E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > HPFP issue -> RIP 335

12-13-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
alexckma
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: P. Panorama 10, L Gallardo 05

HPFP issue -> RIP 335

Hi guys,

I have had my 3rd HPFP failure with the 2007 335 over the last 1 and a half. It just doesn't fix..., I decided to be rid of the damn thing, and go for a different car. Now the problem is, because the 335 wasn't worth much, I don't want to spend too much on the next car. I am looking at around 350-450 for either a 325 or a 330.

Obviously 330 would be more expensive if new, so I am wondering about the second hand market in HK; i hear that HK second hand cars are cheap, not dirt cheap, but reasonably cheap. But I also know HK is a place full of frauds..., and I don't want to buy a fake BMW.... or with fake parts. Is there any place that sells quality second hand? Mind you, it must be a 330, not a 335, I am tired of the 335.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
F13
CEO
Rep
Drives: F13

Do you guys have any lemon laws out there i.e. laws that protect consumers from defective vehicles?

Current: F13
Previous: E92, E82
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
N52B30
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E92, E70, W204

http://www.bmwhk.com/com/en/usedvehicles/

there's a black 330 E92 for sale at BMW HK (not a big fan of the grey interior though)... should be a safe bet!!

If you want something new, within your budget and dont mind a 4-door, the E90 325i is $459000 and includes iDrive and Satnav.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
alexckma
Lieutenant
Rep

wow swift and (late night) replies, never expected it... but then this is HK...

Anyway, regarding boostedN54: there is no lemon law in HK, and besides the warranty are messed up, they have 2 year warranties here, which it has passed. I am hating the 335 right now... I got that Used from bmwhk (save we don't have CPO over here). So in short, tough luck to be in HK.

To N52B30: i did have a look at that, I went to the dealership and looked at it... the grey interior was the problem, and moreover it was very basic.... as in.. it had no options . I recall it not even having comfort access... which I want... I am planning to spend less on the overall car and add the M package (I am sucker for M stuff). But the grey is a biggy... don't want to rip the seats out...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
N52B30
Private
Hong Kong
Rep

With the E92/93's the problem is that most people just go for either a 323 or 335 in Hong Kong! Also, since your previous car was a 335, a 325 would feel so underpowered compared with what you are used to!!

You might struggle finding a 330 E92/93 from a reputable dealer as they are so rare in the first instance!!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
alexckma
Lieutenant
Rep

it is..... very weird... why do people go for 323? I test drove that 4 years ago and it was... as slow as C240 (MB) which is as slow as... well pretty much you can get (bmw and mb are really heavy cars).... I do see a lot of 323 in random colors as well.... Cheap... but.... I have to get new rims, new paint job... and judging from the price, probably another bare bone car...

any advice? or maybe I will forget about other people in my family and get a Z4 (yeah right...)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #7
N52B30
Private
Hong Kong
Rep

The sole reason why people buy the 323 (E92) in HK (myself included!!) is because the 325 costs $100000 more than the 323 - the only options the 325 has over the 323 are different style rims (both 17 inches), folding mirrors, front parking sensors and sunroof. The price difference does not justify a extra 27 horsepower and it is already an upgrade for my wife who previously drove a 150 horsepower 320i!!

On the other end of the spectrum, people who consider 330/335 are more into performance... and the $90000 difference is money well spent for the extra 33 horsepower (assuming that the HPFP wasnt such a big issue a year or two ago), sport seats, lowered suspension, 18 inch alloys and exhausts on either side.

My current E92 is the 3rd E9x I've purchased in the last 4 years (had a 320i (wife's car) and a 330i in Sydney) - to be honest, I've had enough of the E9x interiors already!! If you get another E9x I'm sure you'll feel the same way too!!

It's difficult giving you further advice at this stage, depends on what you want the car for (family, comfort, luxury or spirited driving)... but for me, I'll be waiting patiently for the F10 (probably a 523i or a 528i) and then say goodbye to my E92!!

Even though this is a BMW forum, I do have one alternative suggestion - the Mercedes W204 C250CGi AMG Sports Edition (1.8 litre turbo with 204 horsepower, 310Nm of torque (impressive) and does 0-100 in 7.5 seconds (a fraction of a second faster than the 325 and same as the 3.0 litre C300), complete with the full AMG sports package) retails for HK$473000. All you need is a sunroof. It has a totally different interior and you would be impressed with its handling (I have a C230 touring with the slower 2.5 litre V6 engine). *From the ZF website:- "the AMG sports package, with its dynamic AMG front apron, side skirts, distinctive AMG rear apron and 17-inch 6-twin-spoke AMG light-alloy wheels with mixed-size tyres (225/45 at the front and 245/40 at the rear). The sports suspension lowered by 15 mm and the speed-sensitive power-assisted sports steering make driving lots more fun. And the front perforated disc brakes and brake callipers with Mercedes-Benz lettering look excitingly sporty – but aren't just visually impressive as they also deliver reassuring deceleration. The petrol-engine models also come with a sports-tuned exhaust system. The AMG sports package creates a special atmosphere inside the car, too: the sports seats provide secure support and, like the rear seats, are upholstered in genuine leather (for HK). The AMG sports package also includes a sporty 3-spoke leather steering wheel featuring shift paddles for gear selection (when fitted in conjunction with an automatic transmission). Brushed stainless-steel sports pedals, black floor mats with AMG lettering, a black roof lining and an aluminium-look shift/selector lever are further highlights of the sporty interior." Apart from it not being a BMW, it satisfies your lust for M sport accessories with the AMG equivalent already factored into the $473K purchase price . The W204 will be around a lot longer than the E90 as it was launched in 2007 - this is also an important factor for purchasing cars in HK cos prices of superseeded model fall dramatically.

If you prefer to stick with Bimmers, how about a 125i coupe with the 3.0 litre engine ($450K)? If you dont mind the looks (at least it's unique in HK) it beats the 325 in terms of performance (0-100 in 7 seconds and more torque than the 325 as it is a 3 litre)... and it seats 4 people (uncomfortably)... but then again, you'll have to fork out extra for the M sport additions!!

One other thing about the 323i - the car you tested 4 yrs ago was probably the 177 horsepower version (on the E90 sedans) which they increased to 190 horses on the coupe in 2006 and then subsequently on the sedans in 2007. It made a slight difference in terms of power but still on the weak side. The Z4 sDrive23i power output increased to 204 horses (and slightly more torque) - that positions it closer to 325 territory.

It's way past my bedtime, anyway, good luck!!

Last edited by N52B30; 12-13-2009 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 12:30 AM   #8
alexckma
Lieutenant
Rep

mmm, it was pass mine as well haha

Anywawy, I have to agree with you on the interior... even the 07 335 interioor is falling apart... and is it just me or does BMW interiors get wrinkly extremely fast compared to lets say... audi and mercedes?

I hear ya on the 323.. and you are probably right in the 177 hp as I... never tried the 323 ever again as it was a disappoint in my view....

Here is my dilemma, I have no car to use otherwise, and dunno if I want to get back into my MTR days... Perhaps it is a good idea to probably save some MORE money and wait for the new cars to roll in. I have tried to convince myself the 125 is great, it's not that bad... what not... but it's uhh just not for me... some people over at 1addict loves it, and I do not oppose that view... just that it's not for me.

As for the merc... I originally drove mercedes years ago (up until 2 years ago) in Canada. Most of the cars purchased by my parents until.. independency kicked in. I wanted a bimmer, but I got a C240 - and later on C280 Avantgarde which, with all due respect, is a lovely great car.. and just before I left Canada, a W204 C300 (which I believe my sister is having a blas with now). but at the back of my mind I always thought about the 3 series.. which I eventually had.. a great drive but huge disappointment due to the HPFP issue... which I was aware about even before I got the 335... maybe you are right in going back to the merc..., but I dunno... I like... coupes... and C isn't a coupe... CLK is not great looking, for some ODD reason they still haven't given it a facelift... looks the same from 7 years ago.. (except minor changes)

Maybe for now (as I am doing already) go back to public transport and wait for a year or two so I can get a better car.....

A note on the 5 series: are you serious? It's pretty big to drive in HK no? I know a lot of people do... but it's... well still a pretty big car
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 02:26 AM   #9
M_M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

omfg, had your 3rd hpfp failure in a month and a half? no kidding buddy? I heard some are on their 3rd in the states but definitely not in such a short time. it really sounds pretty unlikely to me...

just outta curiosity, how long have you had your car and where did u get your hpfps replaced? looks like you have already got rid of your 335i havent you?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 03:37 AM   #10
Renus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Anny symptom to know there is a failure of HFPF in Hong Kong? I have asked a few times from BMWHK that why my rpm's not stable when in idle, and I felt shaking staring from both of my hands even down to my legs, seem every 4th or 5th seconds will has 2 seconds of shaking that I can feel from engine room. I checked with them and they told me never heard about HFPF issue in Hong Kong. But I told them this is the very common symptom in US but they replied me that the production is different from Germany and US, therefore, HFPF failure may not be applied in here.

I love to hear more from you about this case too ^ ^
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 07:58 AM   #11
ec_893
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Sparkling Graphite

Symptom is long crank during cold start of engine. Don't listen to bmwhk, they're just BS'ing you. There're certainly cases of failed fuel pump in HK. Check out this thread below:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renus View Post
Anny symptom to know there is a failure of HFPF in Hong Kong? I have asked a few times from BMWHK that why my rpm's not stable when in idle, and I felt shaking staring from both of my hands even down to my legs, seem every 4th or 5th seconds will has 2 seconds of shaking that I can feel from engine room. I checked with them and they told me never heard about HFPF issue in Hong Kong. But I told them this is the very common symptom in US but they replied me that the production is different from Germany and US, therefore, HFPF failure may not be applied in here.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 09:51 AM   #12
N52B30
Private
Hong Kong
Rep

Alex> I agree with your idea - since you are unsure what car to buy at this stage, I suggest you put your money aside for a year or two until you are sure what sort of car you want.

In the meantime, however (since you dont want to take the MTR), use a small portion of that money, go and get yourself something really fun like a 1998 540i for around $40000-50000 (and allow $20000 for unscheduled maintenance with an 'honest' mechanic), enjoy it and drive it to the ground!! Just get the car inspected by AA before you buy, at least you can find out the general condition of the car and whether it had been involved in a major acident previously. It still works out cheaper than the 1st year depreciation on a new E92 330i!!!

In response to your last post, my main car is an E70 X5 xDrive30i (and hence my username N52B30, which is the powerplant under the bonnet)... so the F10 5 series shouldnt be too big for me!!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
alexckma
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_M View Post
omfg, had your 3rd hpfp failure in a month and a half? no kidding buddy? I heard some are on their 3rd in the states but definitely not in such a short time. it really sounds pretty unlikely to me...

just outta curiosity, how long have you had your car and where did u get your hpfps replaced? looks like you have already got rid of your 335i havent you?
Sorry man, I meant a year and a half, not a month and a half.. yes I already got rid of the bloody car, and i got it second hand last year in september-ish...

As to where I took it, I went back to bmwhk
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 11:51 AM   #14
alexckma
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renus View Post

Definitely BS from the bmw guys. We have the fuel pump HPFP problem as well, they all use the same fuel pump. shaking during idle is fine, it happens all the time... it's pretty regular to have unstable rpms. But it's the shaking and LONG crank, like4-5 seconds? Around there... and the F'ing limp mode that it goes into. But by then it's already completely dead. For me, the long crank is the best indication. I had driven the 335 in Canada before as well (though it wasn't mine, but my friend had it cured "warrantied" so it was fine)

If you suffer from long crank then it's a sign of hell, you will LITERALLY be stranded in the middle of nowhere. happened twice (I tend to drive to the airport for fun, since it's one of the longer motor ways). So if you start to get long cranks then take it to bmw, even if there is no error code, just tell them the hpfp is the problem, and get them to check (given you still have warranty).

Good luck man
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #15
alexckma
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N52B30 View Post
Alex> I agree with your idea - since you are unsure what car to buy at this stage, I suggest you put your money aside for a year or two until you are sure what sort of car you want.

In the meantime, however (since you dont want to take the MTR), use a small portion of that money, go and get yourself something really fun like a 1998 540i for around $40000-50000 (and allow $20000 for unscheduled maintenance with an 'honest' mechanic), enjoy it and drive it to the ground!! Just get the car inspected by AA before you buy, at least you can find out the general condition of the car and whether it had been involved in a major acident previously. It still works out cheaper than the 1st year depreciation on a new E92 330i!!!

In response to your last post, my main car is an E70 X5 xDrive30i (and hence my username N52B30, which is the powerplant under the bonnet)... so the F10 5 series shouldnt be too big for me!!
dude (sorry, dunno your name), i am actually thinking about a 2001 SLK, which is.. actually really damn cheap, like 60000 - 90000 depending on the nick of it. I hate the 2001 slk since it was hailed to be a terrible car (sorry to those who owned or own it). But anyway, I am looking at that or the audi A3 2003, which is around the same price... But I know the resale value is nill for those cars...

As to the X5, mmmmmmm, I am not a huge SUV fan, my parents used to have an ML320 back in 2001, in fact I think they may still have it. But anyway, I just don't like the softness of the wheel, mind you it was a merc, so the steering as you may know is a lot softer than bimmer. But still, in HK, where do you park the bloody car? I can't park, even the 335 at most of the parking spots in Causeway Bay. I can tell ya I am not a superb driver... (coming from those big parking spots from Canada... it is pretty difficult to get a big car in and still manage to walk out of the car... I tried exiting from the sunroof

Anyway, I like the new 5er, but dun think it's a car for me yet... it's too professional for me...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 02:08 AM   #16
superdx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 323i E92 SG

One thing about HK roads is that I don't find the need to have any power at all. I use my car for work, mostly getting my butt to meeting to meeting. That means I'm usually driving during weekdays day time - more often than not I'm just stuck in a pile of cars. On the weekend, there are weekend drivers and those are worse than anything I've seen in North America. I fear the "gold toyota sedans" that have a whole family inside that has a driver that looks nervous.

I'm in the US currently and driving around a lot (all across California), I definitely see a benefit and even a need for a more powerful engine, but in HK? If I press the pedal hard, in about 3s later I'm going to have to brake because there's a wall of traffic in front of me. Or a speed trap. Or a whole bunch of cars that have no room for weaving in and out of.

In Canada and US, I used to love going 160+ km/h on the highways, but in HK there's only one road I can think of where that's even possible, and that's the road to the airport. And that's probably one of the most boring drives in HK, no sights to see and it's darn boring. You can't even stay in the fast lane without getting a ticket!

All that said and done, the motor vehicle registration and other fees (like Autotoll, cleaning services etc.) are all done based on the engine size. There's recurring fees that come with a larger engine, not the one time cost of at the dealership of going for a more powerful powerplant. Even with a 323i, in Sport Mode I feel like I have more than enough power I'm ever going to use in HK.

But I guess if I ever got a China license and started driving up there, a 335i might not be a bad idea. Need the power to avoid all the crazies on the road =.=
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #17
kookieshk
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: AW BMW E82 1M

sorry to hear about your 335i, thats one of the reasons why i went with the 330....love the car, great performance, perfect for the twisty roads in hk...and always love seeing other e92 330i's in hk since there arent that many - say hello if you see a white e92 330i in hk

i suggest you go for the 125i or a 2nd hand 330i....bimmers all the way my friend, thats why you joined this forum hahaha
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 02:49 PM   #18
alexckma
Lieutenant
Rep

thanks for the advice,

I think I am going to wait a while to see if there is a better 330 second hand to show up... otherwise I would just wait until the new 3 series to roll around... that's gonna be years though... dun really know what to do, but I guess it's better to wait than to regret
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 10:58 PM   #19
M_M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexckma View Post
Sorry man, I meant a year and a half, not a month and a half.. yes I already got rid of the bloody car, and i got it second hand last year in september-ish...

As to where I took it, I went back to bmwhk
well but werent u looking for a 335i some months ago?
Appreciate 0