E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is it just me?? Paranoid!

08-15-2005, 11:53 PM   #1
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Is it just me?? Paranoid!

Ok im sure all of you read my post about my trip, and the huge f-ing bump my BF hit on the way up..

It wasnt a pot hole, it was asphalt that was bunched together and lifted.. so basically a curb lol... Kinda got an idea of what i mean? Not a hole but the opposite.

Anyway- when it happened, he jsut said oh the alignment is off but im sure its fine. Well he doesnt know my baby like i do... and once i started driving, i realized how jacked up it is. I HATE the way my car drives and im SO SAD.. It used to be solid, smooth.. now its jerky and all over the place. My alignment is real bad, if i let go of the steering wheel im basically on the right hand shoulder of the freeway. I have an appt tomorrow morning for the service. I thought it would be free under warranty but i found out from my salesman that its not covered, since it is considered an accident by us.

So.. now my bf and i are fighting about the finances. I think he should pay for it cause he was the one driving, and he was the one who tried passing all the cars. He says he didnt see it and it could have happened to me. (I dont think so.. but.. whatever). He says we should spilt the cost. I was sitting in the passenger seat, what did i do? What do you all think of this situation? I see his point.. he didnt know there was screwed up pavement.. BUT... he was the driver and its my car. Opinions?

Ok and now im super sad and paranoid cause i feel like my car is tainted now. I know its jacked up and it has to be fixed, but i feel like its not the same anymore. I really dont like the way it drives, and that was 1 of the reasons i bought this car. Could it just be me? I feel like once its fixed, it still wont be the same... I dont know what 2 do. its a brand new car, and its going to have to be fixed again. And who knows how much and what its going to be like when it gets finished? Do you all think it will be the same, or it will still have the effect of the accident. I dont know if i even want the car if its going to drive like this... Help.. im sad......
      08-16-2005, 12:06 AM   #2
icedragon
guardian of ice and snow
Rep
Drives: 128i, 325i

Garage List
06 325xi  [0.00]
A gentleman would admit his fault and pay.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 12:08 AM   #3
blueStreak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 550i

Can't tell you how to settle the finanaces with the BF but I think you're too worked up about the way it's going to drive after the alignment. There are a few shops in SD that have Hunter alignement machines. I've personally used North Coast Alignment in Solana Beach and they do a good job. It's not cheap but you get top quality.

I didn't read your post about the hit your car took but unless something got bent, you should be fine after an alignment.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 12:10 AM   #4
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueStreak
Can't tell you how to settle the finanaces with the BF but I think you're too worked up about the way it's going to drive after the alignment. There are a few shops in SD that have Hunter alignement machines. I've personally used North Coast Alignment in Solana Beach and they do a good job. It's not cheap but you get top quality.

I didn't read your post about the hit your car took but unless something got bent, you should be fine after an alignment.
Im taking it to the dealer. Im sorry if im being dramatic, but i am just sad that something had to happen so soon...I havent even broken it in yet...
      08-16-2005, 12:18 AM   #5
blueStreak
Private First Class
Rep

I understand your feeling...been there, done that. From experience, I doubt you have that much to worry about.

Which dealer are you taking it to and how much are they charging? The cool thing about good alignment shops is you get to stand there and watch them and question them about everything. The guys at North Coast also adjusted my alignment to my exact request instead of just making sure everyrthing is ok by book specs. Checking against book specs can still result in less than optimal handling characteristics while still being in spec.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 12:18 AM   #6
AC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: SG 330i

That's the same bump I tried to tell you about. Must apologize for my poor description the last time. There were 3 of them on my last trip there, and even after jamming on the brakes, it still felt really bad on the car. My friend in another car got his mud flaps torn which scrapped his new tires.

As far as alignment, I'm sure it will work as fine as before once it's fixed. As always, its the mental part that's harder to accept. I usually just try to not think about it...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 12:21 AM   #7
blueStreak
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
That's the same bump I tried to tell you about.
Ok, I'm curious now. Where're the bumps?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 12:26 AM   #8
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Im taking it to BMW of san diego.. i have no idea how much it will be.
      08-16-2005, 12:32 AM   #9
AC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Ok, I'm curious now. Where're the bumps?
Can't remember the exact locations but it's after Barstow (if you driving from SD). It's some sort of construction thing and the bumps are from the irregular road paving as it approaches a small bridge. Hard to describe, but it's like the roads are re-paved except for a small 1-2 foot section on a bridge. So as you drive through it, you'll drop like 2 inches and go back up 2 inches. Very unconfortable...

Will be taking the same route in 2 weeks.... so I'll keep a look out and report back... Unfortunately, I won't be able to do it in my E90....
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 12:35 AM   #10
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
Can't remember the exact locations but it's after Barstow (if you driving from SD). It's some sort of construction thing and the bumps are from the irregular road paving as it approaches a small bridge. Hard to describe, but it's like the roads are re-paved except for a small 1-2 foot section on a bridge. So as you drive through it, you'll drop like 2 inches and go back up 2 inches. Very unconfortable...

Will be taking the same route in 2 weeks.... so I'll keep a look out and report back... Unfortunately, I won't be able to do it in my E90....
Not unfortunately.. more like fortunately. You wont have the risk of screwing your car up. I knew we should have taken my bf's car.. he has a 02 F150.. he could handle those bumps.
Ours happened right after victorville.. on the way to barstow. But i know exactly where the ones you're talking about. It happens every 1/4 mile or so..
      08-16-2005, 12:38 AM   #11
blueStreak
Private First Class
Rep

Here's my unsolicited advice

If you care at all about your car, stay away from BMW of SD. I've never heard of anything good regarding service from that dealer. I won't repeat things I've heard about them because it's just hearsay but there are enough stories floating around that I won't chance it.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 12:39 AM   #12
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Here's my unsolicited advice

If you care at all about your car, stay away from BMW of SD. I've never heard of anything good regarding service from that dealer. I won't repeat things I've heard about them because it's just hearsay but there are enough stories floating around that I won't chance it.

Too late.. i had an appt for aug 23rd, that was the soonest they had. but my salesman was able to get me in tomorrow morning.
      08-16-2005, 12:41 AM   #13
blueStreak
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
Hard to describe, but it's like the roads are re-paved except for a small 1-2 foot section on a bridge. So as you drive through it, you'll drop like 2 inches and go back up 2 inches. Very unconfortable...
About a year and a half ago, there was some construction on PCH between Monterey and San Simeon. I was so thankful to not have put on my 19" rims yet because I know I would have bent them. As it was, the stock 18s held up well but man, what a hit.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 12:43 AM   #14
marcus330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6spd

Hey.....that's a tough call....but I would say you should hopefully agree to split the cost. It's not like he borrowed the car and took it out on a joy ride without you. He was driving the both of you to help out with the tedious drive and give you a rest. I say 50:50. Some people I know would just say "hey, it's your car...you pay for it'. Then there's always the whole bf thing...I mean you're already going to fight over money and your not even engaged?

Realtor Mobile: 6spd / Sport / Prem / Navi / ED 3-30-06
73 3.0s/84 528e/90 525i/97 M3 4dr/99 M3 Conv/2001 330i/2004 545i ED/2006 330i ED June 05
You're in control...is there anywhere you want to go ? -------------------------
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 12:43 AM   #15
Intuition
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i AW

Most BMW dealers are really nice but they do little for your car sometimes and charge you alot of money.

Hopefully you have a better experience but I had to go through like 7 different mechanics before I found one that did the real magic.

Last edited by Intuition; 08-16-2005 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: oops
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 12:47 AM   #16
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus330i
Hey.....that's a tough call....but I would say you should hopefully agree to split the cost. It's not like he borrowed the car and took it out on a joy ride without you. He was driving the both of you to help out with the tedious drive and give you a rest. I say 50:50. Some people I know would just say "hey, it's your car...you pay for it'. Then there's always the whole bf thing...I mean you're already going to fight over money and your not even engaged?
I have always been very independent. I pay my own way, and always have. When he offers, then of course i let him. But he has it easy with me, i never demand he pay for anything.
But i am just putting me in his shoes.. if i screwed up his car, i would be obligated to pay even if i was taking him somewhere. But if this is going to cause a fight, then forget it. I rather just pay and forget about it. Im just talking about the pure principle of the situation.
      08-16-2005, 12:48 AM   #17
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Hey Bella,

By letting your service guy know EXACTLY what happened, he should be very mindful about looking for anything that may be abnormal such as a bent rod or wheel etc.

See if you can go for a drive together, you first half way then him and try as best you can to show him what you feel is not right any longer. Then he can have a feel of the steering/pulling etc.

Hopefully together you will be able to pinpoint the problem. Ask him to keep you informed of his findings throughout the day.

You need to be calm and have the service guy do his job as best he can. Hopefully it is not too big a deal and you will be back in your wonderful, smooth driving e90 pretty much fuss free.

Remember that your BF never intended to run the car over the lump of asphalt. Perhaps you could try to complain to the municipality that covers the suburb or area of the poor road condition or a road authority that may be responsible for road conditions. You may be able to look to one of them for financial compensation perhaps.

Wishing you the best for having your car repaired back to as new condition.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 12:56 AM   #18
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Relationships are more important than $ or cars. Cars can be fixed, good as new. Insurance should cover some of the expenses, depending on cost and your deductible. Someone wants to drive your car, they should take responsibility for their actions. Relationships vary; ask yourself if you had been driving his truck and suffered the same damages, what would you do.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 01:08 AM   #19
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

David has brought up a very good point.

Bella, you should go back to that same road and take a picture of that bump that you (your bf) hit. Safely of course, from the side of the road if necessary. Do it quick just in case it gets fixed by previous complaints from other people. Then phone up the local municipality and ask for the dept that takes care of road works explaining your situation. You can even send the photo in to them. You would be surprised, but many people have had good compensation for any allignment problems, wheel/tire damage, etc. due to damage from poor road conditions.

Oh, and don't worry about the ride... the mechanics can fix your baby back to its previous glory.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 01:12 AM   #20
AC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw
Not unfortunately.. more like fortunately. You wont have the risk of screwing your car up. I knew we should have taken my bf's car.. he has a 02 F150.. he could handle those bumps.
Ours happened right after victorville.. on the way to barstow. But i know exactly where the ones you're talking about. It happens every 1/4 mile or so..
You're probably right It's more like fortunately. Thing is I have to face that stretch of road sooner or later, unless I start flying to Vegas instead...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 01:51 AM   #21
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
I would find a new boyfriend...like NOW. "...well if you were driving..." but you were not driving. He could play the what if games all night! BTW, it takes a special kind of guy to play these games with his GF. Maybe I'm old fashioned in my thoughts about how to treat your GF, but this could be a peak at the bad things that could come your way.

Regarding the car, I know what you mean about it not being the same. But as long as any bent/broken parts get replaced by qualified people, you will be fine. Frame damage and such are the real bad ones that remind you daily that it's not ever going to be the same.

Good luck!
Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 03:21 AM   #22
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Let me get this straight: Heīs a boy, youīre a girl, and heīs not paying up for his accident damage on your car?

Simple: No makin whoopiie till he pays (and brings you some flowers for your trouble).

Donīt worry, itīll be less than a week...