E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > The Status of BMW

08-18-2005, 08:04 AM   #1
I miss my 325xi
Private
Rep
Drives: '02 325xi(retired)

The Status of BMW

I've always read about how people associate themselves with the kind of car they drive. In the past, Audi owners were seen as the outside group that loved its individualty, Mercedes were the old school, and BMW owners were in a seperate class of high performance/handling enjoying enthusiasts. Along the years, how do you guys think this status persona has changed ?

These days I see the BMW-Audi rivalry heating up to an all time high. Any thoughts?
      08-18-2005, 08:08 AM   #2
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Agreed. audi becomes more sporty, BMW more luxury liner(don't like that really though)

And Merc stays calm, luxurious, not very sporty and bad build quality at the moment
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 08:35 AM   #3
djinferno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

I do beleive that from a stand point of performance, BMW owners to me are perceved as drivers... Audi owners are perseved as being different... and Benz drivers are perceived as being in a status symbol car...

Thats just my opinion tho
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 09:17 AM   #4
I miss my 325xi
Private
Rep

Of course, every mark has their 'sporty' cars. BMW has their M series, Merc has their AMG and Audi has their S Line.

I guess what I am trying to get at is: Do BMW drivers feel that they are superior to other drivers in different car manufacturers? In Europe, my opinion is that BMW drivers feel that they are more in the 'in crowd' than other makes...

For instance, when an E90 driver pulls up to a C class or an Audi A4, don't they feel like "check me out, i drive a bmw''

Of course, no offense to anyone who drives a Merc or Audi-it's just the way I feel..
      08-18-2005, 09:44 AM   #5
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by I miss my 325xi
I've always read about how people associate themselves with the kind of car they drive. In the past, Audi owners were seen as the outside group that loved its individualty, Mercedes were the old school, and BMW owners were in a seperate class of high performance/handling enjoying enthusiasts. Along the years, how do you guys think this status persona has changed ?

These days I see the BMW-Audi rivalry heating up to an all time high. Any thoughts?
Yea those were definatly the old images of those brands, especially since there was alot more distinction between the cars only just a few years ago. And each brand catered to a different type of customer with no qualms about it.

But now it seems like all 3 brands are coming closer and closer to building the same exact car.

I guess a sporty car thats also a luxury car is where the trend is right now, so BMW has picked up a lot more bussiness, and benz and audi have definatly aimed their cars to pick up some sporty attitude (either through actual changes in the car<audi> or just marketing hype <benz>)..

I guess time will tell if its just a trend or this is the way its going to be from now on. As long as BMW stays true to the original idea, then its all good with me, because BMW will make the best car when its playing on it own rules
      08-18-2005, 09:46 AM   #6
peakpro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ex-Z4; now looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by I miss my 325xi
Of course, every mark has their 'sporty' cars. BMW has their M series, Merc has their AMG and Audi has their S Line.

I guess what I am trying to get at is: Do BMW drivers feel that they are superior to other drivers in different car manufacturers? In Europe, my opinion is that BMW drivers feel that they are more in the 'in crowd' than other makes...

For instance, when an E90 driver pulls up to a C class or an Audi A4, don't they feel like "check me out, i drive a bmw''

Of course, no offense to anyone who drives a Merc or Audi-it's just the way I feel..
Maybe in Europe but not in the US. How could you have that "look at me" feeling when you see so many Bimmers on the roads. It seems like there's one stopped at every street light

Now, I don't think that bad because it a testiment to how well they drive and preform.

But I don't feel anything special when people see me driving my 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 10:16 AM   #7
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

In Europe, BMW stands for agressive pathetic driving(not me)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 10:37 AM   #8
Minarets
Private
Rep
Drives: maxima

i do think BMW is getting more and more trendy then ever before. people who buy a comprable car by another manufactuer often mention, they didnt want to be another BMW driver.

for every BMW driving enthusiast i beleive there are 4 or 5 people who buy BMW for the badge. that is my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 11:04 AM   #9
nexus66
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minarets
for every BMW driving enthusiast i beleive there are 4 or 5 people who buy BMW for the badge. that is my opinion.
I can agree with that one! I never really thought about driving a BMW until a friend took me out in his new E46 320d. I couldn't help it - I was blown away by the car. It's solidity, road manners, nimbleness, etc... I had to get one - not out of keeping up with the Jones' or anything, I was just that impressed!

The badge on the front - that's just a bonus!
      08-18-2005, 12:32 PM   #10
MrDreamWeaver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330i - Silver

Some of you act like you are what you drive. Almost like the car defines who you are. Sheesh. I just think my BMW is a luxurious, sporty and fun ride. I don't try to show up people at stoplights or on the road. Frankly, I'm almost embarassed to be driving such a nice car at my age.

While we're on a similar topic, Is it me or do you guys get tailgated and cut-off more than usual? I mentioned this to my brother and he didn't really think anything of it until he rode with me. 1 person tailgated me to the point of almost touching my bumper. Another severely cut me off on a merge, swinging from behind me into the left lane then back infront of me. I couldn't believe it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 12:38 PM   #11
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Thats the price we pay for driving the Ultimate Driving Machine, DreamWeaver. In my country it's much worse than that man
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 12:42 PM   #12
jlr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 33i

who ownes BMWs

Most people who drive BMWs dirve them because they are great cars
and read good things about them. If you buy a meredes theses days it is due to status only. Anyone who reads knows Mercedes has
gone down hill in the past 10 years. Merdes has no class leaders
under 100K. The taxis in Germany and Amsterdam are Mercedes E30s. I you have a big head get a Mercedes. If you have a heavy foot go with the BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 12:56 PM   #13
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr
and read good things about them. If you buy a meredes theses days it is due to status only. Anyone who reads knows Mercedes has
under 100K. The taxis in Germany and Amsterdam are Mercedes E30s. I you have a big head get a Mercedes. If you have a heavy foot go with the BMWs.

E220CDI/E270CDI/E320CDI (taxis in Amsterdam in general)

In my hometown only BMW's are used for taxis: 520d E39, 525d E60, 730D E65 etc. No Merc for that taxi company. The boss drives a new E60 M5
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 01:06 PM   #14
I miss my 325xi
Private
Rep

Definitely, Robin Hood...Because near Schipol airport, thats all I see... (Mercs) I even saw a few S Classes.. on that topic; I sometimes feel a bit confused when i see Mercedes or BMW being used as taxis... Anyway; that's a fine car your boss is driving, a new M5 eh! I saw one at a BMW dealer in Kapellen, Belgium and it was insane!

Anyway, i just wanted to see what everyone thought..you;ll still find me in a bmw..unless of course, I'm handed the keys to any new SL. That's my only vice..

Other than that, ROCK ON BMW! ''ooh baby, i love you way, everyday..i wanna be with you night and day!"
      08-18-2005, 01:07 PM   #15
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

It's not my boss! It's the taxicompany's boss in my hometown. Ok he is a friend of mine( his sons are actually)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 01:21 PM   #16
DEAN325i
LTBMW
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW e92 M3

Garage List
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
over here in seattle at least..if you drive a bimmer, youre considered a "Baller"
      08-18-2005, 01:27 PM   #17
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN325i
over here in seattle at least..if you drive a bimmer, youre considered a "Baller"
Didn't know that, still love Soundgarden/Audioslave :rocks:

Sorry for the
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 01:34 PM   #18
Imperial
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDreamWeaver
I just think my BMW is a luxurious, sporty and fun ride. I don't try to show up people at stoplights or on the road. Frankly, I'm almost embarassed to be driving such a nice car at my age.

I agree. Those were the main reasons behind me getting into an E90, too. I really don't care about what kind of "status symbol" the BMW may be. I got it cuz I liked it. The bling factor, as mentioned, is just an added bonus, heheheh

but I'm right there with you on the "almost embarassed to have the car" thing. I dunno if we're near the same age or not, but I definitely feel a little inappropriate having the 330i sometimes. But hey, whatever
      08-18-2005, 02:25 PM   #19
peakpro
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr

I disagree with you. I think most people who frequent this forum bought their BMW because they are great to drive.

But for many, many buyers the badge is the reason they buy one.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 02:34 PM   #20
peakpro
Second Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=
While we're on a similar topic, Is it me or do you guys get tailgated and cut-off more than usual? I mentioned this to my brother and he didn't really think anything of it until he rode with me. 1 person tailgated me to the point of almost touching my bumper. Another severely cut me off on a merge, swinging from behind me into the left lane then back infront of me. I couldn't believe it.[/QUOTE]

If it bothers you don't ever consider a Z4 or M series.

In my 3 series no one bothers me. When the Z4 is out too many idiots, including drivers of these massive hemi trucks want to go toe to toe. It gets to be a pain.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 03:57 PM   #21
AW330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr
If you have a big head get a Mercedes. If you have a heavy foot go with the BMWs.
LOL Agreed coming from a guy with two Mercedes and a BMW in the driveway. My dad's S 500 has AC in the seats and it Messages you also. It is wonderful in the summer heat here in houston but it certainly isnt the ultimate driving machine! I cant wait for my bimmer!!!!
      08-18-2005, 07:05 PM   #22
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDreamWeaver
Is it me or do you guys get tailgated and cut-off more than usual?
constantly tailgated but not normally cut off.

I think the other drivers want to see how fast my car can go perhaps. Maybe they think their car is better than mine - like get out of my way. I don't care but I'm going to drive at a speed that I feel safe and comfortable with. Nnot a good idea to speed here as we have police on our roads with speed cameras and radars everywhere raising millions of easy $$$ BIG time!!

I just slow down a little and they the pass me by. I am not in any hurry in my wonderful 325. I really do savour every minute driving the car so I'm not going to be stressed out by any tailgater.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0