ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
elude
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Do I need to Bleed Brakes?

Guys,

I just did a brake-pad change (for the first-time) on all corners with some Akebono Ceramic pads, and noticed that there is more "play" in depressing the brake pedal. It doesn't seem to have the "sensitive bite" that it had before changing pads.

I'm assuming I need to bleed the brakes? The brake fluid in my lines is brand new from the dealer about 2K miles ago, and I really don't see the necessity in completely flushing and bleeding out the brakes.

Any input helps, and thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
1st_Knight
'Entwicklung 85 - Zukunft4'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 SMG DINAN S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elude View Post
Guys,

I just did a brake-pad change (for the first-time) on all corners with some Akebono Ceramic pads, and noticed that there is more "play" in depressing the brake pedal. It doesn't seem to have the "sensitive bite" that it had before changing pads.

I'm assuming I need to bleed the brakes? The brake fluid in my lines is brand new from the dealer about 2K miles ago, and I really don't see the necessity in completely flushing and bleeding out the brakes.

Son, if the dealership already serviced the brakes. IMHO, I am sure that you do not need to bleed the brakes. Just curious, have you check the brake reservoir level?

BTW, I just had the brakes redone on X3, and did not have them bled and there bite is still good. It may not be an M, but the bite is still good.

Also, check out this link...

http://www.garageboy.com/bmw/bleeder.html

Last edited by 1st_Knight; 12-23-2009 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elude View Post
Guys,
Did you open the bleeder valves in order to compress the caliper pistons? If you did shame on you as that is a good way to introduce air into your brake system. If, on the other hand, you compressed the caliper pistons with a C-clamp or a compression tool or with your fingers then your problem is most likely that the new pads are not fully bedded. You need to get the rotors properly coated with the new pad material. Go to StopTech http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...contents.shtml
or Zeckhausen http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Appreciate 0