:
Only companies that ARE credit worthy are going to publish midterm financial information to anyone....

If you've got no cash you're clearly going to try and stay UNDER the radar (if you're that way inclined).

The dodgy ones are usually the ones with CCJs mounting up, zero cash balances at end of year, directors with multiple business - many already dissolved or similar name, but recently formed. This is the info that is useful from a paid subsctipription to a decent credit scoring agency in deciding a credit risk.
Appreciate 0