E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Horsepower Freaks E46 M3 turbo kit

10-29-2006, 04:33 PM   #1
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Horsepower Freaks E46 M3 turbo kit - 533 WHP at 8psi!

It looks like someone is finally getting a turbo to market for the E46 M3. If it's a good as Chris claims it to be then I'm going to strongly consider getting it. Based on what he's seen so far, he's hoping he can get it to outrun his turbo'd Supra that's running 9's right now.

He posted this today on the m3forum.....

I've waited long enough and can't take it anymore. I'm too excited. Since I'm going to post a video of the car in action tomorrow I'll answer your questions.

Yesterday we made 480rwhp (approx 600bhp) at 7psi on the stock motor with a race fuel mix for safety reasons (no NOS or meth - and I think there's probably another 40rwhp at that boost level once we finish tuning timing and vanos). Tomorrow if we can get the car to do full pulls on the dyno I'm going to dial the car in for 15psi and see what it can do. We will not have enough time before Sema to get the true potential of this turbo kit, but I will atleast post up some preliminary results. At that power level the stock fuel pump is sufficient and the stock clutch is still holding.

1) The manifold is a tubular manifold with a merge collector and a T4 flange. Don't ask how we did it, but we made it happen and I believe it is a significant contribution to our #'s. Our kit will accept all Precision turbos from a T61 (this is the one on the car currently) to a Precision 76GTS.
2) No oil draining issues. We switched to an oil pump but I think we may be able to switch back to our original plan which didn't include an oil pump.
3) Those #'s were made with the stock exhaust. We are building an HPF exhaust for this car as well. The kit includes a midpipe which connects the turbo to the exhaust. No welding, cutting or wiring is require for this kit. It is complete bolt up.
4) On this kit the wastegate is open to the atmosphere. There will be an option to route it back in. It sounds really mean (sort of an exotic V8 sound) once the wastegate opens, and I sort of prefer it.
5) We've designed our own intake manifold. The one on our prototype car is fabricated, our production kits will be cast.
6) No MAF is required, simply unplug it and remove it. We're using a MAP sensor, and driveability is flawless.
7) The blow off valve is open to the atmosphere, not recirculated.
8) The injectors are high impedance 750s. At the power level we're at, we're still using the stock fuel pump. We're going to add another inline pump if we start losing fuel pressure.
9) We're going to set the kit up with 3 boost settings. The low boost pump gas setting will be 6psi. This is normal and is the way everyone will get the kit. If you purchase the methanol option, the car will sense any methanol in the tank, will activate the methanol fogger at 3psi and allow the boost to reach 10psi, as well as pull out fuel and add timing while the methanol is spraying. When methanol pressure drops or goes to high (e.g. you run out of methanol or the line gets plugged) the car will revert back to the 6psi settings. If you put race fuel in your car and turn on the race fuel switch, the car will run 14psi and add timing. If race fuel is run and methanol is in the tank the car will still run 14psi but will also pull out fuel to account for the methanol. The #'s we made so far were not done with any methanol.
10) We're using the stock clutch. We have our own line of clutches that are run in many of the fastest Supras and Vipers. We're going to build our own set of clutches for the M3 with the same materials and they will be good to over 1000rwhp.
11) We achieved the boost we targeted (7psi) at 3800rpm. The torque is amazing and doesn't drop all the way to 8000rpm. The T61 spools very very quick and provides a wonderful power delivery. However, because the motor responds so well to turbocharging, I'm going to probably switch to a 67, 70 or 72 in the near future. I personally like lag because it makes the power delivery more fun.
12) Precision T61
13) Yes, once we run 15psi on the stock internals, I'm going to do a head gasket and head studs to drop the compression, and see how much more power we can squeeze out of it. Then we will pull the motor apart again and do pistons and rods. I would prefer to skip the head gasket option but I think many people may want to do that step instead of building their motor. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated?

Playfirst... We should have a good ballpark figure by the end of November. We still have to go through all the parts in the kit and determine what are costs are.

///M3-QTR... Thanks. I'll post up some vids tomorrow.

Darkness M... Thanks. Yea, this M3 will be a Supra killer. At low boost it will smoke nearly every production car ever built. With Vanos techonlogy and the slightly larger displacement than the Supra, I'm hoping to make my M3 faster than my Supra (which easily runs 9's and should run 8's this next race season)

Last edited by Carnage; 10-30-2006 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2006, 05:19 PM   #2
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Horsepower freaks are the ones who had a turbo'd E90 at Bimmerfest this year...

But I heard after the fact that the turbo was for looks, because as soon as the boost spooled up, the DME (digital motor electronics) would shut off fuel injectors. lol.

Also, he (Chris) told me at that time that the e90 turbo kit was going to cost like 12-15,000.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2006, 05:43 PM   #3
Zeroday
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Plymouth Volare

I bet this kit is a bargain.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2006, 06:01 PM   #4
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt
Horsepower freaks are the ones who had a turbo'd E90 at Bimmerfest this year...

But I heard after the fact that the turbo was for looks, because as soon as the boost spooled up, the DME (digital motor electronics) would shut off fuel injectors. lol.

Also, he (Chris) told me at that time that the e90 turbo kit was going to cost like 12-15,000.

Matt
That doesn't surprise me. He stated before that they were having issues trying to build a turbo kit for the E90 so they turned more attention to the M3. Path of least resistance.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2006, 10:58 PM   #5
Ray
Rep
Drives: three series

matsarge, you are insane if you get this kit!

With 15lbs of boost and no MAF, you got yourself monster power and practicality on on package.

You make me jealous, once again.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2006, 03:31 PM   #6
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeThirtyEye
matsarge, you are insane if you get this kit!

With 15lbs of boost and no MAF, you got yourself monster power and practicality on on package.

You make me jealous, once again.
Thanks but I wouldn't be totally insane, just slightly insane.

Based on where they are right now, these are est.(very rough) times for something with the current output. He's going to have to double the HP to get into the 8-9 sec. range w/ the car at that weight. When he turns the boost up to 15psi, this is liable to be a sub 3 sec. 0-60 - low 10 sec. 1/4 mile machine.

Crazy stuff, an E46 M3 with this setup is going to destroy just about anything in it's path.

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 655
Weight without Driver (KG) : 1570
Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 423.89
0 - 60 (Secs) : 3.42
0 - 100 (Secs) : 6.55
60 - 100 (Secs) : 3.13
Quarter Mile (Secs) : 11.36
Terminal Speed (MPH) : 132.27
Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 11.26
Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 133.74

Check out Chris's latest updates, w/ videos......

520rwhp - 400ft-lbs at 8psi.

We were able to figure out some things and get a couple more pulls on the dyno today. We turned the boost up one more pound to 8psi and made 520rwhp, 400ft-lbs. We still have a LOT more tuning to do, and we're going to run a LOT more boost.

Here's a video of our M3 on the dyno during one of the pulls.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/vide...hp8psiDyno.wmv

Here's a video inside the cabin during a subsequent pull. You can see the nice gauge pod with UEGO wide-band and Boost gauge that will be included with every kit.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/vide...DuringPull.wmv

New update. The last dyno was 533rwhp.

Yes that is our turbo kit on a completely stock M3, stock engine, stock exhaust. The BOV we use is a Tial, it's the best BOV on the market and makes a bit less noise than the rest as it opens all the way around. We may be able to here it on the street, but I'm not sure yet we'll see. I will try to get some street action before we leave.

Last edited by Carnage; 10-30-2006 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2006, 11:28 PM   #7
Ray
Rep

Even at it's most conservative state, it is still a beast.

That motor with the turbo sounds amazing in those videos! Thanks for posting them.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 03:34 PM   #8
06330i
fresher den you
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2004 x3

Garage List
2006 E90, 330i  [0.00]
good gosh nice job! i want an m3 now...
      10-31-2006, 05:41 PM   #9
jerrygarcia
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 sedan eventually

traction would be an issue... cool none the less would love to see what it could really do.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2006, 09:48 AM   #10
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Latest update.....

Some food for thought. Here was one of the 518rwhp dyno pulls done at 7psi (note max torque is roughly 400ftlbs not 453). We would lose the rpm pickup every so often as you can see in the graph. Most people think a turbo will be more laggy than a supercharger. As you can tell from the graph there is no lag whatsoever with this kit. Anyone have a supercharged graph at 7psi of boost on the stock motor they want to post up?

Chris.

[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2006, 08:14 PM   #11
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/pric...bos/Turbo_Kits

Finished product....750bhp (600rwhp) on race gas. 625bhp (500rwhp) on pump gas. $16K. This just got added to my list of future mods.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2006, 12:15 AM   #12
Ray
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsarge
[url] This just got added to my list of future mods.
Very near future I hope.
Appreciate 0