E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Internet on Connected drive

01-06-2010, 08:02 AM   #1
ECBMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Metallic Grey M Sport

Internet on Connected drive

I know this is available in Germany but is it possible for those with BMW connected drive (I think with the LCI system) to have the internet in full? The hardware seems the same? http://www.bmwhk.com/com/en/owners/n...rinternet.html
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Works on mine, but is very basic.
      01-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
ECBMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Metallic Grey M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
Works on mine, but is very basic.
I think the basic works on mine too (RSS, Google search etc) but wondering if anyone knows how to get the full feature?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECBMW View Post
I think the basic works on mine too (RSS, Google search etc) but wondering if anyone knows how to get the full feature?
I get the basic shit.

Put a search in the other day for 'Butt Plug' and it found me an Adult Superstore.

Clever.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECBMW View Post
I know this is available in Germany but is it possible for those with BMW connected drive (I think with the LCI system) to have the internet in full? The hardware seems the same? http://www.bmwhk.com/com/en/owners/n...rinternet.html
Bit of an odd situation really.

The car basically has a built in GSM phone, which must belong to me as I bought it, but BMW seem to control both the simcard and the number.

So .. the 'phone' can only call BMW assist and it can only pick up their version of the internet.

I reckon that the hardware will be the same as for other countries, so if there were a way to 'jailbreak' the BMW assist 'phone' you would (in theory) be able to connect to vodafone etc and get a proper internet service.

Does anyone know if there is actually a simcard stashed away somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Given the invention of the iPhone & 3G etc., the idea of using a car for internet browsing seems a bit pointless doesn't it?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Nver used it.
      01-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Does anyone know if there is actually a simcard stashed away somewhere?
On an X6 it is hidden away in a TCU 'MOST' module in the boot - I guess the E9x series would be similar?

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=35

Others have tried swapping SIM cards but to no avail - BMW probably buy 'cheap' airtime off the network provider. They will have lots of active numbers being used at any one time, but each one using a relatively tiny amount of data and network bandwidth. I would be interested to find out what network BMW are contracted too in the UK. That X6 in the link I posted had a T-mobile SIM installed but that was in Germany. Not sure a T mobile SIM would do much good over here, especially in an emergency critical situation!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

I guess that the problem is that we have no way of getting the 'phone' to do anything different to the current arrangement.

So .. if we could get it to connect to vodafone, it would still only be able to dial BMW assist or pick up the telegraph RSS news feed.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
I guess that the problem is that we have no way of getting the 'phone' to do anything different to the current arrangement.

So .. if we could get it to connect to vodafone, it would still only be able to dial BMW assist or pick up the telegraph RSS news feed.
yes, it is like having a mobile phone pre-programmed with firmware that only allows very limited control and calls.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #11
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
On an X6 it is hidden away in a TCU 'MOST' module in the boot - I guess the E9x series would be similar?

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=35

Others have tried swapping SIM cards but to no avail - BMW probably buy 'cheap' airtime off the network provider. They will have lots of active numbers being used at any one time, but each one using a relatively tiny amount of data and network bandwidth. I would be interested to find out what network BMW are contracted too in the UK. That X6 in the link I posted had a T-mobile SIM installed but that was in Germany. Not sure a T mobile SIM would do much good over here, especially in an emergency critical situation!
Pretty sure its O2.
Appreciate 0