E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Is this a scam?

01-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
mikeysix
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 318d m sport

Garage List
Is this a scam?

Hi all need your help. I posted in the classifieds that my iPhone was for sale on eBay. Listed it last night at 11. It sold within 2 hours. The brand new buyer with no feedback and just joined emails me stating they wish to pay straight away with paypal. I reply saying that's fine then I hear nothing and the buyer is no longer a registered user? This pissed me off so I filed a non payment. eBay account square again. Relist the phone half an hour ago. Within 2 minutes it's sold again. Another brand new buyer. No feedback. Emails me stating he's in Glasgow visiting. Wants to collect and is going to transfer the money straight away. No transfer yet. Both have addreses near London but something feels wrong!!! I'm safe with eBay and I only ever use paypal which is also protected. Anyone heard of something similar?

Regards a concerned mikey
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Yeh happens alot with high priced buy it now items. They will try and get you to send the goods before you have received the money. When you relist, you can speicfy that bidders with low feedback can't bid.
      01-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Yes, this has happened to me a lot with selling mobile phones / camera's etc on eBay...although I'm not sure why or what benefit there is to someone winning an item and then disappearing.

What I do to try and avoid this, and it seems to work, is put a few rules to potential bidders. Make it very clear they need to have at least 10 positive feedback before bidding or to email you first before placing a bid. Also, make it clear payment is required within 24 hours of winning and non-payers will be reported immediately to PayPal.

Finally, on things like an iPhone; don't have a Buy It Now - start with a reasonable price, set a reserve and then let the auction run it's course.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
mikeysix
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Thanks mate. I was worried there invcase my computer was being hacked or somethin! Thing is there not askin for the goods to be sent. They both said they were making an instant payment? Fuckin dodgy bastards!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
mikeysix
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Thanks palmnuts. Sound advice. I will try that mate
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
simples
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

sounds well dodgy, keep clear mate.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 01:20 AM   #7
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

You can also block overseas bidders ,I had a nightmare two years ago with Nigerian buyers ,i think there is a helpline now on the home page they will assist in setting up your sale
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 03:06 AM   #8
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
When selling high value items, take all the advice as above - but accpet payment ONLY by PAYPAL and send the device via properly recorded and insured means.

This means you have a safe and audited payment paper trail and a fully tracked/insured parcel.

I've heard of collection in person buyers claiming they haven't recieved the goods - there is no proof and PayPal refund the buyer, so they get a free item.

Be very careful.