E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > FJO Racing Wideband 02 Controller w/ Datalogging **Full Review/DIY**

02-01-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

FJO Racing Wideband 02 Controller w/ Datalogging **Full Review/DIY**

This is going to be the first of a series of reviews I will be posting in the next couple of weeks, but I wanted to start at the beginning of my modification process.

As I have continued to modify my N54, I really feel the need to monitor air/fuel ratios has become increasingly important to me. Boost is great, but it really gives you no clue or hint whatsoever about how things are running. If you want to catch issues before they occur, then a wideband is an absolute necessity. Lean air/fuel rations will ultimately lead to knock and detonation, so being able to monitor A/F ratios is critically important. As we move forward toward greater mods and turbo upgrades, wideband use will likely become widespread on our cars. The time to buy a wideband was right for me now and this led me into my search.

There are a few well respected widebands on the market, but I have some key needs. I wanted high speed datalogging capabilities, a high speed data bus, the ability to monitor multiple 02 sensors, a rugged unit, and rpm capabilities. FJO Racing has a superb reputation in the wideband community and really met my needs very well. The FJO wideband boasts some strong positives:

- Extremely rugged design. If you haven't seen their videos boiling & driving over the
unit, it is a must!
- Basic air/fuel ratio & rpm measurements.
- One of the few widebands with a Digital Data Bus.
- Super high speed logging (sampling rate greater than 250 per second).
- Accuracy better than 0.1 AFR over the range 10.5:1 to 15.5:1.
- Logs up to 8 O2 sensors at once.
- Leanest channel output (means it will output the leanest A/F to whatever
display or controller you want).
- Great plug and play design.
- Unbelievable logging software.

From there I had to determine who to buy the FJO Racing Wideband from and I decided on Cyberauto.com. Cyberauto.com is one of the largest FJO Racing retailers and sells the unit through their Alamo Motorsports internet site:

http://www.alamomotorsports.com/fjo/

I purchased the following through Cyberauto:

- FJO Racing Wideband 02 Controller FJO KWB4001)
- FJO Wideband Bosch 02 Sensor (FJO SO20004)
- FJO 4' Sensor Extension Cable (FJO IWS3004)
- FJO Wideband Expansion Terminator Kit (FJO IBT0001)
- FJO Wideband Expansion 4 foot (FJO IBC0004)

I did not get 2 sensors for each pipe simply because most of the people I spoke with said on the N54 it is just not necessary, but I do have the ability to upgrade if needed.

CyberAuto Experience

When I ordered the kit from CyberAuto, I received a confirmation of my order by email the same day and had tracking information by the next morning. I am a huge fan of vendors that email tracking numbers so I can plan around its arrival.

I had technical questions along the way and Chris from CyberAuto always responded the same day. He gave me technical answers and even dumbed down answers when I needed them. To say the least, Chris was tremendously helpful during my entire experience with CyberAuto.

When the kit came to my house, it was very well packaged and nicely bubble protected.

When I opened the package, each item was packaged individually and well protected.

Inside the FJO cardboard box is the wideband itself and all the accessories including a detailed manual, software, FJO USB Adapter, and O2 bung.

The actual FJO Racing Wideband is very compact and extremely rugged.

Overall, my experience with CyberAuto was superb and I would strong recommend Chris if you have any technical questions along the way.

Installation

The first thing you really need to do is get the bung welded on your downpipes or midpipes. It is recommended that you install the O2 sensor in front of the cats if you have them. Installing the O2 sensor in the downpipes was just too big of a headache for what I felt was a minimal response difference, so I went about 18" back on my midpipe. I took my midpipe to a local shop that tig welds and had a stainless steel bung welded to the pipe.

I reinstalled the midpipe and then ran the wire through the under panels to the engine bay. Simple stuff.

Next, I had to decide where to put the unit. Since FJO boasts such a rugged unit, I really had no worries about putting it anywhere. I used the gap in the driver's side area near the windshield by the brake/hydraulic fluid reservoir.

This location gave me easy access to run wires to the cabin and easy access to the O2 sensor cable. In the picture above you can see the wire run to the FJO Racing Controller. Ground is easy. Plug up the O2 sensor. If you run the Bosch sensor like me then snip the brown wire loop shown below.

Let's cover engine wiring first. This was the hard part on wiring... how in the world do we get an RPM or tach signal from the N54. This has been a gigantic dilemma to this point as no one had any answer where to get one. We banged some ideas around and thanks to Scalbert we were able to test the OBD port rpm source and trace it back to the ECU. Huge thanks to Scalbert for the testing. Thankfully now I can verify our solution does work!!! So how do you get the RPM signal? The RPM output is pin 21 on the small grey slider in the ecu box. That is off the driver's side ecu plug. If you are not sure where to find the grey slider, just watch this video and look at 4:23 to see it:

Now you will need to intercept the black wire in pin 21.

What is the easiest way to intercept it? I actually used a wire to create a simple and clean PNP style solution. I simply removed the PNP wire from my JB3 harness and stripped off a small section.

Then I added a black jumper wire.

Soldered it and used shrink wrap.

Then re-insert that back into pin 21 on your PNP harness and you have an RPM signal!!! Run the RPM wire out of the ECU box through the middle black rubber tube.

Pull the black wire out the other end of that black rubber tubing and run it to the green wire on the FJO Racing Controller.

This is a standard 6 cylinder tach signal and you will use multiplier of /3 to get any controller to recognize this rpm signal.

Now on to the cabin run. You will want to run the power wire, digital databus cable, PC wires, and gauge wires into the cabin. Before running the digital databus into the cabin, you need to assemble the extension. I know this may seem simple, but on a digital databus you need a terminator. Here is what the wire looks like when you get it:

It is the wire from that connects to the controller and a blue terminator plug. You will need to separate the terminator from the wiring by simply unplugging it.

Now connect the blue terminator plug to the short wire on your extension.

Finally, connect the short wire with the blue plug to the end of your extension cable.

Run it to the cabin and you are done here.

Finally onto the PC connection and power wire. You will wire up the FJO USB Adapter with the white to power (more later), black to ground, and match the striped wires from the controller to the FJO USB Adapter. I mounted the FJO USB Adapter near the glove box and tucked it under the carpet. This makes the USB wire run to the glove box easy.

Finally you will power things up. You will need to use the white wire from the USB Adapter and the red wire from the FJO controller and find a key on power source. Get a tap-a-fuse and use pin 5 or jumper pin 7 in the fuse box for key on power. This has been covered extensively elsewhere, so I will defer to that.

And you are now done! Wait, where is the gauge? That is a topic for another review.

Results

I have to say that the datalogging software with this kit can teach a lot to the world about what a datalogging setup should look like. The interface is intuitive, very fresh looking, and incredibly functional! It can be firmware updated in the event that is needed at no cost for the life of the unit. Oh and don't forget to set the RPM multiplier to /3!

You can log RPM and air/fuel ratio, set color associations for A/F ratios, set alarms for A/F ratios (audible beep), RPM color associations, RPM alerts (audible beep), etc.

The Monitor window has to be the best looking logging window I have ever seen!

It shows real time A/F ratios and RPMs up top and a time lapse of these parameters. When you are ready to log, click on the logging button to begin data logs. You can user define what folder you want to put the logs and the names for the logs.

Once you complete your data log, you can enter the analysis mode by clicking Analysis at the top of the interface. The analysis mode is incredibly flexible and has many user definable fields. You can even play back the log like a movie to see how the run unfolded. I am simply floored by how good the software is. Here is an example of just revving in the driveway.

I will have more logs once things warm enough that I can get a WOT run.

The response of the FJO unit is exceptionally fast. It logs 250+ samples per second! The digital databus is very nice and very fast for you’re in car display.

I have to say I am absolutely floored with how good the datalogging interface is and the blazing fast speed of the whole system.

Conclusion

My experience with CyberAuto was tremendous. They were very friendly, fast and informative in shipping, and their technical support was superb. I would not hesitate for a second to purchase from them again. If you are interested, here is a link to their FJO products:

http://www.alamomotorsports.com/fjo/

The FJO Wideband O2 Controller w/ Datalogging is a very strong setup. The controller itself is compact and rugged. The software interface is powerful, intuitive, and packed with functions. The datalogging is absolutely beautiful and offers an incredible amount of information. The FJO controller produces 250+ samples per second and has a very fast digital databus for a very responsive gauge setup.

If you are going to push the modifications on this car, then a wideband is a must and the FJO Wideband is an incredible choice.

Last edited by Former_Boosted_IS; 02-22-2010 at 06:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Spot saved for warmer weather WOT logs.

Here are some WOT runs:

The most impressive part is that I was getting completely sideways on the first graph and you can see where the tires finally grabbed at 35.4 seconds. 2.0 puts down some seriously aggressive power.

On question this really brings up is what is a safe A/F on a DI motor. We are all used to the traditional 11.5:1 to 12:0.1 air fuel ratios on EFI motors, but this appears to be a whole different ball game.

I hope this can lead to an open and informative discussion here.

Last edited by Former_Boosted_IS; 02-03-2010 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

excellent writeup....love it

looking forward to seeing more

ive been wanting to upgrade to a loggable afr unit. I'm assuming this is easy to hook up to a ditial afr gauge for the dash and not just to your pc correct?
      02-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Wow another great review of a product! Thanks Question for you is, what is the difference when compared to the Procede Reader? The Procede reader can also read and log the RPMs, a/f and many other parameters that I have not mentioned, but I can go on and on.....So in essence, is this mod necessary for those of us who are running the RevII tune? What other logging parameters does the FJO have that the Procede reader doesn't? Just curious...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
excellent writeup as usual.

Not to mean this in a negative way but strictly for my curiosity, are you able to do a custom tune with the JB3? If not, why did you go with this as opposed to a simple gauge-type wideband to monitor a/f's since you cant really use the info you datalog?

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
ar design
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Nice review!
      02-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
a32guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 335i

Very nice writeup! We owe you a beer.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #8
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Whoops, posted an image twice. Here is the example log of revving.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

use something other than yellow, that is hurting my eyes!!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
excellent writeup....love it

looking forward to seeing more

ive been wanting to upgrade to a loggable afr unit. I'm assuming this is easy to hook up to a ditial afr gauge for the dash and not just to your pc correct?
Sniz, thanks for the kind words. It is very easy to hook a digital afr gauge on the dash and I have one, but that is for another review. The digital databus gives the same very high speed for a dash gauge if it has a digital databus input. If the gauge doesn't have digital databus, then you can use the analog output. It is very flexible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Wow another great review of a product! Thanks Question for you is, what is the difference when compared to the Procede Reader? The Procede reader can also read and log the RPMs, a/f and many other parameters that I have not mentioned, but I can go on and on.....So in essence, is this mod necessary for those of us who are running the RevII tune? What other logging parameters does the FJO have that the Procede reader doesn't? Just curious...
Thanks cn555ic. I believe the Procede does log these parameters, but they are held internally to the procede. This means you cannot have a guage display. Second, these values cannot be fed to any other device. It will become more apparent why that matters soon. Also, I am not sure of the sample rate on the Procede or the accuracy of the factory wideband O2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSid View Post
excellent writeup as usual.

Not to mean this in a negative way but strictly for my curiosity, are you able to do a custom tune with the JB3? If not, why did you go with this as opposed to a simple gauge-type wideband to monitor a/f's since you cant really use the info you datalog?
Thanks for the compliments TurboSid. I am going to use the wideband output shortly and I really needed the ability to log some runs. For many, the loggable part may not be necessary but the digital databus will still be of huge value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar design View Post
Nice review!
Thanks AR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a32guy View Post
Very nice writeup! We owe you a beer.
Lol, this is only the beginning. Thanks for the kind words!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #11
bmwzimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 335

Can Procede REVII read and provide this data?
      02-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #12
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwzimmer View Post
Can Procede REVII read and provide this data?
yes it will do that on your laptop
      02-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #13
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
yes it will do that on your laptop
There is no way to use that data to feed a gauge though right?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #14
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
There is no way to use that data to feed a gauge though right?
not that i'm aware. Maybe someone slick could set up an onboard computer in the dash and display it all there ala GTR style.
      02-02-2010, 06:07 AM   #15
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
not that i'm aware. Maybe someone slick could set up an onboard computer in the dash and display it all there ala GTR style.
The dash display and fast reacting gauge are the entire reason for most to have a wideband O2 system, so it is really of no use sitting in the DME of only loggable. The logging function is great on the Procede, so don't get me wrong, but it is the same as being able to log boost... if you cannot see it on a guage then it's value is far reduced in daily driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #16
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I guess this FJO will be hooked up to the A-pillar gauges that you will be installing on your car, I am just assuming since you asked about a poll about the A-pillar gauge mounts
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #17
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
I guess this FJO will be hooked up to the A-pillar gauges that you will be installing on your car, I am just assuming since you asked about a poll about the A-pillar gauge mounts
cn555ic, there are no A-pillar pods available that I know of to be honest or I would use one. The FJO is hooked up to a display gauge and that will be covered in detail in a future review. Right now I am using an ATI e-POD, but it covers up a good part of the gas gauge and oil temp gauge. I am trying to talk ATI into finding a way to move those gauges out from the center, but haven't had any luck yet. The ePODS are really popular on the E46 M3s.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #18
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Maybe it's already been mentioned but why not get a PLX multi gauge and just fab your own housing somewhere you like?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 10:08 AM   #19
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
former, why not get a PLX multi gauge and just fab your own housing somewhere you like?
PLX is not going to do most of the things we want. The OBDII unit is going to be laggy and slow simply because there are limits coming from the OBDII port in every application I have ever seen. This was noted by the guy on the forum that had the OBDII PLX in his rear view mirror. Second, the PLX is not going to do anything outside of the normal gauge functions like fuel pressure, boost, etc. For example, I would have no way to get a methanol flow gauge on there.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #20
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

gotcha, i thought their iMFD modules would be sufficient, i know first hand they aren't sufficient for wireless stuff (another product is sufficient, but that's for another thread when it's finished ) but wired I just assumed it would be good to go. Anyways, I digress. Can't wait to read the next review

Last edited by jpsimon; 02-02-2010 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #21
reno808
Banned
Rep
Drives: Fiat Panda

Finally someone with brains. Good shit. Very nice write up. EGT input?? Does it have 0-5v input?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #22
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reno808 View Post
Finally someone with brains. Good shit. Very nice write up. EGT input?? Does it have 0-5v input?
Thanks reno. It does not have EGT input that I am aware of on the unit I have. I am much more concerned about A/F than anything else.
Appreciate 0