BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) F1 ticket purchase question

01-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
F1 ticket purchase question

Im planning on going to the Canadian Grand prix in June with my dad. Looking for info from anyone who has attended an F1 race.

For grandstand tickets, do you get a specific seat number, or is it first come first serve seating?

Any other info on ticket or F1 race experiences would be great since this will be my first F1 race, and my dads first since the 70's.

Thanks!
      01-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
pavelitto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Performance

In monza italy the stands are long benches with numbers so you actually don't have individual seat but you know where to seat. (not the main start straight)
Make sure you have ear plugs because of the noise- not pleasant after couple of laps
      01-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Been to many F1 races in Europe. Seats are sold by the grandstand section and by seat. Usually gold, silver, and bronze sections based on the quality of the viewpoint. Start/finish line is expensive. As for Canada, lots of action in the high speed braking zone as they enter the chicane which leads to the start/finish line. Many drivers will clip the wall of shame as they transition from right to left. Make sure you have a TV view.
      01-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Went to Indy in 03 and 06 and there are specific seat numbers for each ticket purchased.
      01-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Do you need passports?
      01-11-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

I went to the Istanbul GP with my parents last year. We were at the main straight. Seats were numbered. I picked seats toward the end of the straight and that turned out to be a good choice IMO since we could hear (and FEEL) the cars braking and downshifting. No words can describe the sensation. Simply amazing. It was also cool to see the drivers throwing the cars into the first turn after severe braking. You also get shade at the mainstand (and at some of the other stands depending on the curcuit I guess), and that's nice mid-summer--especially when you are with your parents who are in their 70s (mine are). There will be other races before the GP, so you'll be out there for a long time if you want to enjoy the whole day, and the elements can get in the way. Be prepeared. Also, pick a position that provides a good view of one of the digital screens--you want to see what's happening elsewhere on the track. I might actually make it to the Canadian GP this year. It would be cool if the Boston BMW CCA chapter were to schedule the Mt. Tremblant event right after or before the GP--I could avoid multiple Canadian trips and arrive in full force with the track car on the trailer and pretend to be a race car driver!
      01-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #7
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I picked seats toward the end of the straight and that turned out to be a good choice IMO since we could hear (and FEEL) the cars braking and downshifting. No words can describe the sensation.
The word I always use is violent. I was at Spa when Schumi won his 7th title (lost the race to Kimi). I was in the braking zone of Les Fagnes corner (turn 8 as I remember). Cars would go from wide open throttle around the near 180 degree downhill turn 7 and right in front on my seat would brake hard while downshifting then immediately pin the throttle. Back then you'd hear the cars bouncing off the traction control rev limiter until full grip. Loud as hell. Sounded like a face paced one-armed drummer with traction control kicked in.
      01-11-2010, 11:29 PM   #8
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
The word I always use is violent. I was at Spa when Schumi won his 7th title (lost the race to Kimi). I was in the braking zone of Les Fagnes corner (turn 8 as I remember). Cars would go from wide open throttle around the near 180 degree downhill turn 7 and right in front on my seat would brake hard while downshifting then immediately pin the throttle. Back then you'd hear the cars bouncing off the traction control rev limiter until full grip. Loud as hell. Sounded like a face paced one-armed drummer with traction control kicked in.
The "cracking" sounds made me feel like several machine guns were being fired at us and I had to resist the urge to keep my head down to dodge the bullets.
      01-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Yes, you will have seat / row numbers. Been to Canada three times for the F1. Always a great time. Make sure you visit Crecent street a few times. Very lively and fun. Bands, bars, women, entertainment, cars on display, etc. I describe it as the Mardi Gras of Motorsport = FUN !!!!

Try to get seats down in the 180 degree turn. Grand Stands #21, #15, or #24. Very intense seeing them come hauling a$$ into the turn......heavy braking till the rotors glow, then full throttle acceleration outta there. Wicked. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Yes the hairpin is a great area... lots of passing but very slow area... great for pictures.

The Senna Curves right after the start will give you the most view of the track, since you can see the start/finish line, and lots of action in the curves...

All seats are numbered and reserved. In Montreal we tend to go all three days... so the stands are full everyday. Not like anywhere else.

So three streets to visit during GP weekend... Crescent... Peel ... St-Laurent
Everything happens there.

You will definately have a blast.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #11
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
... I might actually make it to the Canadian GP this year. It would be cool if the Boston BMW CCA chapter were to schedule the Mt. Tremblant event right after or before the GP--I could avoid multiple Canadian trips and arrive in full force with the track car on the trailer and pretend to be a race car driver!
Other groups plan events at Mt-Tremblant circuit... and BMW CC Quebec will most definately accept your BMW Boston membership.

If you want to check out events in the North East of Canada... stay tuned to this link.. it will be updated as soon as more info comes up..

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324384
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #12
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Yes, you will have seat / row numbers. Been to Canada three times for the F1. Always a great time. Make sure you visit Crecent street a few times. Very lively and fun. Bands, bars, women, entertainment, cars on display, etc. I describe it as the Mardi Gras of Motorsport = FUN !!!!

Try to get seats down in the 180 degree turn. Grand Stands #21, #15, or #24. Very intense seeing them come hauling a$$ into the turn......heavy braking till the rotors glow, then full throttle acceleration outta there. Wicked. Enjoy.
EXACTLY !!! The hairpin is the best because the best part of the show is the braking of these cars... They come come behind you at 300KM/H and brake all the way to 60-80 KM/H (200MPH down to 40) only they don't start their braking until they are past the 100Meter sign, and every single time you are thinking there is no way that car will make that turn !! but they do :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
If you want to check out events in the North East of Canada... stay tuned to this link.. it will be updated as soon as more info comes up..

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324384
Thanks.
      01-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #14
Formel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Went to Indy several times...reserved at least as far as "Penthouse" seats go...although after my first year...we simply sat in the infield by the end of the back straight (SHELL Turn). Best seats in the house. FYI, attending the race is an event, not a viewing. Best coverage to watch is at home in front of a 70" WEGA. However, you miss an incredible energy obviously. You got to go at least once...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 09:57 PM   #15
ray6591
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 - 530xi

http://www.formulatours.com/GP_Packa...randPrixCanada

Here is a site that has some information on the Montreal GP..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 08:06 AM   #16
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Also interested in going to Canada this year. Thanks for the info.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #17
Stanky19
Friends don't let friends early apex!
United_States
Rep
Drives: "The Turbo Schnitzel"

Garage List
2007 E92 335I  [0.00]
going to the gp in montreal as well! I raced on that circuit last season, it's even more intimidating than it looks from behind the wheel!
      01-14-2010, 08:05 AM   #18
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
Sweet thanks for all the info guys!

I got pumped reading your experiences at the F1 races! I've been to all other big motor sport races but haven't been to a F1 race yet so decided it is time to do it and experience it with my dad who got me into racing and cars. But the hairpinn is deff the spot we are checking out grandstands for. Just picked up applications for the passports/cards.

Do they accept the american dollar? I know Niagara falls did when I went up a few yrs back.
      01-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #19
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKV122 View Post
Sweet thanks for all the info guys!

I got pumped reading your experiences at the F1 races! I've been to all other big motor sport races but haven't been to a F1 race yet so decided it is time to do it and experience it with my dad who got me into racing and cars. But the hairpinn is deff the spot we are checking out grandstands for. Just picked up applications for the passports/cards.

Do they accept the american dollar? I know Niagara falls did when I went up a few yrs back.
Not everywhere... easy to change though, and use credit cards (if you know how to use them). Also during the Grand Prix week festivities, many merchants will accept US money as there is so many US tourists around. The exchange rate is close to par at the moment but who knows in June

If they take your US cash they will give you change in Canadian currency.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #20
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanky19 View Post
going to the gp in montreal as well! I raced on that circuit last season, it's even more intimidating than it looks from behind the wheel!
In what race was this... you need to be at a professional level to race there... Only supporting races for F1 (which were absent in 2009) and other supporting races in Nascar. I don't know of any other time where people can "race" there. I might be mistaken...

edit: I just saw that you are a professionnal driver... Damn, I really thought you would show me the dates for lapping or HPDEs at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

Last edited by Tonybest; 01-19-2010 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: I went snooping around...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #21
Stanky19
Friends don't let friends early apex!
United_States
Rep
Drives: "The Turbo Schnitzel"

Garage List
2007 E92 335I  [0.00]
yea it was the Grand Am Rolex race last year, although my team mate stuffed the car about 2 laps before i was getting in....... which sucked!!!!!

I'm pretty certain we were the support race for the Canadian Nascar Series
      01-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #22
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanky19 View Post
yea it was the Grand Am Rolex race last year, although my team mate stuffed the car about 2 laps before i was getting in....... which sucked!!!!!

I'm pretty certain we were the support race for the Canadian Nascar Series
Rather the Nationwide Nascar as opposed to the Sprint Cup... it's scheduled for August 29th 2010... rolex will be 27-28th
Appreciate 0