BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
sk330i
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

SES on after driving thru water

I searched the forum but didn't find any info that helps. Anyway, last week I drove my 04 X3 thru a big pond of rain water on the highway and soon after that the Service Engine Soon light lit up. I bought a "CodeKey" OBD II scanner from Costco and was about to plug it in to the OBD port. However, it seems like that the OBD connection that's right above the hood release latch is not the same shape as the connector on the OBD II scanner. Since I couldn't figure out where or how to plug that in correctly I decided to visit my local AutoZone but the two guys there were just as confused as I am.

Can someone please tell me if I need an adapter in order to plug it in? Also, any idea what could be triggering the SES since I am pretty sure it came on minutes after the car drove thru the pond of rain water. Please help me!!! I want to know what the problem is before I hit the road to Vermont on a ski trip this Saturday.

This is the scanner that I bought.
Code:
http://www.amazon.com/CodeKey-Engine-Diagnostic-Tool-Board/dp/B0025ZHF9W
Edit: Well, I just figured it out. You need to pull the plastic cover off after opening that little door. Tricky engineers!! Anyway, my cheapo codekey scanner gave an "error" instead of spitting out some codes. I went back to my local AutoZone and they scanned it for me with a Actron 9175 scanner.

Last edited by sk330i; 12-15-2009 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 12:50 AM   #2
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Do u know how deep the "pond " was?
U sure it wasn't a lake?
How high did it reach? Read ur manual ? I'm sure Max h2O depth is mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
rs6655
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 X3 (MT)

Cound be almost anything and it's very possible it will reset on it's own after whatever got wet dries out and it goes through a few no fault cycles.

Here is the tool you need to scan BMW's:

http://www.peakeresearch.com/fcx3.htm

Bavarian Autosport sells it too.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
sk330i
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Okay guys, it wasn't a "pond" but a puddle. I am not sure how deep the puddle was but the splashes went higher than my side mirror. Anyway, I tried to get the guy from Autozone to reset the codes (P0171 & P0174 "System too lean") for me but he refused so I took the car to my mechanic and he did it for me.

The car seems to be running just fine. At least I don't feel any difference than before.
Appreciate 0