E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Car Computer Shutdown!!!!

02-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
zetaxi165
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 335, TiAg

Car Computer Shutdown!!!!

Ok this is a bit long winded so bear with me.

About a week ago, I noticed a noise coming from the Engine bay, similar to something was spinning around and hitting other things.

I decided to take it to my regular workshop (I am out of warranty so use a non-BMW workshop since it is cheaper). I switched the car off and waited for a friend to join me and then the car refused to crank up after that.

Got the car towed to the workshop.

When we got there, they checked and found that the fan belt had split and the torn bit had gotten itself wound up along a few pulleys, damaging them.

So, I needed a new fan belt, tensioner pulley and power steering pulley. This was all replaced.

Went to pick up the car, this morning and the guys took it for a spin and brought it back.

Went upto it to start it again and this time I get the Steering Wheel with lock symbol. IDrive mentions that the electronic steering lock has malfunctioned and to take it to the BMW service. Now the car refuses to start.

The workshop guys connect their computer to it and they can't seem to access certain areas of the program.

They figure that the computer needs resetting since the car battery died completely.

Now, the car does not start nor does the wheel turn.

Has anyone faced a similar problem?

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
JuppiOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: everyone crazy

sounds like a faulty steering column, common issue. but give this a try for temporary fix, exit your car, lock the door with your key fob, then unlock the door again, and try starting the car, may be this will allow you to drive it until next time this happens again.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
zetaxi165
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 335, TiAg

Tried it.

Didn't work.
Appreciate 0