2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Anybody planning to order?

12-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
mrwilby
Private
Rep
Drives: Q7, X5

Anybody planning to order?

Ok, its a controversial car, but I just wondered if anybody had been in detailed discussions with a dealer yet about putting down an order (or buying off the lot)?

I'm pondering a 5GT or then an X6. The only reason I would go for the X6 is for the xDrive. I think the 5GT is a more practical car and I prefer the interior over the X6...

It's really a shame that BMW USA didn't bring the diesel engine over...

There's almost no traffic on this site about this model - presumably it really isn't very popular right now :-) Anybody know of a more lively hang out for 5 GT addicts?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

xDrive will be available in the Fall. It was not part of the original launch as BMW did not want it to be viewed as and SAV.

The issue with the GT is that in photos it does not look that great from the back. It looks MUCH better in person and is a very versatile vehicle. Once they start hitting dealers I think you will see more interest.

The Mrs. and I will be ordering a 535 xDrive for euro delivery next fall.

I have put about 2k miles on a 550i already and loved it (for what it is- this is not a high performance model). The only thing I can say is that the car definitely needs at least 19" wheels to look good. The all wheel steering is a help as well.

The back seats are very nice and the interior is the best in a long time from BMW design wise- fit and finish are one step below a 7.

Great vehicle and the design will be the only one of controversy from BMW until the next 3er- in other words it looks good.

People that understand what this thing is, will actually appreciate it- everyone else will still drive SUVs. I found the rear cargo area to be brilliantly executed and very functional, best of a sedan and a wagon. I completed a full review elsewhere and have tons of photos up on Flickr....

-M
      12-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
mrwilby
Private
Rep

Hi mapezzul,

Thanks for your insight!

How confident are you in the fall launch of xDrive? The dealers are (unsurprisingly) cagey - they want my sale now!

When you say 2k miles, did you mean on a 550 GT or on a regular 5? I was pondering the all wheel steering but I read one bad review of it (I don't remember where I read it though...), but then I also read a good one (AutoGuide) so it's difficult to know for sure. The dealers near here (MA) don't appear to have one with this option.

If BMW had launched it with xDrive it would be a no-brainer for me. We will need a 2nd car and I don't think we can wait a year. Either its going to be a 550i + set of winters, or an X6 or then a CPO'd <something>.

The thing is, we don't really need the size or footprint of the X6 because we have a Q7 for the large family duties. Heck, I don't even really need a 550 GT, but since BMW decided not to launch with a more frugal engine, I'm not exactly overloaded with options...

I agree about the GT in person - it does look much better. But then, since I sit in the car, I don't particularly care (within reason) how the rear looks. The interior is much more important for me, and for that, the BMW delivers in spades.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwilby View Post
Hi mapezzul,

Thanks for your insight!

How confident are you in the fall launch of xDrive? The dealers are (unsurprisingly) cagey - they want my sale now!

When you say 2k miles, did you mean on a 550 GT or on a regular 5? I was pondering the all wheel steering but I read one bad review of it (I don't remember where I read it though...), but then I also read a good one (AutoGuide) so it's difficult to know for sure. The dealers near here (MA) don't appear to have one with this option.

If BMW had launched it with xDrive it would be a no-brainer for me. We will need a 2nd car and I don't think we can wait a year. Either its going to be a 550i + set of winters, or an X6 or then a CPO'd <something>.

The thing is, we don't really need the size or footprint of the X6 because we have a Q7 for the large family duties. Heck, I don't even really need a 550 GT, but since BMW decided not to launch with a more frugal engine, I'm not exactly overloaded with options...

I agree about the GT in person - it does look much better. But then, since I sit in the car, I don't particularly care (within reason) how the rear looks. The interior is much more important for me, and for that, the BMW delivers in spades.
I have driven about 2k miles in the 550i GT. The 535i GT will be here in March, xDrive versions next fall are definite.

The all wheel steering is fantastic, there is nothing wrong with it on the GT or the 7 series. I have been in a 7 with it on the track and it actually provides some additional traction. The launch cars in the US should all have the sports package and Integral Active Steering- so the dealer should have one. I will check on that.

I prefer the GT over the X6 myself from a usability standpoint though the DPC in the X6 is an amazing piece of hardware and greatly improves handling in such a large (tall) vehicle.

The GT interior is also far superior. I still can't understand why BMW opted to not include interior grab handles in the X6, and the standard seats are not all that great.

Like I said, my wife will be getting a 535xDrive GT next fall; she loves it since it is NOT a wagon.

-M
      12-09-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
kar335
Green means GO
Rep
Drives: 2010 550i GT

Went to test drive this car yesterday. This car is HOT!!!! All the ones in the region are sap. black with the ivory interior, which does not appeal to me at all. I knew this going in. I had configured on on line with all the options I wanted prior to the test drive, knowing if I liked it...I would need to order. Well....they checked on the vehicles coming in on the boat and low and behold is the exact car I wanted to order. I should be getting it in a week hopefully.
2008 550i (retired)
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew w/Hemi
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
mrwilby
Private
Rep

sounds sweet! How was your test drive GT specified in general? What options did you go for in the end? Did you manage to get any discount and overall were you happy with the pricing?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

After seeing it in person I would consider one. It looked so much better in person that photos.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #8
Eddie Reed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i GT

My wife and I have a long standing disagreement in what we like in cars. I tend to lean towards bigger cars and comfort with carrying capacity, and she wants to go from zero to 100 MPH right now.

We test drove this car on Tuesday, and both immediately fell in love with it. This car is fantastic and hits middle ground somewhere between soccer mom and I still want to have fun. The visibility in the car is amazing and the comfort is incredible. And as a side note I hit 100 MPH on the short on-ramp, so it's no slouch when it comes to speed.

Dealer found the car we wanted sitting at receiving in NJ (car has decked with every package). We are hoping for delivery next week.

I really think that BMW under estimated the appeal of this car.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
cheaptrick
cheap
Rep
Drives: 335CIC & 35i X6

Eddie that is how I felt about the car. I have a x6 and will trade it for the 335gt when it's out in th spring. I test drove it last week, Great visability, super comfortable seats. Steering effort was perfect and seemed to vary depending on what setting the suspension was in comfort, sport, etc. Nice acceleration. A very modern feeling interior and dash. I just wish they offered light wood like they do in Euorpe so as to make a black interior not so somber. All the pics and demos I have seen have light leather, not my cup of tea. The beige leather they offer is not that hot. I wish they used the saddle color from the 7 series. CAr feels way more "sports" than my x6 which is just a big vehicle. Cheap
      12-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Waiting For New Five Series I Like The All Wheel Drive 550
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #11
Eddie Reed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i GT

cheaptrick - Agree on the comment about the Saddle Color. We are getting white (they call it Ivory) which I am not real thrilled about, but considering other colors available it looked the best.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 03:30 PM   #12
kar335
Green means GO
Rep
Drives: 2010 550i GT

Here are some pictures that the hubs took. We plan to get more..

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335142
2008 550i (retired)
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew w/Hemi
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 07:36 AM   #13
howieR
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i & X5

Anybody planning to order?

Reply to mrWilby: First time on a Forum so don't know if I do this right.
I have a diesel 530d GT on order for delivery in Australia when they are released in March 2010. Took opportunity when in London two weeks ago to visit showroom and check out this car in the 'flesh'. It looks fantastic. We live between Australia and Switzerland. Presently have a 335i Convertible in Australia and before that a 745Li sedan. Convertible too small, too low to the ground for us. We have a X5 twin turbo diesel in Europe, and love it. The GT therefore was the perfect solution for us. After such a good experience with our first BMW Diesel the 530d was the best option. Quieter than a 535i GT and less thirsty than a 550i. We think X6 is ugly, (But not as ugly as a Q7) but like the high seating position and flexibility of GT.
Our order is first taken by BMW Australia we were told by our dealer. We ordered Sophisto Grey with Ivory/Black interior. Saw my first GT on the road today in Klosters Switzerland. Dark colour. Looked great! If you need X drive, I am told it will be available next year in GT also. X5 is amazing machine in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 07:50 AM   #14
howieR
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i & X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Reed View Post
My wife and I have a long standing disagreement in what we like in cars. I tend to lean towards bigger cars and comfort with carrying capacity, and she wants to go from zero to 100 MPH right now.

We test drove this car on Tuesday, and both immediately fell in love with it. This car is fantastic and hits middle ground somewhere between soccer mom and I still want to have fun. The visibility in the car is amazing and the comfort is incredible. And as a side note I hit 100 MPH on the short on-ramp, so it's no slouch when it comes to speed.

Dealer found the car we wanted sitting at receiving in NJ (car has decked with every package). We are hoping for delivery next week.

I really think that BMW under estimated the appeal of this car.
Hi Eddie, Agree that I think this car will make a big impact once people start seeing them on the roads. Having owned a 745Li (2005) which my wife thought was too much of an old man's car, we bought a 335i convertible, but it is too small for me. The GT is the perfect alternative. We also have a X5 twin turbo diesel (2008) which is great. The GT gives the best of all worlds. Practicality, luxury 7 series like interior. etc. We ordered with lots of extras including 4 wheel steering.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 08:52 AM   #15
mrwilby
Private
Rep

It's great to hear these are starting to trickle out into the world!

We decided, after a lot of pondering, to go for the X5 35d instead. For us, it has the xDrive (important, in our view, due to the snowy conditions where we live) and a diesel engine. I just couldn't justify the thirst of the 550i.

As a European who has relocated to USA, those big engine vehicles seem a tad over the top. I'm sure it's great and damn... that thing is fast, but anyway, it just seems a bit excessive for *us* and hence we went with the X5.

If we ever return back to Europe we can take the X5 with us and not worry (quite so much anyway) about the costs of refueling at the rather more pricey European gas pumps.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #16
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwilby View Post
It's great to hear these are starting to trickle out into the world!

We decided, after a lot of pondering, to go for the X5 35d instead. For us, it has the xDrive (important, in our view, due to the snowy conditions where we live) and a diesel engine. I just couldn't justify the thirst of the 550i.

As a European who has relocated to USA, those big engine vehicles seem a tad over the top. I'm sure it's great and damn... that thing is fast, but anyway, it just seems a bit excessive for *us* and hence we went with the X5.

If we ever return back to Europe we can take the X5 with us and not worry (quite so much anyway) about the costs of refueling at the rather more pricey European gas pumps.
X5 35d is a great machine, it is a shame you could not have waited for the LCI this spring or the 535 GT this fall; but in the end you will have a great machine- the only SUV I would ever own!
      01-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #17
mrwilby
Private
Rep

Thanks.

We have the X5 on order, and I did confirm with my sales assistant that I will not take delivery of the "old" X5 if the facelifted model is announced before my vehicle arrives... The price was pretty good though. I would hate to do this to the dealer, but given that the X5 diesels are so in demand I think they'll easily sell the vehicle if I decide to pass.

As I said, if there was a diesel 5gt with xDrive then it would've been a no-brainer.

Maybe next time! :-) Still following this forum though. Just can't get enough of the 5GT interior. It really is great.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #18
frantzy
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i Gran Turismo

Planning to order either the 535xi or 535i GT as soon as they're available - I'm hearing late July availability for the 535i and late October for the xi. My brain says to wait but my heart is arguing!

The past 3 years of owning a 335i have been wonderful - I'm expecting the F07 to be an even better car. With a pre-teen on a hockey travel team, cargo space and long-drive comfort are now vital to me.

The only drawbacks for me are (1) no MT option (2) sifting through relentless posts about how ugly the shape is to some. I think it's a great looking car.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 07:07 AM   #19
nekountze
Rep
Drives: 535i GT 2010, 535xiT 2008

Smile I have ordered 535i GT for ED in late April

We are going to Munich for our second ED experience with pickup on April 28th! 535i GT!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 12:10 AM   #20
Saalih
Rep
Drives: 2011 535GT

Just ordered 535 GT:
Black Sapphire/ Cinnamon Brown
Cam pkg, Sports with 19",Head Up disp, rear Ent, conv pkg, adaptive and more...
April Delivery... can't wait
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 12:50 PM   #21
Blakerx
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

When do you think I should order for ED in August? We were already planning a trip to Germany in august to visit a friend, thought ED would be an awesome addition to the trip. I don't think I can wait that long, august seems like an eternity from now. I'm drivng my wife crazy talking about my soon to be new car.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 08:15 PM   #22
nekountze
Rep
Drives: 535i GT 2010, 535xiT 2008

Smile order earlier for August ED as factory shuts down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakerx View Post
When do you think I should order for ED in August? We were already planning a trip to Germany in august to visit a friend, thought ED would be an awesome addition to the trip. I don't think I can wait that long, august seems like an eternity from now. I'm drivng my wife crazy talking about my soon to be new car.
I believe the factory shuts down for August so early June ordering at the latest should have a car built in July which you could do ED in August. Better check with the dealer on the dates as ED may be shut down also part of August - holiday time in Europe. ED department needs a minumum of 30 days before build date I hear.
Good luck. We are getting a 535i GT using ED April 28th and this will be our second ED in 3 years - and our first at the new WELT = a GREAT experience.
Appreciate 0