BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Thoughts on architecture schools in California

02-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Thoughts on architecture schools in California

Looking for a well-rounded NAAB accredited architecture school in California for UG. The schools I've looked at are Cal Poly both SLO and Pomona, California college of the arts, woodbury university, and southern California institute of architecture (sci-arc). I'm interested in green design and I know a little about cal poly pomona and their sustainable design, how is SCI-arc? I'm having trouble finding stuff about them online, but heard that it was pretty good in a the past.

I made a post quite some time ago regarding cal poly and got some really good feedback and advice so I thought I'd give it another shot, this time not just cal poly. I've already completed my 1st year as an architecture student in a school in New York, but I want to move back to the West Coast. I have about 90 credits that should transfer over, but even if I get fewer than that I'm still looking to get into the advanced placement (2nd year).

My priorities right now are:
1. Cal Poly Pomona
2. SCI-arc
3. Woodbury
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 01:15 AM   #2
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

have you personally talked with a SCI-arc or woodbury staff?
      02-12-2010, 01:20 AM   #3
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

I have heard Cal Poly is more engineering based and Sci Arc is more design based while Woodbury is in the middle. Where ever you go just know that you gotta give it a hundred percent. Architecture is fucking hard

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 01:28 AM   #4
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Both Cal-Poly and Woodbury ahve great Undergrad programs. SCI-Arc is a better choice for graduate program, IMO. I have hired two Cal Poly grads in my office in the past and was quite happy with them.

Not sure about which one is stronger on the "Green" side of education though but I know Cal Poly is more technically oriented than the other two.

CA is calling your name ....Come back home
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 03:37 AM   #5
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
I have heard Cal Poly is more engineering based and Sci Arc is more design based while Woodbury is in the middle. Where ever you go just know that you gotta give it a hundred percent. Architecture is fucking hard
Yeah.. tell me about it, and that was just the first year I once thought to myself if the end result was worth sacrificing my social life, free-time, spending habits, money, and sleep... Yeah it is, I fucking love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
Both Cal-Poly and Woodbury ahve great Undergrad programs. SCI-Arc is a better choice for graduate program, IMO. I have hired two Cal Poly grads in my office in the past and was quite happy with them.

Not sure about which one is stronger on the "Green" side of education though but I know Cal Poly is more technically oriented than the other two.

ahh hello Amin, thanks for the advice like always hahha, I'm almost there!! Hopefully I'll be starting in the fall!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
Derek Zoolander
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M-Sport

[joepa voice]Come to Penn State[/joepa voice] (we have good architecture and #1 in landscape architecture)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

did you think about art center in pasadena? what about berkeley and stanford?
      02-12-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post

+1

I went to Cal Poly for hospitality not for architecture. but throughout the board CPP is definitely a very hands on school.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #9
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
did you think about art center in pasadena? what about berkeley and stanford?
From my understanding ACCD isn't accredited by the NAAB for a B.arch. I heard they have a good environmental design program but if it won't lead to a B.arch than I'm not interested. Berkeley and Stanford are probably out of my league
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
From my understanding ACCD isn't accredited by the NAAB for a B.arch. I heard they have a good environmental design program but if it won't lead to a B.arch than I'm not interested. Berkeley and Stanford are probably out of my league
Correct, Peter. ACCD is a great school and has a great Environmental Design program but nothing architecture related. However, some of its grads do land jobs in some architectural offices which have a specialty in a certain part of the market like interior architecture, retail design and branding/ strategic positioning. I had a grad from there working for me for a few months and his graphic capabilities, talent and knowledge in various medias was excellent.

It's also a great school if you want to become a cutting edge automotive designer. Many of their graduates works can be seen in Local Motors web site :

http://www.local-motors.com/studioHome.php
Appreciate 0