Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Question about RFTs&Computer

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-13-2006, 11:21 PM   #1
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Question about RFTs&Computer

So anyways I was driving home today from Davis and I guess it said I got a flat tire... I was like WOW right? cause not like I was driving hard or on any hella bumpy roads or anything but I did accidentally hit some holes on the ground... anyways. so basically it tells me i have a flat (computer does/idrive) and tells me to slow down to around 50... so i go around 55 all the way back... which is okay... but anyways I got off the road at one point to inspect my wheels and they seemed all okay...none of them noticably flat... could the flat warning just mean that i had low pressure in one? i did stop at a gas station to pump my tires with air but i dont have one of those measuring things to tell me what the pressure is... so anyways... could the computer just be wrong? cause i mean even if i go to the dealer and nothing is wrong... and they reset the computer or something... i dont wanna start driving and all of a sudden the comp show i have a flat tire again or something... when i actually do... know what i mean....

any ideas/suggestions? i wonder if bmw service can get me new tire on a saturday asap...

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2006, 11:23 PM   #2
Zshazz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi

You ought to have something to check your tire pressure with, nothing beats a good ole' manual checkover every once in awhile. But in any case, I would be weary driving it. Try to avoid driving that car if possible until you get it checked and fixed if need be.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2006, 01:05 AM   #3
CALIF65GM
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93-35 May08 ED

Garage List
Get a pressure gauge and check it in the morning.

I got that warning the first time that I put air in the tires. I didn't re-initialize the FTM, so the warning went off. I pulled into a gas station, checked all 4-tires and everything was fine after I re-initialized it.

Debadged 330xi ED 11/14/05 Auto/Mystic Blue/Gray leather with Alum/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seats/Alarm. Sold to Carmax on 6/7/08 with 50,624 miles on clock
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2006, 05:30 PM   #4
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

You really REALLY need to invest in a tire gauge. I check mine every 2 weeks which is how I discovered that I have a slow leak in my rear-right. Still have to take it up with the dealer since I have wheel/tire insurance but in my case where the tire only loses 1psi every 3 or so days, the computer will not register this is a problem. At one point I had 32 in each of the front, 36 in my rear-left and 31 in the rear-right but it happened so slowly that it didn't trigger an alarm.

Also RFT's look surprisingly well-inflated with very little pressure left in them so unlike conventional tires, the visual test (which is never a good idea either way) doesn't apply.

I would do what CALIF65GM recommended: get a gauge, set all the proper pressures, re-initialize the FTM and check it again with the gauge the next day.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0