BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos When will automakers start to listen..

12-17-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

When will automakers start to listen..

To people like me...

I feel like I'm in the vast minority when it comes to my taste in cars..

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm looking for something with specs as follows:

-2 door Coupe
-Rear Wheel Drive
-3000 lbs or under
-Not excessive power, somewhere from 230-280hp, with a useable torque range
-Manual Transmission
-Conventional Steering system (read: not ELECTRIC) with good road feedback
-A decent interior without electrical ninny nannies, though leather seats and a nice fat steering wheel would be nice.
-Priced around $30k

Seriously, is this too much to ask? Are there not enough people like me who just want a decently priced car that is fun to drive?

I feel like the first two categories (RWD, ~3000lbs) automatically eliminates 99% of cars. I'm left with a Corvette Z06 and a bunch of Porsches, which are just too overpriced and overpowered for my tastes.

I'm 23 years old, luckily I take the train to work every day, and have a beater for the weekends. But in a couple of years I will be in the market for a new car, and unfortunately, as of today there is really NOTHING that excites me on the car market.

Is there anyone who feels the same as me?

I feel like the route I'm going to take is the used market, get a car that was made before they started getting ridiculously bloated, and soup it up to meet my needs. But it's sad that I have to resort to going through all that trouble, just to get what I want.

There's gotta be some BMW purists around here that are upset that BMW doesn't make a true driver's car any more... hell, the lightest car they offer is the 135i, at 3400 lbs. Sure, it's got 300hp/tq, but I'd rather have a car at 3000 lbs with less power, that handles better and offers a better all around driving experience.

Lemme know what you think..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/23/r...ubaru-rwd-car/
http://www.ridelust.com/rumors-swirl...l-speed-demon/
      12-17-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
To people like me...

-2 door Coupe
-Rear Wheel Drive
-3000 lbs or under
-Manual Transmission
-A decent interior without electrical ninny nannies, though leather seats and a nice fat steering wheel would be nice.
-Priced around $30k

Seriously, is this too much to ask? Are there not enough people like me who just want a decently priced car that is fun to drive?

I feel like the first two categories (RWD, ~3000lbs) automatically eliminates 99% of cars. I'm left with a Corvette Z06 and a bunch of Porsches, which are just too overpriced and overpowered for my tastes.

I'm 23 years old, luckily I take the train to work every day, and have a beater for the weekends. But in a couple of years I will be in the market for a new car, and unfortunately, as of today there is really NOTHING that excites me on the car market.

I feel like the route I'm going to take is the used market, get a car that was made before they started getting ridiculously bloated, and soup it up to meet my needs. But it's sad that I have to resort to going through all that trouble, just to get what I want.

There's gotta be some BMW purists around here that are upset that BMW doesn't make a true driver's car any more... hell, the lightest car they offer is the 135i, at 3400 lbs. Sure, it's got 300hp/tq, but I'd rather have a car at 3000 lbs with less power, that handles better and offers a better all around driving experience.

I was in the same boat...ordered the car I was 23 in 07 there was nothing on the market to fullfill my needs. I had to get the 135I it's not a bad car...but thinking about it I should have got the 335I(heavier) but at least it has a better resale value then the 1er. I think the M coupe is the closest thing from what we want. I couldnt afford one back then it was about 20K more expensive then my car. Oh yeah and it's N/A and has a high reving engine. The S2K is a good choice but it's a roadster.

The problem is that my 135I feels heavy, runs out of breath past 6000 rpm, has no LSD but it's an amazing daily driver. The car is far from being the 2002 sucessor.

A 3100 lbs 1 series with, Brembo's, LSD (no E-LSD), a nice high reving 2.5 Inline 6 with 250 hp would be my dream car.

Good cars like the Hyundai Genesis are starting to come out but it's kind of late of most of us have grown out the (scene).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
Epik
Awesome & Likes Cookies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M5

Genesis Coupe should be close. Might be slightly heavier.
      12-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Used Lotus or a Z4 Coupe.

But the "decent interior" comment eliminates the Elise/Exige. It's a bare-bones interior.
      12-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
Used Lotus or a Z4 Coupe.

But the "decent interior" comment eliminates the Elise/Exige. It's a bare-bones interior.
Drove the Lotus.....the blackbox(ECU-Recorder) inside the car really turned me down. Notchy shifter Id rather stick with the M Coupe or an S2K with mods . Expensive repairs(bodywise in case of a collision)

Quote:
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 04:12 PM   #7
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

The problem is that cars like that don't sell well. 90% of car buyers will complain about the car having too much road noise (because of lack of insulation to keep weight down). And the lack of an automatic automatically only cuts your potential sales in half (at least). A perfect example is the S2k. It had many of the features you are looking for (except it was a convertible). However, the car was a blast to drive. But only 10-12k we sold each year. Its hard for companies to justify the expense for developing such a car with such low sales prospects.

Its a shame though, almost all "sports cars" are 300lbs overweight.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
1BMW4fun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 X3 2.8, 11 550

Here you go, S260, it wont be around 30K but it has most of what you want.

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #9
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Cant think of anything right now, if I do I'll give you a shout. However, what might be a good idea is to test cars that you would not have previously considered. It's all very well making a list of things you want, but sometimes cars can surprise you in a good way even if it wasn't what you first went out to look for.

Just my .02
      12-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #10
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

993 or 964 Porsche
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #11
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Are there not enough people like me who just want a decently priced car that is fun to drive?
basically yes...you'll find some people that agree with you on this forum but compared to car buyers overall, we're a small minority. And even I would sacrifice some performance for a bit of luxury in a DD. A weekend car would be totally geared towards performance, but a DD is about comfort as well (for me at least)
      12-17-2009, 08:57 PM   #12
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

You'll have to compromise on 1 or 2 of those criteria unless you luck out finding a nice used car
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #13
Epik
Awesome & Likes Cookies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M5

How about 450hp, 2,000lbs?

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/17/r...te-with-ariel/

12-17-2009, 09:33 PM   #14
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

I'll take nav, heated/cooled seats, AFS, keyless start, bluetooth, hard drive for music, iPod adapter, auto wipers, HID's, etc... thank you very much. I wouldn't even consider a car these days that didn't have such features....
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 10:16 PM   #15
EpicE90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 f150

Totally agree. Ive been searching for the past few months on what car to get . Unless you spend about 60k there isn't one decent car out there. Im looking to spend 20-30k on a car and its rediculous that in order to have something that's half decent i have to sacrifice warranty, reliability , etc. I wish VW, would come out with a 2 door coupe with about 300hp rwd
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 02:06 AM   #16
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric View Post
I'll take nav, heated/cooled seats, AFS, keyless start, bluetooth, hard drive for music, iPod adapter, auto wipers, HID's, etc... thank you very much. I wouldn't even consider a car these days that didn't have such features....
I have none of those exepect M-Sport/Sunroof in my 1er and I'm happy. If I want comfort then I just have to sit in my living room my Tv is bigger then any nav so does my computer. I'd rather sit on my couch then in my (sport) seat. For me commuting or driving a car anywhere is like a therapy. I don't need no cd or music I like hearing the exhaust note. Different strokes for different folks. I guess my DD when I'll have kids will be comfy but for now I can commute in an Elise or Lancer Evo with no problem.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 02:07 AM   #17
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicE90 View Post
Totally agree. Ive been searching for the past few months on what car to get . Unless you spend about 60k there isn't one decent car out there. Im looking to spend 20-30k on a car and its rediculous that in order to have something that's half decent i have to sacrifice warranty, reliability , etc. I wish VW, would come out with a 2 door coupe with about 300hp rwd
My solution B5 S4(or UR Quattro)+ MK5-6 GTI...I'm going that way as soon as I can get rid of the 1 series. An E36 M3 down the road could be an other good addition to the stable in order to have my RWD-AWD-FWD stable. I'd rather drive 3 (cheaper-older) cars then driving a brand new E9X M3 or my 135.

For E9X M3 money I can drive a brand new 335d(Too much $ for a DD I'd take an MS3 or GTI) and an E46 M3. Not that I don't like the E9X but I'm just throwin some ideas there.

Sorry I work hard for my money and I'm cheap

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 09:02 AM   #18
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

the toyota/subaru is gonna be good. i think it's gonna pick up where the civic and integra gs-r left off with the import scene.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #19
bdkevoIX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Evo IX Mr

Mazda Rx-8 is the only one that fits your description. But no torque.
What a naive post.
Why would the automaker listen to your need? Those cars don't sell. Much less sub 3000lbs car? I don't think so.
      12-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #20
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post
the toyota/subaru is gonna be good. i think it's gonna pick up where the civic and integra gs-r left off with the import scene.
Apparently people are calling it the new Celica. Taking over from the Scion Tc which also was regarded by some as a Celica replacement.
      12-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #21
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkevoIX View Post
Mazda Rx-8 is the only one that fits your description. But no torque.
What a naive post.
Why would the automaker listen to your need? Those cars don't sell. Much less sub 3000lbs car? I don't think so.
His post reflect what some people want. Your post also applies to the Evo (My friend has one and I didnt buy one because he pulled the trigger before I bought the 1er). I love the Evo-STI I really consider them as 135 competitors but most people will whine about their modest origins and their lack of (fit and finish).

The RX8 is a terrible car..it's a joke. It dies in the winter. Lousy resale value. Slow and overpriced. The 370z is a way better car.

Honda canned all their attractive cars to focus on fuel sipper gone are the S2K,RSX-S,GS-R,Type-R,Prelude the only interesting car is the Civic SI.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #22
dundonrl
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 Cobra

Quote:
To people like me...

-2 door Coupe
-Rear Wheel Drive
-3000 lbs or under
-Manual Transmission
-Priced around $30k

lets see..

2 door coupe = Mustang GT
Rear wheel drive = Mustang GT
3000 lbs = Not Mustang GT (3356 lbs)
230-280 hp = Not Mustang GT (has 300 hp) but definitely useable torque range
manual transmission = Mustang GT
conventional steering system = Mustang GT
decent interior = Mustang GT if you can handle the plastic (I can)
under 30K= Mustang GT (used 09 is dealer priced at 23500)

now lets see 2010 (new cars)

2 door coupe = Mustang GT
RWD = Mustang GT
3000 lbs Not Mustang GT (weights 3401 lbs)
230-280 hp = Not Mustang GT (has 315 hp) but definitely useable torque
manual transmission= Mustang GT
conventional steering = Mustang GT
decent interior = Mustang GT (much better than the 09 model)
under 30k = Mustang GT (base MSRP on a GT is about 27K)
Appreciate 0