E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Should I take this car?

08-13-2005, 09:46 PM   #1
AC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: SG 330i

Should I take this car?

Folks,

CA called today and my car is in!!! But later found out that the headlamps are totally misty and all power windows/side mirrors are broken. So sad... No delivery for me today...

Should I keep this car? Or should I get another one? Dealer is in the process of fixing it. Said a broken relay due to a short because of wet headlamps. Also found headlamps cover not properly attached at VPC. Will take a couple of day to get the parts in.

What should I do? Should I take this car, or should I wait for another one? I'm worried that more electrical problems will come with this first electrical short... There's none on the lot with the same options.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2005, 10:31 PM   #2
CALIF65GM
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93-35 May08 ED

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
Folks,

What should I do? Should I take this car, or should I wait for another one? I'm worried that more electrical problems will come with this first electrical short... There's none on the lot with the same options.
IMO
If you can handle the wait, I'd wait another car. You're spending close to if not over $40K on a car; you should be able to get a car that you want and don't have to worry about if the electrical system is shot already.

Either way good luck.

Debadged 330xi ED 11/14/05 Auto/Mystic Blue/Gray leather with Alum/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seats/Alarm. Sold to Carmax on 6/7/08 with 50,624 miles on clock
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2005, 10:34 PM   #3
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

If they give you a choice to get another car.....take it. I would....why would you settle for a $40,000 "damage good" product. This is more than a "drill the bumper" issue.....hahahha....no harm intended.
      08-14-2005, 12:02 AM   #4
evoq
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: beautiful

Take another car, if you don't want to wait you will risk to have a car that have more problems in the future.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2005, 12:35 AM   #5
AC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the advice. I guess I should wait since I'm actually spending quite a bit on this car. It's pretty much a fully optioned 330i minus active steering and PDC, and has eveything else.

Oh no, here goes the wait again...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2005, 02:54 AM   #6
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

A year ago I went to a Nissan dealer to pick up a new Maxima, with the specs I wanted. When I arrived, it turns out that the side mirror was broken - just hanging from the side. They said it would only take an hour to fix the whole thing...and it'll be brand spanking new. I said forget it, I don't want it. They then started to justify their actions with all kinds of B.S. like "oh, we could've fixed it and not told you and you would have never noticed." I said, "well too bad you didn't do that." Then I left.

The point is, you don't ever have to buy anything you feel the slightest hesitation about. Especially for a NEW car, I don't want something that's already been through anything more than detailing/cleaning from the factory...especially if you paid $40,000 for the damned thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2005, 04:05 AM   #7
AC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
A year ago I went to a Nissan dealer to pick up a new Maxima, with the specs I wanted. When I arrived, it turns out that the side mirror was broken - just hanging from the side. They said it would only take an hour to fix the whole thing...and it'll be brand spanking new. I said forget it, I don't want it. They then started to justify their actions with all kinds of B.S. like "oh, we could've fixed it and not told you and you would have never noticed." I said, "well too bad you didn't do that." Then I left.

The point is, you don't ever have to buy anything you feel the slightest hesitation about. Especially for a NEW car, I don't want something that's already been through anything more than detailing/cleaning from the factory...especially if you paid $40,000 for the damned thing.
That's great logic. Never settle for something...

The thing now that I'm wondering, does this happen to cars in the lot as well? Coz they could easily fix the car and put it back onto the lot, and the next buyer who comes in will have no clue as to what has happened before. I wonder how common is this?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2005, 05:06 AM   #8
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 530e XDrive

Lots of cars get repaired - shipping damage, damage when unloading, dents for various reasons, happens all the time.

I believe if the damage is over a certain value, thay have to declare it to you, if under, well then, you may never know.

Thay do a good job though, the bodyshop guys are above average, and the repairs are usually indiscernable from factory finish, or as close as it can possibly be.

Sorry to spook anyone, but it DOES happen......
      08-16-2005, 12:24 AM   #9
AC
Enlisted Member
Rep

FYI, dealer agreed to re-build a car for me, but it's gonna take about 3 months. Haven't decided which way I'll go with... Don't know if I can handle 3 months of waiting...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 12:31 AM   #10
blueStreak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 550i

I'd still take it if by broken mirrors/windows you only mean due to the short you mentioned. If you mean the side mirrors are dangling by wires then I'd pass.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 12:39 AM   #11
AC
Enlisted Member
Rep

By broken mirrors/windows, I'm refering to the electrical relay. That part is fried...

The other thing is there was serious condensation in one of the headlamps... It dried up eventually, but I was told that the water in the headlamp is the culprit causing the short relay.

I'll still considering taking it (don't know if 3 months is worth waiting), but I'm just afraid that the water may have caused other things to go which have yet to be discovered.

For complex electronics like these, once it starts to get messed up, it's really difficult to debug.... Speaking like a techie...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 12:44 AM   #12
blueStreak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
I'll still considering taking it (don't know if 3 months is worth waiting), but I'm just afraid that the water may have caused other things to go which have yet to be discovered.

For complex electronics like these, once it starts to get messed up, it's really difficult to debug.... Speaking like a techie...
I hear ya. I just don't know if I'd be able to wait twice for a car.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 01:16 AM   #13
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Maybe E90Fleet can weigh in on this. I do not understand why condensation in the headlight should short the system in this way. I would be concerned with something like the battery ground, and make sure that all the wiring is checked out.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 01:27 AM   #14
AC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc
Maybe E90Fleet can weigh in on this. I do not understand why condensation in the headlight should short the system in this way. I would be concerned with something like the battery ground, and make sure that all the wiring is checked out.
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't understand why the headlight could cause something like this too. But maybe it's same kind of fail-safe mechanism in the system.

To be on the safe side, it's probably just better to wait. Why have all these worries on a brand new car? That's one way I'm looking at it.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 01:31 AM   #15
marcus330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6spd

Don't you think they could replace the broken parts, run the normal diagnostics...and be done? It seems like they should be able to fix anything and make it like new, Can you negotiate a better deal or maybe a free or discounted transferable extended warranty?

Realtor Mobile: 6spd / Sport / Prem / Navi / ED 3-30-06
73 3.0s/84 528e/90 525i/97 M3 4dr/99 M3 Conv/2001 330i/2004 545i ED/2006 330i ED June 05
You're in control...is there anywhere you want to go ? -------------------------
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 01:36 AM   #16
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I agree with marcus330i, if your dealer has a service dept that you trust, they ought to be able to make it right. I would just research the problem thoroughly and make sure they are being straight with you. Too bad you can't get them to put in a set of new euro lamps...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 01:51 AM   #17
AC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc
I agree with marcus330i, if your dealer has a service dept that you trust, they ought to be able to make it right. I would just research the problem thoroughly and make sure they are being straight with you. Too bad you can't get them to put in a set of new euro lamps...
Funny you mentioned the euro lamps, I thought of that too...

Don't have any prior experience with service dept so that part of the equation is out. Though the folks I've spoken with seemed pretty knowledgable.

Diagnostics is another thing... It does make sense that if it passes diagnostics, then it should be fine. But being in a technical profession, I know that a product is only as good as how well it is tested. Meaning, there are some things that diagnostics don't catch because there is just not enough time for the programmer to write those test cases. Testing is a very tedious part of a design, and there is just no way to incorporate all the use cases. This not just relates to cars, but just any electronic product in general.

But maybe I'm just being paranoid, and bringing my professional thoughts into my personal life...
Appreciate 0