Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > winter wheel advise

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-11-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
solaraxis
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 X5 50i

winter wheel advise

I need your guys opinion. I have a 335i coupe w/ sport package that is due to arrive in the next few weeks. I have from an older car, a set of winter tires which are 235/45 R17. These tires are pretty much new and I would like to continue to use them.

I will be purchasing a set of replica bmw wheels to use with these tires for the winter. They are 17" x 8". What offset do I need?

Also, what do I do about the tire pressure monitoring? Do I have to buy the TPM transmitter that goes in the wheel? If I dont what will happen? I dont mind the TPM system not working, I just dont want it to constantly bother me.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
arbitrage
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe

The canadian coupes don't have the monitors in the wheel, still the old ABS system from the e90 so don't worry about the sensors, only US coupes have the new sensors (and supposedly the 07 e90s don't).

As far as sizing, I can't really help out but I know that the winter tires from tire rack range in offset from 32 to 40??
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
solaraxis
Private
Canada
Rep

Thanks arbitrage. I almost bought the sensors.

Anyone else here have any insight into the offset I will need for my 335i coupe?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2006, 11:00 PM   #4
mindmoxie
Coupe Fanatic
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 Space Grey, Sport

Solaraxis, first off the tires you want to use are not exactly "perfect" fitment for the E92. If you plug in the numbers in the calculator above in the second row (the first row has the default for the sport package actually) you will see that you're off by 1.4%, so your speedometer will read 101kph when you're running 100kph, same for odometer. Correct size is 225/45R17 and I think "acceptable" tolerance is probably around +/- 0.5%. It's up to you on that point - it's not a huge problem but I'm not sure if anyone else has done this and their opinion on it.
As for offset normally you need between +30 and +40 with an 8" width wheel, however it's important to have the vendor verify fitment with the manufacturer because it's not just offset that ensures the wheel will fit, it depends on the way the wheel is made also (it has to clear the calipers, etc.). Be especially careful with a 335i because it has huge brakes and has trouble fitting on some 17x8 wheels. Only the vendor can guarantee it.
Call TireTrends.com in BC, they were quite helpful when I bought my winter package and they set me up with all the correct sizing for my E92.
Good luck
      10-16-2006, 03:10 PM   #5
solaraxis
Private
Canada
Rep

Does anyone here know if they make a steel wheel in a 17"x8" that will fit the 335i coupe? I just want to go with the cheapest wheel possible for the winter. As you may know the winters here in Alberta will kill your beautiful alloys with the rocks and sand on the ground. Just a quick question, would you recommend putting a steel wheel on the 335i coupe? i heard that the steel wheel is not strong enough for a 300hp car, but this is coming from the dealer that is trying to get me to spend over 3G's on their winter wheel package.

also, I was told that the offset is +40mm for a 17" on the 335i coupe. Can anyone confirm that?

Last edited by solaraxis; 10-16-2006 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0