E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > GPS options

12-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
superdx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 323i E92 SG

GPS options

I've been using a MapKing running on Symbian (Nokia E71) for awhile now, getting really sick of it. The routing function is aggravating and even with AGPS it loses position a lot and I spent many anxious seconds waiting for it to recalculate.

I was in the US recently and spent two weeks with a Garmin device, it was fantastic, we never got lost.

I just did some Google and tried to see if any of the TomTom or Garmin devices would work in HK, and I did find that TomTom even has a navigation app sepcifically for HK! One of the comments in the App Store was that it didn't have any POIs, just street names and that's a little weird.

Anyone have the Garmin HK map, and does it have POIs?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
cool
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E90 - Monte.Blue/Black/Alum

hmm i hear TOMTOM do NOT have chinese display ? .... i cant say for sure since i dont have. Can it display chinese street names and the POI ?
      12-27-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
superdx
Private First Class
Rep

I downloaded and bought Sygic over the weekend, it's not bad. The routing function is a little weird over in HK (one route plan had me turning in several circles on the same street...) and the accuracy is a little off, and also a little slow. But still definitely a ton better than MapKing.

Would love to see TomTom in action though, is there a free trial?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 03:06 AM   #4
superdx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesik_alien View Post
You have to bear in mind that SatNav in HK is generally worse than other countries e.g. USA, Europe etc. because we are surrounded by high rise. You will tend to lose signal, accuracy little off and slow especially if you live on HK side. Its not due to the system or application you are using but the fact that your GPS reception is weaker.
Yeah no doubt. I have a data only SIM card just so I can get AGPS to work. I tend to go to a lot of office buildings that aren't easily accessible, thus the need for GPS. I'm really tempted to throw down some extra money and see if TomTom or Sygic is better.
Appreciate 0