E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Remote control (Keyfob) trouble. Help!!

08-16-2005, 04:43 PM   #1
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
Remote control (Keyfob) trouble. Help!!

- I have Comfort Access (CA), and it works 100% all the time.
- The buttons on my main Remote Control have stopped working. I can't lock or unlock doors & boot/trunk using buttons. I seldom use the buttons, but occassionally I do test them... and they have been working all along.
- I've been using the main key only, since delivery.

Yesterday I unlocked the car using CA, and I wanted to open the rear door to put something in the back seat, so I pressed the button on the Remote control and nothing happened. I just gave up and went inside the car and unlocked using the button in the dash. When I got home, I decided to lock the car using the Remote control. Nothing happened again. I was forced to lock it through CA.

This got me worried, so I fetched the spare key and tested it. It locks and unlocks doors & boot/trunk as expected. CA works fine on the spare key too.

I did the same test this evening, and the spare key works fine(CA and buttons). The main key still works on CA mode, but the buttons are still not cooperating.

This tells me that there is nothing wrong with the car itself, but something is wrong with the main Remote Control.

The battery can't be dead because CA works perfectly all the time, right? There is no warning in the car about the Remote Control battery either.

Note that I have not dropped the Remote control nor damaged it in any way. I hang it in my neck through a lanyard all the time, so there is no danger of dropping it.

I will take the key back to the dealer when I get time, but I just think this is an interesting problem. The dealer will most likely just replace the Remote Control and telll me that it's faulty. However, I'm interested in understanding the root cause of this problem, so that I can understand my car better.

What could possibly be wrong with my main key? Any ideas or suggestions?
E90 330i 6MT|Space Grey|Red Brown|Alumin|Sunroof|Voice Control|Logic 7|Xenon|Prof-Navigation|Storage Pack|Luggage Pack|Extended Lights|Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors|Climate Comf. w/screen|M-Sport Pack|Exclusive Pack|Innovations Pack|Alumin Pedals|CF Splitters|Delivered:19 March 2010
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 04:47 PM   #2
Kao BMW
iLOVE90
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Try inserting the the main key in the ignition slot and drive around. Let us know.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 04:53 PM   #3
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kao BMW
Try inserting the the main key in the ignition slot and drive around. Let us know.
Thanks, I will try that Wednesday morning. I will report back Wednesday evening (my local time)
E90 330i 6MT|Space Grey|Red Brown|Alumin|Sunroof|Voice Control|Logic 7|Xenon|Prof-Navigation|Storage Pack|Luggage Pack|Extended Lights|Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors|Climate Comf. w/screen|M-Sport Pack|Exclusive Pack|Innovations Pack|Alumin Pedals|CF Splitters|Delivered:19 March 2010
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 04:57 PM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Take the battery out of the remote and leave it out for a minute or so and then put it back
Maybe this could reset something in the remote

Else maybe the dealer has to reteach the remote to the car, or worst case replace your remote

Keep us informed
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 05:16 PM   #5
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Take the battery out of the remote and leave it out for a minute or so and then put it back
Maybe this could reset something in the remote

Else maybe the dealer has to reteach the remote to the car, or worst case replace your remote

Keep us informed
I took out the battery for about 4 minutes, and replaced it afterwards. Went out to the car, and I still can't open using buttons . CA still works as before.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 05:31 PM   #6
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Kao BMW, thanks, your suggestion did the trick, and I didn't even have to drive around:

1. I put the key in the ignition slot.
2. Started the engine.
3. Moved forward about 30cm inside my garage, and then back again.
4. Switched off engine.
5. Went out of the car and closed the drivers door.
6. Tested locking an unlocking... and I can lock & unlock doors. I can unlock the boot/trunk as well.

Everything is back to normal now

Kao BMW & E90Fleet, thanks for your prompt suggestions. I really appreciate it.

You guys are the best Thanks a million. You've saved me from the annoyance of making an appointment with the dealer. I only want to visit them for service, not for problems.

Now that this problem has been resolved, maybe we can look closely at the solution, and probably we can identify the root cause.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 05:37 PM   #7
Kao BMW
iLOVE90
Rep

Great!

The fob probably just needed to register with the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 05:40 PM   #8
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Great!

The fob probably just needed to register with the car.
It's a bit strange because I had never taken the battery out prior to experiencing this problem... so why would it want to re-register with the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 05:50 PM   #9
Kao BMW
iLOVE90
Rep

it's just one of those technology glitches that happen here and there to electronics these days... it's just like when you have to restart your laptop because somethings not right, then when it's restarted it's fresh and good to go. yea? nea?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 05:57 PM   #10
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
it's just one of those technology glitches that happen here and there to electronics these days... it's just like when you have to restart your laptop because somethings not right, then when it's restarted it's fresh and good to go. yea? nea?
You are right... the nice little gadgets that are found in our cars mean that our cars are a lot like computers these days...

Ah well, I'm used to rebooting my PC when it gets stuck, so this is not as annoying. The issue is that I know exactly what to do when a PC misbehaves, but with a car, it's not so simple to "reboot" or "reset".
Appreciate 0