E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > An easy way to clean your car, better than Mr Clean Autodry

08-13-2005, 04:39 PM   #1
evoq
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: beautiful

An easy way to clean your car, better than Mr Clean Autodry

Here are better products for cleaning your car without drying.

http://www.crspotless.com
The CR SPOTLESS De-ionized Water System gives you the same spot-free rinse system used by new car dealers for years. But, now, at a price you can afford and with the convenience you need to make it work for you!

http://www.spotfreeh2o.com/

I have read that the crspotless system works very good, and one of the advantages is the cost vs mr clean autodry, and also that you can add your shampoo, or don't use any shampoo at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2005, 04:49 PM   #2
siriusinvestor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1989 Ugo

Mr Clean autodry is only about $30 bucks... And an extra 7 Bucks for refill soap. Why would any one pay $300 bucks for this system?

I think I know what's going on.............

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2005, 06:20 PM   #3
bzzbenz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93

I personally did not like the Mr. Clean system... Is there really a easy way to wash a car? I don't think so... unless you have it done by someone else...
      08-13-2005, 07:12 PM   #4
evoq
Enlisted Member
Rep

siriusinvestor,

Why would you pay $40,000 for a car if you can pay less than $7,000 for a car?

I would pay $300 for CR SPOTLESS system because it is better, the same as a BMW vs VW.

With Mr Clean auto dry you need to buy a filter and soap for every 10 times of use.

I post this information because I am sure that a lot of people would like to know better systems to clean their car, this is not SPAM because I don't work for any of the companies I show.

I have found the information about this products searching for information about how to clean your car fast without water spots.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The Mister Clean thing is nice, but it will require constant cartridge replacement. If you wash/rinse your cars a lot, get one of these:

www.crspotless.com

I just got the 300 gallon model, and it is amazing! no drying... no spots!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2005, 08:40 AM   #5
fredtoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325 328 350

Garage List
1986 328  [0.00]
2006 325  [0.00]
Good Link,

I was thinking of making my own system, with 20" filters, but this looks like it's woth the money.
I like the set up with the cart and output gage.

I think you can do better than their cost of replacement filter price through an industrial suppler.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2005, 11:06 AM   #6
RICH2005
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Has anyone tried the Mr. Clean System? How does it compare to a regular wash with just the hose or the touchless laser car wash at my local gas station? Does it really result in no water spots after washing and does it result in a cleaner car? Is it that much easier and faster than with the old hose and bucket?

Last edited by RICH2005; 08-14-2005 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2005, 11:23 AM   #7
siriusinvestor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1989 Ugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoq
siriusinvestor,

Why would you pay $40,000 for a car if you can pay less than $7,000 for a car?

I would pay $300 for CR SPOTLESS system because it is better, the same as a BMW vs VW.

With Mr Clean auto dry you need to buy a filter and soap for every 10 times of use.

I post this information because I am sure that a lot of people would like to know better systems to clean their car, this is not SPAM because I don't work for any of the companies I show.

I have found the information about this products searching for information about how to clean your car fast without water spots.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The Mister Clean thing is nice, but it will require constant cartridge replacement. If you wash/rinse your cars a lot, get one of these:

www.crspotless.com

I just got the 300 gallon model, and it is amazing! no drying... no spots!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok I sincerely apologize for my accusation of you spaming the board. Actually quite frankly I am convinced this could work. I am placed my order as we speak.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2005, 11:54 AM   #8
marcus330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6spd

Interesting product....not cheap but perhaps worth a try. If anyone from this forum gets this please post your results and impressions. Now that I have a new black car I would love to clean it often and anything that saves time is welcomed. I wonder if you could save money (get more life out of the cartridges) by using regular water to pre-rinse/wash and then do a final wipe-down/rinse with this system???

Realtor Mobile: 6spd / Sport / Prem / Navi / ED 3-30-06
73 3.0s/84 528e/90 525i/97 M3 4dr/99 M3 Conv/2001 330i/2004 545i ED/2006 330i ED June 05
You're in control...is there anywhere you want to go ? -------------------------
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2005, 01:01 PM   #9
Pangearox
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
man...there is nothing i like doing better after a hard week at work...than parking my car in the garage and spending and hour washing and polishing my baby so that when i drive around on the weekend...all my buddies dream they had my car....

i just yesterday put a nice clear coat on the car...its a spray on product...cant remember the name...same people that make the wax i used when i got the car....

It loooks absolutely STUNNING!...the sparkling graphite in the bright sunshine is AMAZING...

i live in toronto and drove my baby downtown last night for the Foo fighters show and was getting some serious looks from the ladies!!!!!!...

its a lot of work....but its worth it!!!!
      08-14-2005, 09:00 PM   #10
evoq
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have tried Mr Clean Auto Dry and it works ok, but I have notice some water spots on the car, maybe it is because I have not follow the steps correctly.

I like better a filter system like crspotless because you don't need to use soap all the times, or you can use that system with a high pressure system, also if you wash your car a lot, then the Mr Clean Auto dry will cost you more because the filter costs $5 and the soap another $5 for every 10 times of use.

Read this post about mr clean autodry:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2575
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2005, 12:41 AM   #11
xcalibr
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
dry your car with a leaf blower --no spots, guaranteed... completely touchless too! no need for mr clean or that whatever the heck it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2005, 10:41 PM   #12
teamgomez
Rep
Drives: '04 SMG M3

I've used the CR Spotless on my Zaino beauties for a couple years now (both b/f they shipped cartridges and after they designed units suitable for shipping) and, unfortunately, have found another product that I won't be happy if I ever have to live without it...

It used to drive me nuts to pop the hood only to find all the water that got in there were now white rings or while driving away after DRYING the car/SUV, the pooled water would run down the side and I would be the miserable sap two blocks away getting out with a towel to wipe the streaks down. These problems were solved after a buddy of mine that I race with came over with a DI water unit that he got to rinse the RV/Trailer down with. One look at the results and I got hooked.

There's a learning curve to the whole process and over the years I've managed to go thru a couple pressure washers and modify my routine a little. Big factor number 1: Get a 1gpm pressure washer. This will reduce your lifetime DI cartridge units by nearly a factor of 2. My first pressure washer was just under a 2 gpm unit, but after doing the math, I found a Black and Decker 1500 1 GPM unit and now my cartridges seem to last forever (well, around 6 weeks doing 2 washes/week + house windows once/mo).

I've also learned how to 'sweep' the car down with the fan sprayer that gets all the soap off. I rinse w/ DI, use reg water in the bucket, soap the top, DI rinse, soap side, DI rinse, etc, and then pull it in the garage to drip dry. Next am, mist some Z6 or Z8 and it looks like somebody just spent the weekend working over the car.

Hope this helps-

~John
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2005, 10:56 PM   #13
evoq
Enlisted Member
Rep

teamgomez I don't understand you very well.

Right now do you use CR spotless?

If not what other system do you use, please post the URL of the webpage.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 11:25 AM   #14
teamgomez
Rep
Drives: '04 SMG M3

evoq- sorry about the confusion...I was speaking about the CR Spotless system. I've used it for a couple years now and it fits my needs (weekly wash) just right.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2006, 11:03 PM   #15
330i_GS
2006 330i
Rep

mr clean vs spotfree filter

I used the mr clean once and while it worked really well, it looked as though it messed up the wax. The water was not beading at all and that was very concerning to me.... I took the car to the detailer today and had them put a paint sealant on it. Car looks great, water should bead again. My next step is looking into the di300 water filter system. I think having it for all the water needs shoudl cut down on those mysterious water spots that come about the next day after the wash. It will also allow for any soap and air dry.

One small note about the mr clean, the unit leaked like a siv. I was totally soaked when done with washing the car. It was returned back to walmart.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2006, 08:31 AM   #16
GSRstilez
Resident Detailer
Rep
Drives: Soon to be E46 ZHP

Mr. Clean utilizes a de-ionized water system, just on a small scale.

A couple of the detailers I speak to over at www.autopia.org have customer's who have complete de-ionizing systems. Moreso for RV's, coach buses, and large vehicles but they DO work.

This is a great addition for someone who has those large vehicles, but for me, I like drying my car. The only thing I will look into soon is an in-line water softener (no water spots, but still a need to dry).
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2006, 08:34 PM   #17
330i_GS
2006 330i
Rep

di300 system on order

So I made the dive and placed an order for the DI300 spot free water filter system. So far I have not been too impressed with the level of service or response from the company. Messages and requests for call backs have gone unanswered. Hopefully the product will work better but ill keep you posted on the vaility of the systems claims.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2006, 01:42 PM   #18
mikepinkerton
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgomez
(well, around 6 weeks doing 2 washes/week + house windows once/mo).
You have time to wash your car twice a week? Sweet jesus!

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2006, 01:30 AM   #19
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Yes i've seen this before. Mr Clean Autodry is just the 99 cent version compared to this thing correct? The theory seems promising and since i've used Mr Clean Autodry before, I know exactly how this product would make it easier for a car wash. Someone give it a try!!!!!

Quote:
Here are better products for cleaning your car without drying.

http://www.crspotless.com
The CR SPOTLESS De-ionized Water System gives you the same spot-free rinse system used by new car dealers for years. But, now, at a price you can afford and with the convenience you need to make it work for you!

http://www.spotfreeh2o.com/

I have read that the crspotless system works very good, and one of the advantages is the cost vs mr clean autodry, and also that you can add your shampoo, or don't use any shampoo at all.
      01-10-2006, 07:31 PM   #20
Matbrach
Trophy Husband - Honorable Mention
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 330i. X5 4.8

Quote:
I have read that the crspotless system works very good, and one of the advantages is the cost vs mr clean autodry, and also that you can add your shampoo, or don't use any shampoo at all."
I was intrigued and ran some numbers to see if the CRSPOTLESS system really did have a cost advantage (a way to justify purchasing it because it looks cool ) Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be the case in less I planned on using it for over 20 years (see below)

The average car wash uses 20 gallons of water [http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ga..._teacher.html]

The D300 filters 300 gallons before the filters need to be replaced [http://crspotless.com/pgroup_descrip/4/7/] they cost $99.95 plus shipping.

Lets suppose 3 gallons are used in the average car wash for rinsing. With 300 gallons you would get 100 car washes with the D300 before the filters needed to be replaced.

$99.95/100= $0.99 per wash

The Mr. Clean Autodry replacement filter is $5.99 at Autozone [http://www.autozone.com] and filters enough water for up to 10 washes.

$5.99/10 = $0.59 per wash

Now, if you factor in the initial cost of the units the difference becomes remarkable.

First year cost difference (Assume 52 Washes)

CRSPOTLESS ($309.95 includes filters for 100 washes)

$309.95

Mr. Clean Autodry ($19.99 includes filters for 3 washes)

$48.90 ---- $19.99 + $28.91 (.59*49) in filter replacements

Two Years Out
CRSPOTLESS $311.93
MR Clean $77.81

CRSpotless definately looks cooler, and would be the envy of the car washing neighborhood - and it very well may work better the the Autodry (both being sufficient reasons to purchase it) however by my calculations it is not cheaper to use.

If you became very skilled and were able to use just 1 gallon to completely rinse your car the cost would come down to $0.33 per wash. At that rate you would break even over the Autodry system after approximately 1115 washes or slightly over 21 years.

Oh well...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2006, 11:19 PM   #21
330i_GS
2006 330i
Rep

So the unit arrived, days later than expected, but none the less its here. The hookup was pretty simple however one minor detail was left out the instructions... tighten the filters prior to use, becuase the ship loose. Not sure why but there you go. I hook the thing up and water comes out of the filters.... I stopped the hose, tightened back up and good to go. The unit shipps with two restrictors to keep the water flow rate at <2 gallons per minute GPM in case you do not use a power washer (PW).

I went to home depot today, picked one up that flows 1.6 GPM. Seemed like a good unit. It worked pretty good however the hose, 20ft, is too short. you have to keep moving the unit around, kind of a pain in the butt. The car is sitting in the garage right now air drying. It will be intresting to see what it looks like in the am. I used the filtered water for both rinse, wash and follow-up rinse so no unfiltered water was used. ill report back tomorrow on the success ro failure.

on a side note about the math posted here is some food for thought. I used the mr clean and was not impressed. the unit ships with a starter water filter that should be good for 3 washes. I went step by step as directed and used unfilter water for prerinse, soap, unfiltered for rinse, then filtered for finish. the cartirdge was expended, ti turned black. According to instructions this indicates it needs to be reaplced. I believe the overstate the uses of the auto clean filter system. This would significatly reduce the per dollar wash. one final thing about mr clean... the final rinse is at extremly low water pressure. You have to be 10 -18 inches away to get any direct spray on the car. The crspotless deal hooked up to the power washer flowing at 1.6 GPM allowed me to rinse the car very fast and from a distance compared to autoclean.

Long winded response, I know...

I attached the PW
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2006, 01:58 PM   #22
330i_GS
2006 330i
Rep

next day after an air dry......

I would say it was 97% effective in the water spots. There were a few but I wiped those off witha towe. Overall I would say the crspotless with PW was very impressive. I need to give it a few more go's to determine if the minor spotting was a result of the system coming online, or if its just the way it is...

One thing I would suggest to folks is that you find a powerwasher with standard connectors. Makes putting longer hoses on later much more simple.
Appreciate 0