E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > E93 change of alloy wheel

12-09-2009, 04:58 AM   #1
Laurent0822
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Cabrio

E93 change of alloy wheel

Hi everyone !!

I will get my 335i soon. However I would like to change the alloy wheel instead of the original one!! Any suggestions for me?? Are those alloy wheel making in Taiwan in good quality and suit for 335i?

Many many thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 05:17 AM   #2
Renus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

No alloy wheel is good that making from Taiwan, if you are driving an E93 335i, you must not save these money for wheel as lighter and stronger wheel will improve your driving pleasure and handling too ^ ^. You better check the forged wheel or famous brand's wheel as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 05:47 AM   #3
BimmerJack
newborn bimmer patriot
Rep
Drives: E92

My suggestion is:

No one knows better than yourself what kind of style you like.
Again, hit the button in this forum. This will give you a spectrum of ideas.
and more's coming...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 06:28 AM   #4
Bimmer /E93
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E93 (Sold), Z4 35i on board

Now, don't go buy an Armani suit and start buying a $20 belts and 3 for 1 socks, etcc... Same goes with your E93 335
BimmerJack is right, No one knows better than yourself what style you like, in terms of design, and Renus is right as well, don't save on your mods, your diamond will start look like a "faux Bijoux" not even a Zirkon one..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 11:02 PM   #5
Laurent0822
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Cabrio

Dear all,
thank you for your suggestions!!!
However I would like to know which brand of wheel are your recommendation!! I will put your valuable recommendation into my consideration!!!!

Oz; BMW brand or RRS etc....??

Thank you so much!!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 11:28 PM   #6
Bimmer /E93
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E93 (Sold), Z4 35i on board

Laurent

As Bimmerjack said, it really goes down to what is your taste.
I can recommend ACS, others can recommend, BBS, DPE forged, someone might prefer to leave it OEM (Little_Croco's wife ) Others would say the Micro CSL are nice, Maybe Cross stella, or even Linea corse...
You know what we mean, there are zillions of reputable brands our there... You might want to rephrase your question and probably say I like this style and this style, do you guys have a preference.. Yet still if I like it black, you might like it in Chrome, another would want to put all kind of Diamond shit on the rims....
Good luck buddy and keep us informed
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 12:23 AM   #7
N52B30
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E92, E70, W204

Laurent> There are also 19 inch OEM wheels which you can select from the following link:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...er/finder.html

Style 199 is the 19 inch version of Style 189 (189's are the standard ones that come with your 335 cabrio). Style 230 is very discreet and elegant. Style 225 is an M-rim, looks rather sporty.

At the end of the day, it depends whether you are looking for elegant or sporty rims; OEM or aftermarket.

I am aware that BMW OEM rims are made in Italy. You can go to tyre shops around HK, some have catalogues of so-called 'imitation' BMW OEM wheels which are also made in Italy. A few tyre shop owners (including a guy whom I've purchased rims from for many years, so I'd say relatively honest compared to the others) have said that they are made in the same factory as the ones you can get at BMW, but at around half the price (ie. BMW might charge $4000 for each rim but these 'imitation' ones can be yours for less than $2000 each) and over $2000 (per tyre) for a decent set of rubber.

With the standard 18 inches that come with your car, I suspect you can get a few thousand dollars for them (between $6000-$9000) if you sell privately.

My personal advice is, if you dont plan on making many exterior mods (ie. M sports kit, front spoilers etc) then stick with more elegant rims such as Style 199 or Style 230 or even Style 311. If you plan to go all the way with visual upgrades, even if Style 225 M rims are not 'individual' enough by all means go for aftermarket rims such as Hartge, i-Forged etc...

...from memory, the E93 335i comes with standard suspension whereas E92 335i has sports suspension... an aftermarket 19 inch rim might look a bit strange because of the wide gap in the wheel arch, so you may need to dump your car an inch or so!!

...I also agree with the other feedback on this thread, if cost comes first then your car might end up being a Mong Kok style modification (my friends call them Mong-kies)... better off leaving your car as it is!!

Oh yes, there are also BMW Performance rims, Style 313...

Finally, no matter what wheel you decide to go for in the end, DONT let the tyre shop owners intimidate you and change your opinion (ie. feed you with BS). Be prepared to walk away and go to another tyre shop if it doesnt feel right!!

Hope this helps...

Last edited by N52B30; 12-11-2009 at 11:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #8
335 Freak
Bimmer Turbo Land
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: White E92 335I Coupe

Hi Laurent,

As of my recommendation, no question ask, I-Forged wheels...... http://iforged.com/us/main.php

This is be/cos I was dreaming for a set of I-Forged and finally, I saved good enough to buy the wheels.... I-Forged is actually customs made wheels and I was waited for my set at around 7 weeks and then, send to HK by the 8 weeks....it was a long time waiting but I think it worth the money when you can design your own wheels to make it as the unique in our Bimmer HK community!! Their customer service + follow up is real nice except the waiting time....Yes, I'm bias when many PPL rather go for HRE at this Forge wheel price level!! After you have the forged wheels, you won't be chasing after the alloy wheels anymore.... it is light and solid likes rock which fits the HK road condition when a set of solid wheels can save your life....

Matthew
Lumma BDK, M3 CF Hood, I-Forged Triumph 19", AP-6pt-360FR, AP-4pt-345RR, M3 CF Lip, ACS CF RFS, CF Grill, JB3 3.0, Stett DV CHG Pipe + DCI + FMIC, NST Pulley, F+R Full M3 Susp Kits, M3 E92 Q-pipes Ex, UR Catless DP, Ohlins C/O, Eibach Sway, M3 Dash Cockpit, CF Wrap Interior, M3 CF Pedals, M5 Shft Knob, LED ATW, OSS Design BlackOut LED Angel Eyes!!!
Appreciate 0