ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
NFexec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 E91; '12 Z4 35i

Changing a Non Sports Pkg Suspension Question

Can a 3.0si WITHOUT sports package be made to handle as if it did? In other words, what changes would need to be made and about what do you think that would cost? (I'm considering buying one without the sports pkg and will probably want it a bit more tight - not harsh, though). Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Doug
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
NFexec
Private First Class
Rep

18 views and no responses?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

The suspension part is easy. Koni shocks + Eibach springs (and get the Rogue Engineering rear-shock mounts, too) will make the Z4 handle better and the ride less harsh than with the sport suspensions. Although the sport package also gives you thicker anti-roll bars.

The sport button, on the regular Z4, is a must have IMO. It tightens the steering and improves throttle sensitivity. The sport button can be retrofitted, but a little troublesome (do a search on the forum). If you're going to buy a Z4, just find one that has the sport package already, and then decide if you need to upgrade the suspensions.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
NFexec
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you for the response. Sounds like I should focus on getting one that has the sports pkg.

Doug
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFexec View Post
Thank you for the response. Sounds like I should focus on getting one that has the sports pkg.

Doug
If prices are similar, sure you should get the Sports Package. Personally I prefer 17" wheels (lighter, less tendency to damage than 18's on curbs or pot holes). Also I knew I was going to upgrade to aftermarket suspension components anyway and so didn't really care about the Sports Package.

One thing you should really decide on is what ride height you want. Aftermarket springs generally are significantly lower than the Sport Package springs - which are in turn 15mm lower than those on non-Sports. I think the ride height of the Sport Z4's is a nice compromise between the non-Sport and the more slammed look on aftermarket Eibach's or H&R's.

My perfect set up would be 17" rims, aftermarket sway bars and shocks, but stock sport package springs. At present I have H&R bars installed but an otherwise stock non-Sports suspension. I like the compliance of the greater spring travel on non-ideal roads (which I encounter pretty frequently), but even with the bars the body roll is still a bit more than I like during hard cornering. So I'm thinking that one of these days I'll get a set of Sport Springs and some Konis to back them up.

I haven't yet adjusted the bars to max stiffness, so this is something I'll try first, but I suspect that maximally stiff sway bars and soft springs/shocks isn't the optimal set up.

Anyway, to summarize: If everything else on the car is to your liking and you can get a good deal then by all means get a non-Sport package Z4 - particularly if you ever drive on rough roads. If you can get an otherwise equivalent Sport Package Z for only a few hundred more, though, you'd be silly not to.

Finally as to the Sport button. Some care about it some don't. Aftermarket replacements that give even more throttle sensitivity control are now available so I wouldn't worry much about it, but again, if you can get a car that already has it for the same price - why not?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
UncleScottie
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si Coupe w/Sport Package

Have you driven both a Sports Package and non-Sports Package equipped car? If not, I would do that first.

Should be easier to find a Sports Package equipped Z4 than one without it. I would have bought a non-Sports Package Z4 if I could have found one at the time of purchase.

If you do go the non-Sports Package route, I would just change the springs, struts, and sway bars. Keep the 17" wheels and put some good none run flat tires on them. The sport button adds nothing to the driving experience IMHO.

Find a non Sports Package Z4 3.0si Coupe in perfect condition with less than 11,000 miles on it, buy it, then trade with me. LOL :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
NFexec
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you two for that input. I have grown a liking to the dark green color on the Z4 and there aren't too many of those out there. I found one that has everything I want including NAV - but no sport pkg. Mileage is acceptable, and price is a little high - but not outrageous. It's a 2007 3.0si with 25K miles for $26K, and appears to be in excellent condition. (Not a CPO). THing is - it's a few hundred miles away and now that winter is setting in, it isn't a good time to get too deeply into this. If it's still available come spring and I can get over there to check it out, I will decide if the non-sport pkg is a deal breaker or not.

BTW... what do you all think of the price?

Doug
Appreciate 0