BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-13-2009, 08:24 AM   #1
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Jeep, Ducati & Harley

128 Exhaust (lack of) availability

I have posted the following in the commercial section, in response to (another) exhaust manufacturer saying they don't have anything for the 128. Maddad appears to be an excellent supplier of quality products, so please do not confuse the purpose of this post - I am not knocking anyone, just trying to get an exhaust for my vehicle (other than BMWP). Here it is:

I am also seeking to use the Maddad axleback for my 128, so I'm asking you to divert your attention to our cars for a moment. Wouldn't the only difference be that the 128 will require its 1-piece pipe to be cut and then have a flange installed on the existing pipe, or alternately, to have the flange cut off the axleback and then an adapter pipe section installed with clamps?

The routing of pipe appears to be tha same as 135, but without the bolt-together setup of the 135. Meisterschaft (for instance) lists their axleback applications as 128/135, leading me to believe the setups (between 128 and 135) are very similar. In addition, it may sound a bit rowdier on the 128, since our exhaust note is not being muffled by those turbos the other guys are lugging around!

I think that if you offer a 128 application you will sell a few (including overseas where the N/A cars are more common and taken seriously), and the mods neccesary for you to create a kit seem minimal. I purchased the 128 over the 135 because I prefer the purity of the N/A engine and may want to keep this car for a long, long time and prefer to do without the complexity of turbos. I feel that in normal driving this vehicle is more fun because you actually have to "drive" it, rather than just surfing along in 4th gear on the torque, and as such it offers a greater opportunity to hear the rise and fall of the exhaust note as the car is shifted more often. This makes it more of a "driver's car" IMHO, but of course the aftermarket simply goes where the outright speed is, and I understand. I have spent the cash on lightweight Breyton wheels, installed a Hotchkis front anti-sway bar and BMS Powerbox mod. Obviously, I am a serious driver who wants the most from my car, and there are others here on this forum like me.

I love not only the sound of the Maddad, but mostly the fact that you stress a thorough approach to design, quality, no-drone characteristics, and a reasonable but pleasing sound quality. Please look into this - there's not much to it!

At minimum, please advise if a competent shop should be able to make your axleback work on my 128, in a straightforward manner. Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0